• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Perhaps you should spend more time revising assembly language than posting tulip on here?

Perhaps you should spend more time trying to run your 'real' business than posting tulip on here?

Comment

You'll find more than a few people on here vociferously anti-PCG. I've been a member for over 10 years and I think that it represents value for money when you consider the lobbying they do. It's not a perfect organisation, but then it's easy for people here to slag them off - at least the majority of people running the PCG make an effort to improve the contractor's lot.

Up to you really.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Something constructive

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        You'll find more than a few people on here vociferously anti-PCG. I've been a member for over 10 years and I think that it represents value for money when you consider the lobbying they do. It's not a perfect organisation, but then it's easy for people here to slag them off - at least the majority of people running the PCG make an effort to improve the contractor's lot.

Up to you really.

Thanks.
        I am still shopping around for insurances as I have recently gone limited company from being a brolly.

Are the forums useful?

Comment

Again it's all subjective but I've found them very useful in the past.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Again it's all subjective but I've found them very useful in the past.
            WHS

I've found the templates useful in the past too.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by BdP View Post
              Is it worth joining?

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
              Nah, it's a waste of time.
              Aye.

Actually, I think they are a waste of space.

You'll find more than a few people on here vociferously anti-PCG.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Well, it looks like the jury is out on whether they have done the main job required of them.
                If IR36 turns out to be logical, easy to understand and doesn't penalise us unfairly - job done.
                Does anyone know the alternative they are proposing - or do they not have one beyond 'this is rubbish and needs changing'.
                My own suggestion of 20% expense allowance, cough on the rest sounds like the best option !

Comment

I agree with all that. I've been a member for 10 years as well.

The thing about the insurances, contracts and advice, is that they have been devised by an organisation that knows more about IR35, S660, etc than any other, including HMG and HMRC.

I haven't been on the forums (or fora?) for years but they are a very good and up-to-date source of information. Including technical stuff.

Mind you, I haven't had to use my insurance yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Mind you, I haven't had to use my insurance yet...
                    You'll find that the figures - 1485 wins and 8 losses - suggest that the insurance does the job.

PCG represents good value when you consider all the tangible benefits. It represents unbelievable value when you include the intangibles - being a member of an organisation that is now respected and listened to by government, and that is promoting contracting and freelancing as a respectable driver of the UK economy.

I don't know why any contractor woudl NOT want to join, unless they had some outdated idiotic ideas of what PCG was all about, eh H.A.B?
                    Last edited by v8gaz; 27 July 2010, 15:23.
                    World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                      Perhaps you should spend more time trying to run your 'real' business than posting tulip on here?

I am doing it approximately 70 hours per week.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X