• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backpacking/camping abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Warner? BBC News - Nicholas Warner, homeless Briton in Dubai, returns to UK

Mr Warner had been sleeping in parks and public places around the city for nearly 12 weeks.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      How does this work exactly?

How long do these holidays last? Are we talking Saturday night or weeks at a time? How do you wash? How do you eat? What sort of places are you going? What do you do when you are there?
      Just quick cheap trips abroad in clement European type non-Winter weather. Beach holidays, that kind of thing. I don't care for paying £50/night for some grotty hotel, for the sake of laying down for a while. If camping assessors pack down to a small size, the option of not using hotels is available and adds to ones freedom and budget nicely. I tend not to eat in hotels anyway, as it's far too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        So the real packed dimensions will be too big to fit into an airline cabin bag (55cm * 40cm * 20cm)?
        Nope, should be ok - pack size will be a tube 31cm long, 13cm diameter so should fit in the bottom of the bag easily.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Is he a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Nope, should be ok - pack size will be a tube 31cm long, 13cm diameter so should fit in the bottom of the bag easily.
            Ah great. That explainsd the mystery of the missing dimension. I hadn't considered cylinders. Presumably one or more poles fit together to make longer ones. Those and tent pegs would ideally be plastic, to save setting off airport metal detectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              But the problem could be when the bag goes throught xray, it may be classed as dangerous
              Pole with sharp point etc.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                But the problem could be when the bag goes throught xray, it may be classed as dangerous
                Pole with sharp point etc.
                Flip, yes, you're right. I'll have to improvise my own tent pegs on arrival, or pay for hold storage.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Flip, yes, you're right. I'll have to improvise my own tent pegs on arrival, or pay for hold storage.
                  You could try putting it through the "Fragile" section, I don't think they charge for that yet.

I know a guy who does that with his fishing rods.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I had a look at a few sample tents in the shops earlier and now have a better idea of how they work and how they are packed. Hmm, metal. You seen to get quite a lot for your money, but it does look as if carrying one as hand luggage is not feasible with a budget airline. Trouble is, airline hold costs (£15 * 2) are more than a cheap tent (£20) costs, but still much less than even one night's stay in a rip-off hotel (£50/night).

Check this out:
                    There are three official sites in Lanzarote, all are free of charge and subsidized by the relevant ayuntamientos (town halls).
                    Why pay £hundreds on a holiday when a £20 tent and a £20 Ryanair ticket will do?

Comment

You could always stay here
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X