• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London 2012 mascots"

Collapse

• eliquant
    replied
    "In the realm of the Blind the one-eyed man is king."

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Add me to your list!
    Which list? And why are you ?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I rather like the mascots, and they are better than an over tattooed hoodie.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells (Mrs)
    Add me to your list!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I rather like the mascots, and they are better than an over tattooed hoodie.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells (Mrs)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    a hyperactive, thieving grey squirrel

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I think they are quite cool - kids and teenagers will be able to relate to them more than some crappy animal based mascot. What animal could London have used anyway? A skanky urban fox, and a grumpy old badger?

Also, the cartoons & story that goes with them was quite cool.
    Badgers aren't common in London.

It would be a skanky urban fox, a hyperactive, thieving grey squirrel and a mutant one-legged pigeon.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    I quite like them. Kids will enjoy them and it should bring in a bit of extra cash.
    The Daily Mash - THE MASCOT NIGHTMARES BEGIN

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    What animal could London have used anyway?
    Some manifestation of loathsome spotted reptile? No offence zeity, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I think they are quite cool - kids and teenagers will be able to relate to them more than some crappy animal based mascot. What animal could London have used anyway? A skanky urban fox, and a grumpy old badger?

Also, the cartoons & story that goes with them was quite cool.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    You lot will whinge about anything that is produced in a creative way.
    I don't. I always get really enthusiastic about these things, and I even quite enjoyed the double-decker bus Jimmy Page show in Beijing. But the London 2012 logos were genuinely horrific mistakes - even if you didn't see the suggestive side of the images, they were still just... rubbish. And they've never replaced them, even with a bit of subtle tweaking or something. And now these mascots. Well, they are a slight improvement on the logos, I suppose, but that's pretty much the only mildly positive thing that can be said about them. I don't get it. Designers can come up with such fabulous stuff. I'm full of admiration for them. So how does something like this get selected?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

I think they are alright. At least they showed creativity and not come out with an uninspiring bear with long legs.
    True, a blob with virtually no legs is much better

And they can go too far with this naming reference to obscure forgotten and uniportant facts. Must have cost millions to agree to those. Why do they just not call them Bob and Steve and then go to the pub?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

I think they are alright. At least they showed creativity and not come out with an uninspiring bear with long legs.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I quite like them. Kids will enjoy them and it should bring in a bit of extra cash.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Good God no!! "Mandeville" was named after the fact that the first Paralympics was first mooted/coordinated by Stoke Mandeville Hospital
    Thats alright then

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Was Mandeville named after/in honour of Mandleson?
    Good God no!! "Mandeville" was named after the fact that the first Paralympics was first mooted/coordinated by Stoke Mandeville Hospital, and the Wenlock relates to the fact that a rival to the modern Olympics was once held at a small place called Wenlock. Tenuous links indeed.
    As for the "who thought of one-eyed creatures", I think that boils down to the fact that the designer of same has spent altogether too much time with a one-eyed thing in his hands. Some kind of bizarre auto-suggestion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X