• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Backpacking/camping abroad"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    try Couchsurfing or Hospitality club.

When you sign up to couchsurfing for example you validate yourself (cant remember exactly how but i think it was similar to paypal)

When someone stays at your place you write a review of them and vice versa, you also update information such as "i can verify there identity" (i.e you've seen their passport etc.

When someone requests to stay at yours they can see who you have hosted in the past and the reviews and you can see their reviews and similar to Linked In / Facebook, you can see if anyone you know has a relationship to them i.e a person you previously hosted also stayed at theirs or hosted them.

Obviously you can choose where you request to stay and you are also under no obligation to accept any request from others.

You also lsit what is available and what is expected of them

i.e
    - "a sofa no bedding" or "bring a sleeping bag" or possibly as good as "you have your own room")
    - cooking is permitted
    - free internet
    - phone use should be requested before use
    - can collect you from airport/station or no means of transport you need to find your own way

they usually cook a meal from their own country and/or buy some beers/wine as a thank you for your hospitality but no payment is expected.

People don't go on holiday to nick TV's etc. and it's a great way to meet new people.

For the visitors point of view you get a floor/sofa/room/bedroom (depending on what the person offers which is detailed in their profile) in a place you need, the person is likely to be very helpful in pointing out places to go see and possibly generous enough to cook you some food and/or pick you up from the airport/station etc. In return, all they expect is you appreciate there few rules i.e no international calls or ask before you use the internet etc.

2 different ex girlfriends were into HC and Couchsurfing and we ended up hosting 10 or so people and staying with 1 lot of people.
    Last edited by chef; 17 August 2010, 11:05.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    One friend of mine spent a summer in Spain free by doing general IT work in hotels in exchange for accommodation and food. Another in SA did similar by doing web design.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I'm not convinced people go on holiday and end up relaxing and enjoying themselves. Staying at home would be easier.
    The secret, in my opinion, is to go for at least two or three weeks, and not to have too much of a plan. I often just go somewhere and drive around staying in different places as I come across them.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    That looks like an average hotel room, minus a stained bed. One costing £50/night or more and something I'm keen to avoid.
    But it's 8p. Even you can stretch to that.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    You'd also need a basic stove (for coffee and hot water for a wash) - you can get tiny ones about the size of a washbag, plus a torch, towel, change of clothes etc.
    I'd love to know how you get on.
    I tried doing it with almost no assesories (except for a change of pants and socks, unlike last time), but that was too minimalist for night time comfort. I was hoping I would find a) a cheap hotel, or failing that b) a nice spot to sleep under the stars. It turned out to be c) a nightmare finding a decent spot out of public view. Dogs (and dog walkers) are a pain. Just a sleeping bag would have made a good spot out of a bad one though. A tent would make more difference, although adds visibility and the amount to carry. A camping stove? Starting to get a bit assessorised (where do you stop?). I don't mind buying food, especially from supermarkets. I think you can wear the same trousers for a few days without a problem. Maybe a week

Actually I did have with me a large heavy towel, bigger than strictly necessary, which was useful for all sorts of things, not least the beach. I also had my iPod Touch, no problem finding WiFi spots and even spotted a free electrical outlet for recharging.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I can't see you getting away with camping gear as hand luggage. You'd also need a basic stove (for coffee and hot water for a wash) - you can get tiny ones about the size of a washbag, plus a torch, towel, change of clothes etc.
    I'd love to know how you get on.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Perhaps, because the idea of a holiday is to enjoy yourself, not method-act in preparation for a role as a tramp?

I've no problem people enjoying the great outdoors in a primitive way, not my thing but I can see the appeal in theory. But you don't even sound like you enjoy it.
    I'm not convinced people go on holiday and end up relaxing and enjoying themselves. Staying at home would be easier.

Saying that, days were enjoyable. The key was to do it cheaply. Why spend £20 on a plane ticket only to burn through that same amount in return half a night sleep in a grotty hotel? Madness. A mugs game.

Nights are a bit of a problem to do cheaply as I described, but I am working on it (see thread).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Anyone been camping abroad recently? After a recent ultra sleeping rough holiday (not even taking a tent or sleeping bag, just skulking about at night looking for a place to lay down for the night in normal clothes), I've been thinking about going upmarket and buying a tent and a sleeping bag. Hotels are horribly expensive for the price of a bed, and are pretty grotty too. I might face paying for a camp site though, but if not a tent will make nights less long and unhealthy. Jesus, the places I kipped were rough. My feet are also covered in blisters from all the wandering about looking for places to kip.
    Why pay £hundreds on a holiday when a £20 tent and a £20 Ryanair ticket will do?
    Perhaps, because the idea of a holiday is to enjoy yourself, not method-act in preparation for a role as a tramp?

I've no problem people enjoying the great outdoors in a primitive way, not my thing but I can see the appeal in theory. But you don't even sound like you enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You could always stay here
    That looks like an average hotel room, minus a stained bed. One costing £50/night or more and something I'm keen to avoid.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    You could always stay here

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I had a look at a few sample tents in the shops earlier and now have a better idea of how they work and how they are packed. Hmm, metal. You seen to get quite a lot for your money, but it does look as if carrying one as hand luggage is not feasible with a budget airline. Trouble is, airline hold costs (£15 * 2) are more than a cheap tent (£20) costs, but still much less than even one night's stay in a rip-off hotel (£50/night).

Check this out:
    There are three official sites in Lanzarote, all are free of charge and subsidized by the relevant ayuntamientos (town halls).
    Why pay £hundreds on a holiday when a £20 tent and a £20 Ryanair ticket will do?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Flip, yes, you're right. I'll have to improvise my own tent pegs on arrival, or pay for hold storage.
    You could try putting it through the "Fragile" section, I don't think they charge for that yet.

I know a guy who does that with his fishing rods.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    But the problem could be when the bag goes throught xray, it may be classed as dangerous
    Pole with sharp point etc.
    Flip, yes, you're right. I'll have to improvise my own tent pegs on arrival, or pay for hold storage.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Nope, should be ok - pack size will be a tube 31cm long, 13cm diameter so should fit in the bottom of the bag easily.
    But the problem could be when the bag goes throught xray, it may be classed as dangerous
    Pole with sharp point etc.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Nope, should be ok - pack size will be a tube 31cm long, 13cm diameter so should fit in the bottom of the bag easily.
    Ah great. That explainsd the mystery of the missing dimension. I hadn't considered cylinders. Presumably one or more poles fit together to make longer ones. Those and tent pegs would ideally be plastic, to save setting off airport metal detectors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X