• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gbp

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gbp"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Look at that - I'm spot on.
    Very drole. I only just spotted your 'one decimal place' caveat

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    i think i have a fanny
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think SAS is catching, that was as flimsy as one of his. I don't think you know owt. Predict £/$ at lunch time tomorrrow...
    OK, I'm game.

To one decimal place I guess that at 13:00 BST GBPUSD will be: 1.4

Normal caveats apply.
    Look at that - I'm spot on.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I think I have a fan
    I don't mind you, you're like a turd on my shoe that I can wipe off when I want.
    Everone else hates you though.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Would be an improvement on being an Internet Warrior.
    At least you'd be something other than the biggest irritant on CUK.
    I think I have a fan

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Which would make me a dirty spekulant
    Would be an improvement on being an Internet Warrior.
    At least you'd be something other than the biggest irritant on CUK.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Not bad. Now put your money where your mouth is. You should make a fortune betting on a sterling collapse. If you're right.
    Which would make me a dirty spekulant

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Well if you do your financial planning based on the drivel posted in here then lawd help you. But you're question is sound. I am of course not qualified to give any financial advice, but in my very humble opinion, we are indeed looking at the collapse of sterling.

My reasoning is this. When market liquidity dried up, we printed money. We are now no longer allowed to print any more, Mastricht says so. So we have stopped, and the most fragile economies are starting to squeak first (PIIGS) as the liquidity dries up again. Hence the trillion $ bailout from the IMF just to try and kick the can a little further down the road. But that is all it is. At some time the piper must be paid.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics as Disraeli told us. Well none so more than in the financial markets. It is possible to hide public debt. Greece managed it for example, but their private debt is less easy to hide for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

So if you take into account the increased Libor, reduced liquidity, fear of contagion, much awaited economic policy, the markets are waiting to see which way they go. I think the eurozone is teetering on the brink of collapse and the most vulnerable will go first. For a measure of the most vulnerable, look at PRIVATE debt to GDP ratio.
    Not bad. Now put your money where your mouth is. You should make a fortune betting on a sterling collapse. If you're right.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    The inflation figures from yesterday are creating uncertainty. If the BofE were to stick to its inflation killing remit it should be raising interest rates, but that would kill off the fragile recovery.

It is between a rock and a hard place, what will it do? Are we going to have more recession or inflation instead?
    I fear both

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    The inflation figures from yesterday are creating uncertainty. If the BofE were to stick to its inflation killing remit it should be raising interest rates, but that would kill off the fragile recovery.

It is between a rock and a hard place, what will it do? Are we going to have more recession or inflation instead?
    Low interest rates don't help anybody...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    SY, I am not having a go at you. I started this thread specifically to see if any of the wizards on this forum had a clue why GBP was suddenly collapsing. We know why Euro collapsed. But why GBP now? What is looming? Any bank failure ? etc etc. I have a family to take care of and I believe in taking action if I know what is round the corner.

You mentioned a theory about private debt. I want to know if this was a determining factor. Why ? Because if that is actually a cause, then does that mean billions of private debt is to be repaid within a few days and we do not have money? I just need a cause to currency collapse. If we are headed Argentina way then I will take action to get out of GBP and into USD. Simple as that.
    Well if you do your financial planning based on the drivel posted in here then lawd help you. But you're question is sound. I am of course not qualified to give any financial advice, but in my very humble opinion, we are indeed looking at the collapse of sterling.

My reasoning is this. When market liquidity dried up, we printed money. We are now no longer allowed to print any more, Mastricht says so. So we have stopped, and the most fragile economies are starting to squeak first (PIIGS) as the liquidity dries up again. Hence the trillion $ bailout from the IMF just to try and kick the can a little further down the road. But that is all it is. At some time the piper must be paid.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics as Disraeli told us. Well none so more than in the financial markets. It is possible to hide public debt. Greece managed it for example, but their private debt is less easy to hide for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

So if you take into account the increased Libor, reduced liquidity, fear of contagion, much awaited economic policy, the markets are waiting to see which way they go. I think the eurozone is teetering on the brink of collapse and the most vulnerable will go first. For a measure of the most vulnerable, look at PRIVATE debt to GDP ratio.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    SY, I am not having a go at you. I started this thread specifically to see if any of the wizards on this forum had a clue why GBP was suddenly collapsing. We know why Euro collapsed. But why GBP now? What is looming? Any bank failure ? etc etc. I have a family to take care of and I believe in taking action if I know what is round the corner.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

You mentioned a theory about private debt. I want to know if this was a determining factor. Why ? Because if that is actually a cause, then does that mean billions of private debt is to be repaid within a few days and we do not have money? I just need a cause to currency collapse. If we are headed Argentina way then I will take action to get out of GBP and into USD. Simple as that.
    Well if we knew we would all be making shed loads wouldn't we?

FWIW I believe that much of the European economy (including parts of the UK) are fooked long term as we pay ourselves too much to do too little. The market is simply exposing this fact and this trend will continue.

From a practical point fo view, hedge all your bets - I have Swiss Franc and USD accounts as well as some gold holdings. My biggest asset in the UK is my house.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    We will leave the congregation to judge.
    Never in the history of CUK has such a tiny intellect generated so much noise.
    Really? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Actually, I do think that over the last couple of days you have exceeded Andyw's efforts at saturation irritation. Well done!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X