• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: PCG

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PCG"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Having opened our borders to Indian IT under Labour, we went from something like 3rd on the list of countries India does business with to 18th. Or something like that. Perhaps we we kicked out some ICTs they would start playing ball again.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    Ah, the listened to and respected by government bit? Ok, maybe you didn't read the ToR for the office of tax simplification, never mind put two and two together around where the ideas may have come from. Perhaps you haven't spotted that IT is no longer on the skills shortage list.

Anyway, before I get too deep into Malvolio mode, just stay tuned for some rather interesting news.
    Oh, tulip, the PCG have been taking marketing advice from AtW.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    And a lot of expense. The old credit card must be taking a real hammering (amongst other things )
    From on-line banking?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    That's a lot of surfing...
    And a lot of expense. The old credit card must be taking a real hammering (amongst other things )

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am doing it approximately 70 hours per week.

HTH
    That's a lot of surfing...

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Ah, the listened to and respected by government bit? Ok, maybe you didn't read the ToR for the office of tax simplification, never mind put two and two together around where the ideas may have come from. Perhaps you haven't spotted that IT is no longer on the skills shortage list.

Anyway, before I get too deep into Malvolio mode, just stay tuned for some rather interesting news.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    What a coherent argument. Care to explain which part you find 'pish' ?
    I think he highlighted that already

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post

What a feckin load of pish.
    What a coherent argument. Care to explain which part you find 'pish' ?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    You'll find that the figures - 1485 wins and 8 losses - suggest that the insurance does the job.

PCG represents good value when you consider all the tangible benefits. It represents unbelievable value when you include the intangibles - being a member of an organisation that is now respected and listened to by government, and that is promoting contracting and freelancing as a respectable driver of the UK economy.

I don't know why any contractor woudl NOT want to join, unless they had some outdated idiotic ideas of what PCG was all about, eh H.A.B?

What a feckin load of pish.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    @ V8

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Perhaps you should spend more time trying to run your 'real' business than posting tulip on here?

I am doing it approximately 70 hours per week.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Mind you, I haven't had to use my insurance yet...
    You'll find that the figures - 1485 wins and 8 losses - suggest that the insurance does the job.

PCG represents good value when you consider all the tangible benefits. It represents unbelievable value when you include the intangibles - being a member of an organisation that is now respected and listened to by government, and that is promoting contracting and freelancing as a respectable driver of the UK economy.

I don't know why any contractor woudl NOT want to join, unless they had some outdated idiotic ideas of what PCG was all about, eh H.A.B?
    Last edited by v8gaz; 27 July 2010, 15:23.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    You'll find more than a few people on here vociferously anti-PCG. I've been a member for over 10 years and I think that it represents value for money when you consider the lobbying they do. It's not a perfect organisation, but then it's easy for people here to slag them off - at least the majority of people running the PCG make an effort to improve the contractor's lot.
    I agree with all that. I've been a member for 10 years as well.

The thing about the insurances, contracts and advice, is that they have been devised by an organisation that knows more about IR35, S660, etc than any other, including HMG and HMRC.

I haven't been on the forums (or fora?) for years but they are a very good and up-to-date source of information. Including technical stuff.

Mind you, I haven't had to use my insurance yet...

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Well, it looks like the jury is out on whether they have done the main job required of them.
    If IR36 turns out to be logical, easy to understand and doesn't penalise us unfairly - job done.
    Does anyone know the alternative they are proposing - or do they not have one beyond 'this is rubbish and needs changing'.
    My own suggestion of 20% expense allowance, cough on the rest sounds like the best option !

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BdP View Post
    Is it worth joining?

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Nah, it's a waste of time.
    Aye.

Actually, I think they are a waste of space.

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    You'll find more than a few people on here vociferously anti-PCG.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X