• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract of the week...."

Collapse

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    I still get that satisfaction when I work contract - walking back to the station.. "another £xxx"
    I know the feeling.
    I'm invoicing weekly at the moment which although is more admin, gives me that special buzz on a more regular basis.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Isnt it less than minimum wage ?

Minimum wage is for workers with no skills. It is disgusting that a major 'automotive' company wants a database designed using access and wants to pay minimum wage. At least in McDonalds you get a free meal.

Fixed

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    I had a summer job fixing shopping trolleys - great fun, mostly outdoors!

Another one at the Swafega factory was pretty good too.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Isnt it less than minimum wage ?

Minimum wage is for workers with no skills. It is disgusting that a major 'automotive' company wants a database designed and wants to pay minimum wage. At least in McDonalds you get a free meal.

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    That was your contractor gene kicking in, even back then!

I still get that satisfaction when I work contract - walking back to the station.. "another £xxx"

I don't get that at all when I work perm, even though the salary isn't terribly dissimilar. Dunno why.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Surely everybody has experienced the thrill of realising that in the time it takes you to go to the vending machine and buy a packet of crisps, you've earned enough for the crisps.
    You have a vending machine next to your desk?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Everybody does that on their first job don't they? Surely everybody has experienced the thrill of realising that in the time it takes you to go to the vending machine and buy a packet of crisps, you've earned enough for the crisps.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    I got a temp job doing something similar to this at Marconi in 1999 - I was in my summer break from university.

I got £5.50 an hour, which I used to obsessively total up each hour to work out how much I'd earnt so far..
    That was your contractor gene kicking in, even back then!

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    Originally posted by crimdon View Post
    Wage £5.85 Per Hour

Location PETERLEE, County Durham SR8

Duration Temporary

Description

Our client is a top automotive component manufacturing company with worldwide representation and a reputation second to none. They are currently looking for a temporary IT professional to join the team for probably a 4 month period.The role will be to write and develop a costing database that can be rolled out across the organisation. The role will be to. prepare, from ground level up, a fully functioning database using Access.This is an ideal opportunity for someone with Access knowledge looking to gain experience in this temporary position with an organisation that has an excellent reputation for success in its field.

Anyone fancy a trip to the northeast?
    I got a temp job doing something similar to this at Marconi in 1999 - I was in my summer break from university.

I got £5.50 an hour, which I used to obsessively total up each hour to work out how much I'd earnt so far..

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    That is very similar to my second ever contract. I got £6.25/hr
    I once had a job cleaning buses as well. I was 14 but funnily enough I haven't included it in my list of contracts!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Indeed.

Fixing fruit machines started out at £5.50/hr.

I then had a rate increase to a whole £6/hr.

But, as mentioned above, it a) gave me something (tedious, but in some ways quite fun) to do b) filled a hole in the CV and c) provided some pin money.
    And you could 'dip' a few quid when you were round the back with the door off.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    I spent a couple of months fixing defective monitors a few years back. All the tubes were skewed, fixing them involved pulling the back off, fiddling with the beam guides and applying adhesive magnets to adjust the picture. £3.50 hour and the opportunity to electricute yourself.
    Trouble at mill! One on't cross beams gone owt askew on't treadle!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    When I was a desperate student, I worked at the BAT ciggie factory in Southampton as a general dogsbody.

I forget how much it was an hour, but it wasn't enough as I used to come home stinking of tobacco. Grim.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    adhesive magnets
    Aren't they all?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I spent a couple of months fixing defective monitors a few years back. All the tubes were skewed, fixing them involved pulling the back off, fiddling with the beam guides and applying adhesive magnets to adjust the picture. £3.50 hour and the opportunity to electricute yourself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X