• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: iBanking in Zurich

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "iBanking in Zurich"

Collapse

• LegendsWear7
    replied
    +1

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Looks like I'm heading back to Zurich at the end of the month. Maybe we should have a Zurich meet-up thread. How many of us are in Zurich?

ha ha ...a wise decision, Switzerland is the only country with a fiscal surplus, so no tax rises.

Booming at the moment...all the hedge funds coming over etc.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    I can make it there.
    +1
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Looks like I'm heading back to Zurich at the end of the month. Maybe we should have a Zurich meet-up thread. How many of us are in Zurich?

I can make it there.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Swiss friend asked "is this like a real English pub?"
    Bad decor and dirty carpets, yes typical English pub.
    LOL

Dirty "but we do clean them, honest" beer pipes in at least one of those places too.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Not in Zurich, but can get there quite easily. I'm not into the ridiculously priced English /Irish pubs though.

+1
    Swiss friend asked "is this like a real English pub?"
    Bad decor and dirty carpets, yes typical English pub.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied

Not in Zurich, but can get there quite easily. I'm not into the ridiculously priced English /Irish pubs though.

+1

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by LegendsWear7 View Post
    Is it likely to be mega hours or knock off at 6 because it is Switzerland ?
    If you work more than your standard hours, expect to get paid for them or be forced to take time off in lieu. There are some quite heavy (by UK standards) laws about this, including personal fines for managers.

Originally posted by LegendsWear7 View Post
    PS: Just arrived but can already confirm that the cheese is wonderful.
    In my first year here I aimed at discovering at least two different types of cheese per week. Have fun.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You could always go into Denner, get some cheap booze, and drink it by the lake, just like the students.
    I think they are trying to ban that. Champagne by the lake will be OK of course.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Compare stuff (including withholding taxes by canton) here

Get yourself over to englishforum.ch (surprised NAT didn't put a plug in....), ...
    Too busy watching the over Israel's latest peace initiative. And occasionally fanning the flames.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Compare stuff (including withholding taxes by canton) here

Get yourself over to englishforum.ch (surprised NAT didn't put a plug in....), there are a lot of expats in Zurich who can help out with where to eat, shop, etc.

Core hours 42.5 but as bobhope says, will depend on the company and team. I'm out the doors between 6 and 6.30, most of the dev team are still here until 7.30 or 8.00.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Swiss and any European Investment banks, are just not comparable with the City. There 's no Investment Banking culture, it's the same as working in any other company. Never ever done a single second of overtime in several years working in different banks. Generally relaxed, but not spectacular pay, fairly ordinairy rates compared to London, salaries aren't particularly high either. I would say contractor rates at the moment would be round 90 - 110 hour. Salary...hmm depends I would say between 120,000 to 150000 for a senior role.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You could always go into Denner, get some cheap booze, and drink it by the lake, just like the students.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Of course, it varies from department to department, team to team but:

1) On average, fewer hours than in London, less presenteeism, but longer hours than most of Europe (42 standard versus 35 in France, etc.) I like the 42 hr contract better, because it's more realistic. I had 37 in the UK but I never remember ever working less than 45.

2) CS tend to pay better.

3) Eating out is v. expensive, but you find places that are more reasonable. Also remember you are comparing prices when GBP is incredibly weak (1.65 atm). Up until last year, GBPCHF was more like 2.50. So a 100 frank purchase now costs £60 instead of £40.

4) Tax is waaaay lower. Think 15% instead of ~35%. Social security too - 11% instead of what is it now it the UK 23% (11+12)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X