• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nuclear response from North Korea"

Collapse

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    How many civillians lost their lives in Hiroshima (let alone Nagasaki). Was it more than 50,000?
    Originally posted by JRO
    "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
    Hiroshima and Nagasaki were a neccessary evil - a massive show of might. It gave Japan a way of backing down without losing too much face.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    How many civillians lost their lives in Hiroshima (let alone Nagasaki). Was it more than 50,000?
    Less civilians that were killed in Germany from Allied bombing campaigns, those did not serve much purpose apart from prolonging nazi regime as it was able to exploit such bombings to unite population.

Smarter bombings on targets like ball bearing plants were, sadly, too rare to have massive effect on German military production.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    If you had a son in the armed forces during WW2 and had seen the appalling casualties (50,000 US) from taking Okinawa & knew that the next stop was mainland Japan.
    What would you say if someone told you that by dropping just two bombs it could all be over in a couple of weeks without having to force a landing on mainland Japan?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Blame the Mericans, they built and used them. WHo can blame other nations for wanting the technology to 'protect themselves'. Part of me thinks every country should have nukes, so we can all sit down and every nation can speak and be and listened to on an equal level. Who would be a fool to use a nuke when every nation has them? And if someone did, and the whole world went up in nuclear smoke, maybe we as a race deserve it for being so....human?
    If you had a son in the armed forces during WW2 and had seen the appalling casualties (50,000 US) from taking Okinawa & knew that the next stop was mainland Japan.
    What would you say if someone told you that by dropping just two bombs it could all be over in a couple of weeks without having to force a landing on mainland Japan?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Blame the Mericans, they built and used them. WHo can blame other nations for wanting the technology to 'protect themselves'. Part of me stupidly thinks every country should have nukes, so we can all sit down and every nation can speak and be and listened to on an equal level. Who would be a fool to use a nuke when every nation has them? And if someone did, and the whole world went up in nuclear smoke, maybe we as a race deserve it for being so....human? However, the other part of me knows we need to keep them out of the wrong hands, however, I don't also want to see more wars where the selfish and self-centered people of the Western world actually take some enjoyment in seeing another war.....not caring about the many innocent lives lost.
    w h i t e s p a c e

HTH

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Blame the Mericans, they built and used them. WHo can blame other nations for wanting the technology to 'protect themselves'. Part of me stupidly thinks every country should have nukes, so we can all sit down and every nation can speak and be and listened to on an equal level. Who would be a fool to use a nuke when every nation has them? And if someone did, and the whole world went up in nuclear smoke, maybe we as a race deserve it for being so....human? However, the other side of me knows we need to keep them out of the wrong hands. However, I don't also want to see more dodgy wars where many of the selfish and self-centered people of the Western world actually take some enjoyment in seeing another war.....not caring about the many innocent lives being lost (both sides), many of whom want piece like the rest of us.
    Last edited by SuperZ; 25 July 2010, 15:46.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Well, not to their own citizens.
    Much the same way North Korea won the World Cup Final against Brazil by scoring winning goal - TV feeds available of that

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Well, not to their own citizens. I am sure the news reports will state that the South/US backed down and didn't undertake the exercise.
    Right. But meanwhile the rest of the world know the truth.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No, they won't lose their face.
    Well, not to their own citizens. I am sure the news reports will state that the South/US backed down and didn't undertake the exercise.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    So then it's put up or shut up, right?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If they rattle the sabre and do nothing, do they not lose face?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    So South Korea has begun it's war games. Nothing as yet from NK. If they rattle the sabre and do nothing, do they not lose face? This would be bad for them as eastern culture is all about saving face at all costs.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It was Iran that should have been dealt with in 2003, not Iraq.
    Another bit of major sense from Mr squirrel, although I do have a bit of sympathy for Iranians considering what happened in 1957.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    We ought to engineer a major conflict between N Korea and Iran and with a bit of luck they will nuke each other. That would only leave Belgium from the "axis of evil" states.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    That's why these mullahs get other people to be suicide bombers, rather than doing it themselves.
    It's common practice for leaders to send others to die - I did not see GW Bush Jnr disaming EFPs in Iraq.

Saddam wasn't into religion that much - he was far more secular because it would have eroded his personal power.

It was Iran that should have been dealt with in 2003, not Iraq.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X