• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Which TV shall I buy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Which TV shall I buy?

    Everybody is happy here with their LCD/Plasma? Which one you have gone for? A contractor cannot have less I am afraid.

    Mind you that there is a religion war between plasma/lcd supporters.

    How about DLP rear projector? They are value for the money and the quality is nearly the same as plasma/lcd.

    What strikes me is that the best quality still come from the CRT. Scary, huh, isn't it? The progress is giving us worse products for more money. Just like in IT.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

    #2
    Second hand Panasonic for £40 from local TV shop.
    That's what I have and it works for me. Nice picture too.

    Comment


      #3
      I'm waiting until the price drops on the LCD/Plasma screen TV's. Our TV broke on new years eve so I bought a 32 inch CRT screen for £399. Personally I don't think the image quality is that great on the big LCD and Plasma screens.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

      I preferred version 1!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by TonyEnglish
        I'm waiting until the price drops on the LCD/Plasma screen TV's. Our TV broke on new years eve so I bought a 32 inch CRT screen for £399. Personally I don't think the image quality is that great on the big LCD and Plasma screens.
        I think they probably never will go anywhere closer with CRT quality, unless you have High Definition source and can display at 720p (1080 at the pure resolution can only be natively displayed on few LCDs - next reason why they will try to push a new wave of TV sales in the next 2-3 years). I think it's better to wait Sky launching HD and then see what's available.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

        Comment


          #5
          I wouldnt consider anything smaller than 32 inches if you are going LCD. Also get something with one of those fancy HDMI connectors (you might also have to fork out a couple hundred pounds for a decent DVD player that has a HDMI connector too).

          Having said that, I was looking at some rear projection tv's at commet and they were aweseom! Of course they were playing a HD video but the image was so clear that I asked the monkey walking the floor if I could buy that tv but he said no as it was their only demo model.

          Mailman

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Francko
            Everybody is happy here with their LCD/Plasma? Which one you have gone for? A contractor cannot have less I am afraid.

            Mind you that there is a religion war between plasma/lcd supporters.

            How about DLP rear projector? They are value for the money and the quality is nearly the same as plasma/lcd.

            What strikes me is that the best quality still come from the CRT. Scary, huh, isn't it? The progress is giving us worse products for more money. Just like in IT.
            About 6 months ago I purchased a Toshiba 46wm48 DLP TV

            IMHO its a very nice set, it has a HDMI input, stunning images from a DVD or Sky source but crap with normal TV. Some Purists would argue that the Samsung has a better picture and is the DLP to go for. (see www.avforums.com) but I am happy with my choice.

            I took ages deciding on Plasma 'v' DLP 'v' LCD and I came to the conclusion that all TV technologies have a drawback (plasma=lower screen life, LCD=higher cost).

            DLP's main drawback is the "rainbow" effect which I do see sometimes on my TV. Some people see rainbows and others dont - its not down to the TV set but down to the person watching (I see more rainbows if I am tired)

            Comment


              #7
              I've just bought bought this:

              TV

              and this:

              Sound

              And very nice it is too.

              High def is a waste of money at the moment. It'll cost a fortune for SKY HD and only a limited number of programmes will be broadcast in HD to begin with. DVD via component is pretty damned good anyway, so I'll go HD onece the technology has evolved in few years.

              Just awaiting feedback from the council about whether it's OK to drill a hole in the wall to attach it (I have a council flat), before getting them round to wall mount it.

              Lovely.

              Try here for in depth discussion of all technologies.

              Comment


                #8
                I see browns occasionally.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by benn0

                  Just awaiting feedback from the council about whether it's OK to drill a hole in the wall to attach it (I have a council flat), before getting them round to wall mount it.
                  You're in a council flat (sorry, local authority) and you're posting on a contractors forum?

                  Older and ...well, just older!!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    TVs are vulgar objects. Get a library instead.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X