• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vuvuzela Concerto in B Flat"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    You could practice your embouchure.........
    I think I am going to be sick.

No vuvuzela lips for me.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    And I did set things up by saying "I'm not a brass player..." rather than "I'm not a woodwind player..."
    We have a wonderful language where sometimes a word can mean more than one thing and you need to apply a degree of comprehension to work out which is meant under the circs. Unhappily The Normal Police doesn't like that.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    If Churchill gets the horn I would advise you lot to stay out of the showers.
    You could practice your embouchure.........

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    If Churchill gets the horn I would advise you lot to stay out of the showers.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    ooh, that is beyond picky. It's so far beyond picky that you should probably nip into threaded's time machine and inform Miles Davis, who called his horn a horn all through his life and autobiography.

And to think I edited my post from "major 4th" to "perfect 4th" to preempt the nitpickers!
    I did say "normally'.........

There are quite a few Jazzmen who play "French Horn" as well...... but "Hornman", "Horn blower" etc most often refers to the Sax player.....

Originally posted by Charlie Parker View Post
    "Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art." - CHARLIE PARKER
    Miles might call a trumpet a horn but Bird calls a Sax a horn.......

Originally posted by Joe Lovano - on John Coltrane View Post
    In 1965, when this recording was made, he seemed to fill the room with his tone in a different way. In the early ‘60s, he was playing through his horn and flying around his horn—his sound attacked you, it came at you.
    And Trane played horn too....

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Not to be picky but..... a Horn player normally plays Sax
    ooh, that is beyond picky. It's so far beyond picky that you should probably nip into threaded's time machine and inform Miles Davis, who called his horn a horn all through his life and autobiography.

And to think I edited my post from "major 4th" to "perfect 4th" to preempt the nitpickers!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Just made 2 grand on the frogs game, laid up on not being 0-0.

It's a chorus of happiness for me.
    Another 200 made on the other game.

Made 3 grand in the last 24 hours.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    It's Bb in the Mex - Uru game on at the moment.
    Just made 2 grand on the frogs game, laid up on not being 0-0.

It's a chorus of happiness for me.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    d sharp.
    It's Bb in the Mex - Uru game on at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    d sharp.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I believe I am right in saying that to qualify as a proper "Cockney", you must be born within earshot of the Bow Bells. If that is still a qualification then most modern "Cockneys" would be more at home with a Vuvuzela!!
    St-Mary-le-Bow bells doesn't have quite the same "ring" but they are supposed to be what are within earshot.......

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    .......I bet a proper horn player would do better.
    Not to be picky but..... a Horn player normally plays Sax..... which has a very different embouchure than brass players (which is what you would use for the Vuvu.....).

I play Sax but can't blow a Trumpet for Tulip!!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Come the olympics it's going to be the spoons for all those cockneys.
    I believe I am right in saying that to qualify as a proper "Cockney", you must be born within earshot of the Bow Bells. If that is still a qualification then most modern "Cockneys" would be more at home with a Vuvuzela!!

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Right. TL your roving reporter had a go on a real life vuvuzela last night, courtesy of an ex-SA radio DJ. They are just a plastic horn-shaped tube so they require an embouchure, and I'm not a brass player. But you can reasonably get 2 notes out of them: 1 main note and another a perfect 4th above it. With some mad squeezing I almost got a third note, an octave above the main one, but then my tonsils felt like they'd flipped back to front and I gave up. But I bet a proper horn player would do better.
    Last edited by thunderlizard; 22 June 2010, 12:45.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Even if it is B flat, that concerto's scored in the wrong octave.
    Correct

Not to detract from your observation, but that has been mentioned in many of the places the score has been posted. It seems odd that minestrone's towering musical genius - backed up by nothing less than a piano - didn't spot that

Leave a comment:

Working...
X