• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is a good rate these days?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I was earning £480 p/d in the late nineties.

Taking into account inflation, I should be getting £620 p/d now.

Historical UK Inflation And Price Conversion
    "should be"... so I guess you're not. I think this is same across our industry, because rates have fallen since the dot-com days. My line of work paid £1k a day in 2000 but it's averaging less than half that. Fortunately I'm a little better off than that, for now, but can't see it lasting.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      "should be"... so I guess you're not. I think this is same across our industry, because rates have fallen since the dot-com days. My line of work paid £1k a day in 2000 but it's averaging less than half that. Fortunately I'm a little better off than that, for now, but can't see it lasting.
      Foreign non-EU imports keeping rates down.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        My best ever rate was $100 per hour, but that was 10 years ago now. It's been downhill since then

Comment

I've never received even 400 per day.

But then again, I do a job that Bob has never been able to get the hang of. For which I'm grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I do a job that Bob has never been able to get the hang of.
            You work in an English speaking call centre?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Comparing rates now to what they were in the .com boom is like buying tulip bulbs by the crate cause we're just in a dip and the dutch will again start paying millions for them!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Best rate has been 500/day last year (fluked into a non-IT interim mgmt role) usually 3-400 but it's oop north so not bad.
                A mate scored 850/day + expenses +WFH fridays on his first contract, had to fly down to heathrow and stay but I had to tell him this was not normal, it lasted years as well...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                  A mate scored 850/day + expenses +WFH fridays on his first contract, had to fly down to heathrow and stay but I had to tell him this was not normal, it lasted years as well...
                  I was getting 400 a day plus all expenses and paid travel time in the late 1980s, but that was for 3 weeks at a time. One lucky chap there on similar money went out to install something and got extended to about 18 months without having to renegotiate his rate.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X