• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Retirement age limit scrapped"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post
    Moreover, I think life was better when the good ol' USSR was the enemy.
    How the hell would YOU know what they were like? You, like most of the rest of the Yoof of today, were too busy being pampered and protected by these nasty selfish old "Boomers" that raised you in the lap of luxury. All in the hope that it might smooth your path in life and give you the headstart they never got.
    And all the gratitude we get for giving you the most carefree existence of any generation in the species' history is constant carping about "how hard it is nowadays".
    Like fat bloated cuckoos squatting on the edge of the palatial nests your parents have worked hard to raise you in, you seem more set on griping about the fact that you might have to eventually stand on your own two feet than actually getting off your fat arses and putting your weedy shoulders to the wheel.
    Still, I suppose we should not be too surprised that if you make life too cushy for the young, they never fully develop.
    No wonder the smart money is looking east for the next crop of dynamic leaders.

Leave a comment:

• markinbrussels
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Could we perhaps have a few more boo-hoo emoticons?

Anyway, without the Baby Boomer generation winning the Cold War, you whippersnappers would have no future to look forward to at all. So think on that whilst you labour hard to keep us in the lap of luxury in our frail dotage.

Rubbish. Ronald Reagan and Thatcher weren't babyboomers. BabyBoomers dodged the draft in the 60s to avoid being sent to Vietnam. They were too busy promoting world peace, May 68 ans smoking pot. In the 80s, too busy making money and holidaying in Spain.

Moreover, I think life was better when the good ol' USSR was the enemy. Unlike modern-day Jihadis, Soviets were a 'civilized' bunch.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

Anyway, without the Baby Boomer generation winning the Cold War, you whippersnappers would have no future to look forward to at all. So think on that whilst you labour hard to keep us in the lap of luxury in our frail dotage.

The difference is the prewar/wartime generation would have made sure their elderly were looked after at home, neighbours would have helped etc. Since the babyboomers took over you can look forward to a future sat on a threadbare orange seat, staring vacantly at cash in the attic whilst a 'carer' on minnimum wage who cannot pronounce your name ignores the fact that you've wet yourself again. Your kids will be too busy earning money to pay for it all.

Since the boomers DGAF, you'd better hope that your kids have the same values your parents had otherwise your future is as bright as the aforementioned pissstained seat.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post
    No short supply. Artificial high demand by babyboomer "investors" due to artificially low interest rates. That's the real cause of the housing bubble.

And, regarding pensions, I am not talking only about the UK.

USA and most of Europe have the same problem with the baby boomer generation.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Not really. Who is running the media & government? Who is promoting endless consumerism & buy now pay later?

The people who are currently in charge are the babyboomers.

hth
    The real problem with the younger generation seems to be that they always have to find somebody else responsible for their own lack of achievement. Youngsters today have been given every possible leg-up going in terms of what support they have been given by their "babyboomer" parents. Yet still they bitch and moan that they don't get a free house and car when they hock themselves up to the eyeballs insisting on 2 holidays abroad every year, all the latest phones and laptops, and ginormous Plasma TVs.
    They need to either up their game or change the record. Nobody else gives a tulip!!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen, ect are going to be pissing themselves laughing at us lot when they retire at 45 or so and they rest keep going until death, in the case of manual workers.

Leave a comment:

• markinbrussels
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

When most of these bought houses it wasn't to make vast profits, just somewhere to live. The market has done the rest because of short supply, not intentional actions.
    No short supply. Artificial high demand by babyboomer "investors" due to artificially low interest rates. That's the real cause of the housing bubble.

And, regarding pensions, I am not talking only about the UK.

USA and most of Europe have the same problem with the baby boomer generation.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I think you may be confusing the Boomers with the generation that followed........

HTH
    Not really. Who is running the media & government? Who is promoting endless consumerism & buy now pay later?

The people who are currently in charge are the babyboomers.

hth

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    My parents, aunts and uncles all have various large properties home and abroad that they could never afford to buy today.

I'm only in my 30's and although I did buy early I will never have the opportunity to make such massive and easy jumps up the ladder.

You old foggies have had it easy, kids today have no conception of the notion of foregoing instant gratification, making sacrifices, foregoing things for the long term benefit, and saving up to buy things!.
    FTFY

Must we do EVERYTHING for you?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You must be very young.
    Indeed. It's shocking to think my Dad retired at 55, and if I'd followed his advice and gone into local gubmint or fire or police services I could have already done it myself.

Retirement while you are still fit enough to enjoy it is definitely appealing.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Yes, your parents allowed you to discover things and the results speak for themselves.

You discovered that;

If you buy your kids video games you don't have to take them to the park and kick a ball around with them,
    if the missus works everyday you can have a new BMW every two years.
    If you don't like the height of your neighbours fence you can sue them. Obviously you can't speak to them cos you don't know their names.
    Giving kids ready meals is quicker and easier then peeling veg.
    Putting old people into a home is much more conveinient
    If there's blame there's a claim
    Woe betide anyone who disciplins your kids, I know my rights and besides they should learn behaviour at school
    **** the community, planet, everyone else as long as I get a fortnight in tenerife
    Why save when you get cash at 0% from mastercard, when that's full get another
    Any bloke over 30 that spends time with other peoples kids is a paedo
    Quantity = quality
    Won't work, can't work
    I know it still works but there's a newer one out now.

I think you may be confusing the Boomers with the generation that followed........

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Good - anybody who has read my previous comments on this topic in the past would know that I have been against the very notion of retirement and pensions .

Consider that you tend to die after two years of 'retirement' - The Universe abhors anidle vacuum- and I will manage or mis-manage my own money - I shall not dontate funds to any Pension Funds - please dont make me laugh.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Eh, No. It highlights that our parents let us discover most things for ourselves, and the results speak for themselves.

HTH
    My parents, aunts and uncles all have various large properties home and abroad that they could never afford to buy today.

I'm only in my 30's and although I did buy early I will never have the opportunity to make such massive and easy jumps up the ladder.

You old foggies have had it easy, kids today have no chance.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Eh, No. It highlights that our parents let us discover most things for ourselves, and the results speak for themselves.

HTH
    Yes, your parents allowed you to discover things and the results speak for themselves.

You discovered that;

If you buy your kids video games you don't have to take them to the park and kick a ball around with them,
    if the missus works everyday you can have a new BMW every two years.
    If you don't like the height of your neighbours fence you can sue them. Obviously you can't speak to them cos you don't know their names.
    Giving kids ready meals is quicker and easier then peeling veg.
    Putting old people into a home is much more conveinient
    If there's blame there's a claim
    Woe betide anyone who disciplins your kids, I know my rights and besides they should learn behaviour at school
    **** the community, planet, everyone else as long as I get a fortnight in tenerife
    Why save when you get cash at 0% from mastercard, when that's full get another
    Any bloke over 30 that spends time with other peoples kids is a paedo
    Quantity = quality
    Won't work, can't work
    I know it still works but there's a newer one out now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X