• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Your home town

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Your home town"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Sarf London me. Go back there? Not likely.
    Dulwich or Catford?

Makes a difference

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I agree, what about compromise?

Had a mate whose girlfriend insisted he move 300 miles north and leave his career and flat that he owned to live in a rented house with her.
    She was a temp and lived with her parents so had no ties to speak of, her reason for not compromising SHE didn't want to leave her friends.
    At a time when I was in a permie job I hated I met a girl who wanted me to pack it in and she would support me. She was a supply teacher - i.e. a temp really and suffered from bits of bench time.

Heck no! I still wanted to work, and I certainly didn't want to sell my own house at the bottom of the market.

Leave a comment:

• Bob The Drummer
    replied
    Drederick Tatum summed up nicely how I feel about my home town:

"That town is a dump. If you ever see me back there, you'll know I really ****ed up bad"

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Brisbane?
    Not even warm

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I still live there.

It's more of a tuliphole because almost everywhere I've worked locally has closed.

Not to mention all the mines, and most of the steelworks. Plus the General Hospital. And the NOR (oil refinery). And the Baglan Bay chemical works.

Once Margam goes (though that's in Port Talbot), that'll be the end of it.

The "high tech" stuff like the semiconductor assembly plant closed nigh on 20 years ago.
    I used to work a lot in south wales, it is dire round there I agree.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Sarf London me. Go back there? Not likely.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    When I got married me n the missus moved away from the home town (only about like 30 miles) but it meant we could (and had to) really work at our marriage as we could not just go and see old friends - best thing we ever did!

8 years later we moved back as we had kids who were growing up and wanted babysitters on the door step (both sets of parents live there)

The place is a bit in bred and they let anyone in now adays but it will not grow much as most of the surrounding land is properly farmed so is unlikely to be sold........

so all in all yes i would and did move back to my home town!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I live a couple of miles away from where I grew up. I am about 300 yards from streets where houses start at a million and 300 yards the other way tower blocks are filled with junkies. It's a mixed bag and really depends on your street.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Sounds like she should be your ex-gf
    I agree, what about compromise?

Had a mate whose girlfriend insisted he move 300 miles north and leave his career and flat that he owned to live in a rented house with her.
    She was a temp and lived with her parents so had no ties to speak of, her reason for not compromising SHE didn't want to leave her friends.

Leave a comment:

• h2oalex
    replied
    I think the beasite Boys said it best:
    "a nice place to visit but a better place to rob"
    originally from Kwebeck (French part of Canadia) and will never live there again

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Endless grief from gf about moving to her home village - Royston Vasey without the excitement, 'but I know everyone', yeah but 'everyone' not using it as a commuter village is a gene-pool challenged dullard desperate to share the slightest detail of their tedious existence.
    Been pushing the 'got to stay in reasonable distance of contracting locations' for years to stay somewhere most people would love to move to.
    Her solution - how about a perm job ? how about not until they come to take the house ...
    Sounds like she should be your ex-gf

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Endless grief from gf about moving to her home village - Royston Vasey without the excitement, 'but I know everyone', yeah but 'everyone' not using it as a commuter village is a gene-pool challenged dullard desperate to share the slightest detail of their tedious existence.
    Been pushing the 'got to stay in reasonable distance of contracting locations' for years to stay somewhere most people would love to move to.
    Her solution - how about a perm job ? how about not until they come to take the house ...

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    tulip hole. Glad I left. Folks moved away to the countryside too.
    WMMS

My Dad said "I've spent 30 years policing the bastards, the last thing I'm going to do is retire amongst them!". Harsh but true.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I was born and grew up in East London. Go back? There's nothing to go back to.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Wimbledon, up the hill. Pretty much unchanged from 40 years ago, although a bit more yuppified on the High Street.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X