• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retirement age limit scrapped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Eh, No. It highlights that our parents let us discover most things for ourselves, and the results speak for themselves.

HTH
    My parents, aunts and uncles all have various large properties home and abroad that they could never afford to buy today.

I'm only in my 30's and although I did buy early I will never have the opportunity to make such massive and easy jumps up the ladder.

You old foggies have had it easy, kids today have no chance.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Good - anybody who has read my previous comments on this topic in the past would know that I have been against the very notion of retirement and pensions .

Consider that you tend to die after two years of 'retirement' - The Universe abhors anidle vacuum- and I will manage or mis-manage my own money - I shall not dontate funds to any Pension Funds - please dont make me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Yes, your parents allowed you to discover things and the results speak for themselves.

You discovered that;

If you buy your kids video games you don't have to take them to the park and kick a ball around with them,
        if the missus works everyday you can have a new BMW every two years.
        If you don't like the height of your neighbours fence you can sue them. Obviously you can't speak to them cos you don't know their names.
        Giving kids ready meals is quicker and easier then peeling veg.
        Putting old people into a home is much more conveinient
        If there's blame there's a claim
        Woe betide anyone who disciplins your kids, I know my rights and besides they should learn behaviour at school
        **** the community, planet, everyone else as long as I get a fortnight in tenerife
        Why save when you get cash at 0% from mastercard, when that's full get another
        Any bloke over 30 that spends time with other peoples kids is a paedo
        Quantity = quality
        Won't work, can't work
        I know it still works but there's a newer one out now.

I think you may be confusing the Boomers with the generation that followed........

HTH
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          You must be very young.
          Indeed. It's shocking to think my Dad retired at 55, and if I'd followed his advice and gone into local gubmint or fire or police services I could have already done it myself.

Retirement while you are still fit enough to enjoy it is definitely appealing.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            My parents, aunts and uncles all have various large properties home and abroad that they could never afford to buy today.

I'm only in my 30's and although I did buy early I will never have the opportunity to make such massive and easy jumps up the ladder.

You old foggies have had it easy, kids today have no conception of the notion of foregoing instant gratification, making sacrifices, foregoing things for the long term benefit, and saving up to buy things!.
            FTFY

Must we do EVERYTHING for you?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              I think you may be confusing the Boomers with the generation that followed........

HTH
              Not really. Who is running the media & government? Who is promoting endless consumerism & buy now pay later?

The people who are currently in charge are the babyboomers.

hth

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

When most of these bought houses it wasn't to make vast profits, just somewhere to live. The market has done the rest because of short supply, not intentional actions.
                No short supply. Artificial high demand by babyboomer "investors" due to artificially low interest rates. That's the real cause of the housing bubble.

And, regarding pensions, I am not talking only about the UK.

USA and most of Europe have the same problem with the baby boomer generation.

Comment

Doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen, ect are going to be pissing themselves laughing at us lot when they retire at 45 or so and they rest keep going until death, in the case of manual workers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    Not really. Who is running the media & government? Who is promoting endless consumerism & buy now pay later?

The people who are currently in charge are the babyboomers.

hth
                    The real problem with the younger generation seems to be that they always have to find somebody else responsible for their own lack of achievement. Youngsters today have been given every possible leg-up going in terms of what support they have been given by their "babyboomer" parents. Yet still they bitch and moan that they don't get a free house and car when they hock themselves up to the eyeballs insisting on 2 holidays abroad every year, all the latest phones and laptops, and ginormous Plasma TVs.
                    They need to either up their game or change the record. Nobody else gives a tulip!!

Comment

Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post
                      No short supply. Artificial high demand by babyboomer "investors" due to artificially low interest rates. That's the real cause of the housing bubble.

And, regarding pensions, I am not talking only about the UK.

USA and most of Europe have the same problem with the baby boomer generation.
                      Could we perhaps have a few more boo-hoo emoticons?

Anyway, without the Baby Boomer generation winning the Cold War, you whippersnappers would have no future to look forward to at all. So think on that whilst you labour hard to keep us in the lap of luxury in our frail dotage.

Comment

Working...
                      X