• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which TV shall I buy?"

Collapse

• benn0
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    This is just so typical british. Everything has to have a label.

How about a council flat in the middle of Chelsea. There are and they are actually quite nice (if I could only afford the 800k quid instead of the 2 million average price). But to the british middle class who needs a label to be happy in their life, a private flat in the Isle of dogs with gang fights and drugs smuggling in the backgardens, is way more appealing.....
    Don't get 'em started.....

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by bobsmithldn
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ratewhore
    You're in a council flat (sorry, local authority) and you're posting on a contractors forum?

exactly, what the **** is going on ... are you tight?
    This is just so typical british. Everything has to have a label.

How about a council flat in the middle of Chelsea. There are and they are actually quite nice (if I could only afford the 800k quid instead of the 2 million average price). But to the british middle class who needs a label to be happy in their life, a private flat in the Isle of dogs with gang fights and drugs smuggling in the backgardens, is way more appealing.....

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    You're in a council flat (sorry, local authority) and you're posting on a contractors forum?

exactly, what the **** is going on ... are you tight?

Leave a comment:

• benn0
    replied
    The council flat bit is just to wind you lot up.

Wouldn't recommend against the Panasonic panel though. Best picture quality you will find on any standard definition plasma and in my opinion money much better spent than on a HD ready screen with features you probably won't use for some time yet.

You would need an amp and speaker package so I went for the pseudo surround Yamaha to pacify the wife as she didn;t want speakers everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Hitachi 42PD7200, goes great on the wall.

JVC TH-R3 surround sound system.

Would send you a picture but you might get jealous

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    How does that work then? Getting a council flat while working? Are they on estate agents lists?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    TVs are vulgar objects. Get a library instead.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by benn0

Just awaiting feedback from the council about whether it's OK to drill a hole in the wall to attach it (I have a council flat), before getting them round to wall mount it.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    I see browns occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• benn0
    replied
    I've just bought bought this:

TV

and this:

Sound

And very nice it is too.

High def is a waste of money at the moment. It'll cost a fortune for SKY HD and only a limited number of programmes will be broadcast in HD to begin with. DVD via component is pretty damned good anyway, so I'll go HD onece the technology has evolved in few years.

Just awaiting feedback from the council about whether it's OK to drill a hole in the wall to attach it (I have a council flat), before getting them round to wall mount it.

Lovely.

Try here for in depth discussion of all technologies.

Leave a comment:

• eternalnomad
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Everybody is happy here with their LCD/Plasma? Which one you have gone for? A contractor cannot have less I am afraid.

Mind you that there is a religion war between plasma/lcd supporters.

How about DLP rear projector? They are value for the money and the quality is nearly the same as plasma/lcd.

What strikes me is that the best quality still come from the CRT. Scary, huh, isn't it? The progress is giving us worse products for more money. Just like in IT.
    About 6 months ago I purchased a Toshiba 46wm48 DLP TV

IMHO its a very nice set, it has a HDMI input, stunning images from a DVD or Sky source but crap with normal TV. Some Purists would argue that the Samsung has a better picture and is the DLP to go for. (see www.avforums.com) but I am happy with my choice.

I took ages deciding on Plasma 'v' DLP 'v' LCD and I came to the conclusion that all TV technologies have a drawback (plasma=lower screen life, LCD=higher cost).

DLP's main drawback is the "rainbow" effect which I do see sometimes on my TV. Some people see rainbows and others dont - its not down to the TV set but down to the person watching (I see more rainbows if I am tired)

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    I wouldnt consider anything smaller than 32 inches if you are going LCD. Also get something with one of those fancy HDMI connectors (you might also have to fork out a couple hundred pounds for a decent DVD player that has a HDMI connector too).

Having said that, I was looking at some rear projection tv's at commet and they were aweseom! Of course they were playing a HD video but the image was so clear that I asked the monkey walking the floor if I could buy that tv but he said no as it was their only demo model.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    I'm waiting until the price drops on the LCD/Plasma screen TV's. Our TV broke on new years eve so I bought a 32 inch CRT screen for £399. Personally I don't think the image quality is that great on the big LCD and Plasma screens.
    I think they probably never will go anywhere closer with CRT quality, unless you have High Definition source and can display at 720p (1080 at the pure resolution can only be natively displayed on few LCDs - next reason why they will try to push a new wave of TV sales in the next 2-3 years). I think it's better to wait Sky launching HD and then see what's available.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I'm waiting until the price drops on the LCD/Plasma screen TV's. Our TV broke on new years eve so I bought a 32 inch CRT screen for £399. Personally I don't think the image quality is that great on the big LCD and Plasma screens.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    Second hand Panasonic for £40 from local TV shop.
    That's what I have and it works for me. Nice picture too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X