• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gbp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    SY, I am not having a go at you. I started this thread specifically to see if any of the wizards on this forum had a clue why GBP was suddenly collapsing. We know why Euro collapsed. But why GBP now? What is looming? Any bank failure ? etc etc. I have a family to take care of and I believe in taking action if I know what is round the corner.

You mentioned a theory about private debt. I want to know if this was a determining factor. Why ? Because if that is actually a cause, then does that mean billions of private debt is to be repaid within a few days and we do not have money? I just need a cause to currency collapse. If we are headed Argentina way then I will take action to get out of GBP and into USD. Simple as that.
    Well if you do your financial planning based on the drivel posted in here then lawd help you. But you're question is sound. I am of course not qualified to give any financial advice, but in my very humble opinion, we are indeed looking at the collapse of sterling.

My reasoning is this. When market liquidity dried up, we printed money. We are now no longer allowed to print any more, Mastricht says so. So we have stopped, and the most fragile economies are starting to squeak first (PIIGS) as the liquidity dries up again. Hence the trillion $ bailout from the IMF just to try and kick the can a little further down the road. But that is all it is. At some time the piper must be paid.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics as Disraeli told us. Well none so more than in the financial markets. It is possible to hide public debt. Greece managed it for example, but their private debt is less easy to hide for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

So if you take into account the increased Libor, reduced liquidity, fear of contagion, much awaited economic policy, the markets are waiting to see which way they go. I think the eurozone is teetering on the brink of collapse and the most vulnerable will go first. For a measure of the most vulnerable, look at PRIVATE debt to GDP ratio.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      The inflation figures from yesterday are creating uncertainty. If the BofE were to stick to its inflation killing remit it should be raising interest rates, but that would kill off the fragile recovery.

It is between a rock and a hard place, what will it do? Are we going to have more recession or inflation instead?
      Low interest rates don't help anybody...

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        The inflation figures from yesterday are creating uncertainty. If the BofE were to stick to its inflation killing remit it should be raising interest rates, but that would kill off the fragile recovery.

It is between a rock and a hard place, what will it do? Are we going to have more recession or inflation instead?
        I fear both

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Well if you do your financial planning based on the drivel posted in here then lawd help you. But you're question is sound. I am of course not qualified to give any financial advice, but in my very humble opinion, we are indeed looking at the collapse of sterling.

My reasoning is this. When market liquidity dried up, we printed money. We are now no longer allowed to print any more, Mastricht says so. So we have stopped, and the most fragile economies are starting to squeak first (PIIGS) as the liquidity dries up again. Hence the trillion $ bailout from the IMF just to try and kick the can a little further down the road. But that is all it is. At some time the piper must be paid.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics as Disraeli told us. Well none so more than in the financial markets. It is possible to hide public debt. Greece managed it for example, but their private debt is less easy to hide for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

So if you take into account the increased Libor, reduced liquidity, fear of contagion, much awaited economic policy, the markets are waiting to see which way they go. I think the eurozone is teetering on the brink of collapse and the most vulnerable will go first. For a measure of the most vulnerable, look at PRIVATE debt to GDP ratio.
          Not bad. Now put your money where your mouth is. You should make a fortune betting on a sterling collapse. If you're right.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Not bad. Now put your money where your mouth is. You should make a fortune betting on a sterling collapse. If you're right.
            Which would make me a dirty spekulant

Comment

Which would make me a dirty spekulant
              Would be an improvement on being an Internet Warrior.
              At least you'd be something other than the biggest irritant on CUK.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Would be an improvement on being an Internet Warrior.
                At least you'd be something other than the biggest irritant on CUK.
                I think I have a fan

Comment

I think I have a fan
                  I don't mind you, you're like a turd on my shoe that I can wipe off when I want.
                  Everone else hates you though.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I think SAS is catching, that was as flimsy as one of his. I don't think you know owt. Predict £/$ at lunch time tomorrrow...
                    OK, I'm game.

To one decimal place I guess that at 13:00 BST GBPUSD will be: 1.4

Normal caveats apply.
                    Look at that - I'm spot on.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

i think i have a fanny
                      ftfy
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X