• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Which Diving watch

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which Diving watch"

Collapse

• markinbrussels
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    you bought a genuine Seiko off of ebay for half of the price ?

how you know it's pukka squire ?

Milan.
    If you don't trust Ebay go to Amazon. I got mine in Amazon for 95EUR, while the shop price was 160 EUR.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Wind-up? No need for an illuminated face?
    It's automatic - so long as you put it on your wrist, it will work.

And those blobs on the face will glow in the dark if they've been charged by light for a few seconds.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Spooky. Already ordered in black.
    Wind-up? No need for an illuminated face?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I'd get one of these
    Spooky. Already ordered in black.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Not looking for a backup computer, just a watch I can use on hols (diving) but durable enough not to get scratched to hell when I chuck it in my kit box. Also, not expensive enough for me to worry about it getting pilfered.
    I'd get one of these

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Top of the range - about 4k retail.
    OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Ploprof 1200 M - Steel on rubber strap - 224.32.55.21.01.001

But I wouldn't want to go recreational diving with it.

Better off with another computer which runs the same model as your primary. I've always coveted one of these.
    Yeah but I can't justify a D9 as a "cheeky backup". Would be nice though.

Not looking for a backup computer, just a watch I can use on hols (diving) but durable enough not to get scratched to hell when I chuck it in my kit box. Also, not expensive enough for me to worry about it getting pilfered.

Thanks to all so far though. Except bensey for missing the question.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Good question. I'd say that as well as being waterproof at depths greater than you are, a decent diving watch needs a sapphire face, to avoid scratches on coral or metal diving gear and so forth.

Not sure if £1000 is within the OP's price range, but can anyone recommend a waterproof watch with titanium casing and a sapphire face, waterproof to 200m, for at most that?

Or are we talking at least 2 or 3 grand, or (gulp) even more?
    Top of the range - about 4k retail.
    OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Ploprof 1200 M - Steel on rubber strap - 224.32.55.21.01.001

But I wouldn't want to go recreational diving with it.

Better off with another computer which runs the same model as your primary. I've always coveted one of these.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Good question. I'd say that as well as being waterproof at depths greater than you are, a decent diving watch needs a sapphire face, to avoid scratches on coral or metal diving gear and so forth.

Not sure if £1000 is within the OP's price range, but can anyone recommend a waterproof watch with titanium casing and a sapphire face, waterproof to 200m, for at most that?

Or are we talking at least 2 or 3 grand, or (gulp) even more?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I'd be inclined to get a cheap plastic watch, fill it with white spirit and put it in a plastic bag. Bet that would work.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    do you do diving with it ?

if yes,

how can you risk buying a fake ?

Milan.
    It's not a diving watch which is why my original reply started "I can't give you any specific advice regarding which watch to buy...".

Do try and keep up.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

RUSSIAN SPECIAL FORCES DIVER WATCH, 70's, RARE!!! 8 on eBay (end time 01-Sep-10 05:31:20 BST)

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Solid construction, accurate timekeeping, genuine stamped paperwork and warranty.

In the 5 years I have had it, it has had one minor issue which resulted in me returning it to Seiko UK for attention and they never questioned its authenticity.

Admittedly, regardless of the research I did prior to purchase, there was the risk it may have been fake but I was prepared to take the risk for the sum involved.

do you do diving with it ?

if yes,

how can you risk buying a fake ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied

Milan.
    Solid construction, accurate timekeeping, genuine stamped paperwork and warranty.

In the 5 years I have had it, it has had one minor issue which resulted in me returning it to Seiko UK for attention and they never questioned its authenticity.

Admittedly, regardless of the research I did prior to purchase, there was the risk it may have been fake but I was prepared to take the risk for the sum involved.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I can't give you any specific advice regarding which watch to buy but would suggest, once you have narrowed your search down, to check on eBay as well.

In 2005, I bought a genuine Seiko Sportura watch for everyday use for £160, from eBay, which was half the UK high street price.

I did my research beforehand and satisfied myself that the watch and seller were genuine.

Looking at the documentation received with the watch, the seller was 'importing' them from Singapore and selling them on eBay.

I suspect he was able to do this due to a combination, at the time, of a favourable exchange rate and also by managing to get them into the UK on the cheap.

If you'd like details of the sellers eBay ID, as he seemed to sell a lot of Seiko watches, let me know and I will PM you the details.
    (Just to note, I have no other relationship with this seller).

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I can't give you any specific advice regarding which watch to buy but would suggest, once you have narrowed your search down, to check on eBay as well.

In 2005, I bought a genuine Seiko Sportura watch for everyday use for £160, from eBay, which was half the UK high street price.

I did my research beforehand and satisfied myself that the watch and seller were genuine.

Looking at the documentation received with the watch, the seller was 'importing' them from Singapore and selling them on eBay.

I suspect he was able to do this due to a combination, at the time, of a favourable exchange rate and also by managing to get them into the UK on the cheap.

If you'd like details of the sellers eBay ID, as he seemed to sell a lot of Seiko watches, let me know and I will PM you the details.
    (Just to note, I have no other relationship with this seller).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X