• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rootkits

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rootkits"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    To be honest in an enterprise environment, if a server is riddled with malware; I'd recommend it was decommissioned and restarted from scratch. Especially if rootkits are suspected...
    Agreed. Or a temporary server could be built quickly to take the strain while a "proper" job was done.
    Another model is this ...

Viruses mmmm, ok well I can spend 2 hours removing them @ £60 or reinstall the OS for £30

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    To be honest in an enterprise environment, if a server is riddled with malware; I'd recommend it was decommissioned and restarted from scratch. Especially if rootkits are suspected...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Thanks for the insight

I'll often turn jobs like this down these days, as everyone knows a geeky teenager nearby who'll offer to do it for a tenner, so when I say it's likely to cost (even a modest) £50 these sort customers tend to turn green and go elsewhere. If they don't, and the job turns into a nightmare, then I could end up spending a hell of a lot of time for practically zilch return.

It was a batch of 'black screen of death' (vista boot), blue screen on boot and boot-loop jobs that put me off

I rarely found the 'charge an hour, spend 20 minutes' jobs!

Anyway, I'm glad this model is working for you.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    May I ask, how much did you charge local customer for this?

I find these sorts of jobs very time-consuming, so charging even £25 per hour can make for a hefty bill.

Only an hour. Not really fair to ask the customer to pay for the time I spent fixing my equipment (monitor blew up, PC died etc etc. Had a day of it. Also this virus had me stumped so spent quite a bit of time googling.

The thinking is this. By attracting this sort of work I am making connections locally and picking up bigger jobs (this is actually working, I picked up a big server upgrade job after doing a good job for someone removing a virus)

Also, it does keep you current. Imagine if I was called out to de-ming a server riddled with viruses, experience counts.

Major loss on this job financially speaking, but knowledge gained and also a feeling of job satisfaction. Also the chap was well chuffed, understood it had been a sod and said there may well be further jobs in the pipeline from other family and friends (I beleive this, I try and see the good in people)

Other jobs go smoothly and what is billed as an hour can sometimes be done in 20 minutes, if things go your way. Comme si comme ca. It's when you stop trying you have real problems.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Fixed.

What a flaming palaver.
    May I ask, how much did you charge local customer for this?

I find these sorts of jobs very time-consuming, so charging even £25 per hour can make for a hefty bill.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Fixed. Came close to reinstalling the OS, but persevered.
    I used the latest Ultimate Boot CD with XP slipstreamed into it to give a lightweight OS to allow me to run the tools. The machine itself has one of those annoying NVidia all in one chipsets so windows did not pick up the network. I switched to a laptop and put Clients HDD in an IcyBox (well Maplins equivalent)

I ran superantispyware and cleaned up all the crap. Then I let malware bytes and avg free take a peek. Also sophos anti rootkit and blacklight.

All clean.

I rebooted the machine, and the same problem occured.

I checked again the browser addons, all disabled.
    I ran process explorer and there was a google updater service running (part of the google toolbar I had disabled)

I uninstalled google toolbar, then blitzed the machine again in the icybox.

I then patched it, defragged it and fixed the DVD codec issues.

Then rebooted. Problem has gone away, and after some heavy surfing it is still all good.

What a flaming palaver.
    Fixed it for you...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Fixed. Came close to reinstalling the OS, but persevered.
    I used the latest Ultimate Boot CD with XP slipstreamed into it to give a lightweight OS to allow me to run the tools. The machine itself has one of those annoying NVidia all in one chipsets so windows did not pick up the network. I switched to a laptop and put Clients HDD in an IcyBox (well Maplins equivalent)

I ran superantispyware and cleaned up all the crap. Then I let malware bytes and avg free take a peek. Also sophos anti rootkit and blacklight.

All clean.

I rebooted the machine, and the same problem occured.

I checked again the browser addons, all disabled.
    I ran process explorer and there was a google updater service running (part of the google toolbar I had disabled)

I uninstalled google toolbar, then blitzed the machine again in the icybox.
    Then rebooted. Problem has gone away, and after some heavy surfing it is still all good.

I then patched it, defragged it and fixed the DVD codec issues.

What a flaming palaver.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Them rootkits look horrid. What is stop any viruses using same techniques to hide processes, change bootstrap, sit in bios etc?

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Not really sure. Seeing as you have no clue to the gamut of scans and approaches I have used you are not making an informed decision, rather an ill informed decision while not being in charge of the facts. I have a 100% success rate in removing malware where others have said the machine is a lost cause.

I do hope at work you make informed decisions rather than just wobbling around aimlessly scraping code samples from google and trying to gerry rig something together against a deadline.

Tosspot.
    That's a very dangerous claim to make...

(Unless of course we're talking full wipes etc, and even then...)

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Adding extra memory has pushed it over the edge.
    eh? How can adding extra memory 'push it over the edge' ?

Are you saying it can't power the new memory?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Hi,
    take the disk out of said machine or boot from a live disk distribution of linux with avgfree added. Now you are protected from the crap that has owned the box, and you can scan the disk to your hearts content knowing no wintel code can run. The story I hear from a number of guys is that most of the good stuff these days will own your AV software in order to hide itself. So once the machine is owned anything loaded to try and sort it out is compromised before it loads. spyware guard and spyware blaster are also very good

good luck

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    My dear old 75 Year old mum has just had one of these work from home pc defenders come to her aid.

She complained that her machine was slow
    so he investigated. Said her Norton was out of date, uninstalled it and stuck on Bitdefender. He then took a couple of apps off and said she needed additional memory. So he's upgraded that. Not expensive but £80.

She's on the phone saying it's getting really hot and now cutting out.

Frankly the guy who did it is a ******* idiot.

The reason. The laptop is at least around 10-12 years old. She's recently added skype and the spec is
    low. Adding extra memory has pushed it over the edge.

I would have got her to buy a new laptop, because now
    she's spent 80 and is heading back tomorrow. He won't get it fixed.

That's the problem with these stay at home PC vigilantes, they'll keep on struggling to fix stuff, charging away when in truth the best option would be to
    flog them a new laptop and make cash that way.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Might be useful too.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Just spotted another thing to try - ComboFix

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Had a dose of this ages ago. Avast sorted it out in the end with one of those boot time scans. I do them on a regular basis now (i.e. about once a week).
    Thanks HAB, will look into that one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X