• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is a good rate these days?"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    A mate scored 850/day + expenses +WFH fridays on his first contract, had to fly down to heathrow and stay but I had to tell him this was not normal, it lasted years as well...
    I was getting 400 a day plus all expenses and paid travel time in the late 1980s, but that was for 3 weeks at a time. One lucky chap there on similar money went out to install something and got extended to about 18 months without having to renegotiate his rate.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Best rate has been 500/day last year (fluked into a non-IT interim mgmt role) usually 3-400 but it's oop north so not bad.
    A mate scored 850/day + expenses +WFH fridays on his first contract, had to fly down to heathrow and stay but I had to tell him this was not normal, it lasted years as well...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Comparing rates now to what they were in the .com boom is like buying tulip bulbs by the crate cause we're just in a dip and the dutch will again start paying millions for them!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I do a job that Bob has never been able to get the hang of.
    You work in an English speaking call centre?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I've never received even 400 per day.

But then again, I do a job that Bob has never been able to get the hang of. For which I'm grateful.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    "should be"... so I guess you're not. I think this is same across our industry, because rates have fallen since the dot-com days. My line of work paid £1k a day in 2000 but it's averaging less than half that. Fortunately I'm a little better off than that, for now, but can't see it lasting.
    My best ever rate was $100 per hour, but that was 10 years ago now. It's been downhill since then

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    "should be"... so I guess you're not. I think this is same across our industry, because rates have fallen since the dot-com days. My line of work paid £1k a day in 2000 but it's averaging less than half that. Fortunately I'm a little better off than that, for now, but can't see it lasting.
    Foreign non-EU imports keeping rates down.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I was earning £480 p/d in the late nineties.

Taking into account inflation, I should be getting £620 p/d now.

Historical UK Inflation And Price Conversion

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Inflation

I was earning £480 p/d in the late nineties.

Taking into account inflation, I should be getting £620 p/d now.

Historical UK Inflation And Price Conversion

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    But if you can get 60k as a permie you would be looking at more like £450+ for a contract. £250 a day is roughly what a permie on £30-35k could charge as a contractor, so it still works out better. You're not comparing like with like.
    Point taken.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    £250 per day is only 60k per year which you could get being permie.
    But if you can get 60k as a permie you would be looking at more like £450+ for a contract. £250 a day is roughly what a permie on £30-35k could charge as a contractor, so it still works out better. You're not comparing like with like.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Asked the agent why, he said the client was not getting the right people, when the role had a lower rate
    One of the few times I would like to be face to face with a Pimp........ So I could punch him repeatedly!!!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I was quoted a good rate had a phone interview, offered the role, then they wanted to drop the rate.

I said no thanks.

Asked the agent why, he said the client was not getting the right people, when the role had a lower rate

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    A very generalised question indeed - but my curiousity was raised by a thread in one of the other sections about £800/day contract with a £200 "bonus" for completion of the project. Now to me that sounds like a hectic of a lot of money, especially in this day and age of China and India taking on a lot of the work to produce low quality results. But am I missing something here? Have rates gone up?

For london based contracts, I thought £500/day was a good rate, now I'm not so sure. I'd be very happy with £800, but I'd also fear that this would highlight me as a very expensive option and one to be eliminated by the client.

Anything below £250 is a poor rate - again in London and my personal opinion.

£250 per day is only 60k per year which you could get being permie.

£500 pd is a great rate for normal run of the mill corporate jobs, normal for banking.

To get £800 pd plus a £200pd bonus you need to be a guru in a sort after niche low supplier count skill.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Better than an unqualified relative. Take my uncle Keith for example.
    LOL
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 11 June 2010, 10:42.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Sorry about the qualified absolute
    Better than an unqualified relative. Take my uncle Keith for example.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X