• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: First Class

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First Class"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    WSM to Swindon
    On that route get about 20 cups of coffee and all the biccies and water from the trolley, then flog 'em in the staff canteen. Do the same on the way back to WSM and flog em in the pub on the station.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Swindon - the land that time ought to forget!
    Can you lot lay off of Swindon.

It gives you work you ungrateful bastards!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I probably wouldn't for nearly triple the price for just 45 mins if it's not that rammed. It's not usually much quieter: in standard you get a background hum of chatter, but in 1st you get 1 or 2 idiots braying into their phones about "strategic goals" and "prime care trusts" which is more annoying. And it doesn't get you there any less late.
    Memories of first class commuting:-
    • the idiot who noisily shuffled his paperwork on the way home every day
    • the bloke with the mobile phone that sounded like an old BT job with the bell
    • the incessant clickety-clack of laptop keyboards
    • talk of "synergy" and "core competencies"

I don't miss it one bit.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    On that route it is a must. At certain times of the year you are likely to be knee-deep in sheep and goats, and the pungent aroma of scrumpy vomit laced with cowtulip is likely to get your day off to a very poor start. It may be a pricey option, but you don't want to arrive in Swindonia anything less than at your best.
    Swindon - the land that time ought to forget!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    And it doesn't get you there any less late.
    ahh the joys of the Uk rail system, I'd almost forgotten what that's like until the local Germans start tutting on the platform when an announcement is made that the train will be 6 mins late and they act as though someone should be fired for this.. this is a train that's 6hrs in of it's 14hr journey and it's 6 mins late!! German precision in timing is the best sort IMO.

Plus in the rare event the trains are REALLY late you get:
    25% for delays of 60-120 minutes
    50% if a delay is more than 120 minutes

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    WSM to Swindon
    On that route it is a must. At certain times of the year you are likely to be knee-deep in sheep and goats, and the pungent aroma of scrumpy vomit laced with cowtulip is likely to get your day off to a very poor start. It may be a pricey option, but you don't want to arrive in Swindonia anything less than at your best.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I probably wouldn't for nearly triple the price for just 45 mins if it's not that rammed. It's not usually much quieter: in standard you get a background hum of chatter, but in 1st you get 1 or 2 idiots braying into their phones about "strategic goals" and "prime care trusts" which is more annoying. And it doesn't get you there any less late.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Ditto with the doggie

And I'm starting a 4 month extension today.

But at least its sunny in Swindon today

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I should have thought the horror of arriving in Swindon would cause any discomfort on the actual journey to pale into insignificance.
    Now you know the depth of my pain!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    It's a business expense, seperates you from the riff raff, is usually quieter, usually has a chance of a seat without reservation, a seat with a guaranteed plug and you get better treatment like a nice drink etc. after a hard days work and possibly a small meal or snack if it's anything like I remember.

or you could suffer cattle class and all the glorious smells/noise that goes with it and save £100 quid a week

the question really is what's more important to you?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Yes, it's worth it - it's the difference between seat and no seat & standing for 25-30 mins smelling armpits for me.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I should have thought the horror of arriving in Swindon would cause any discomfort on the actual journey to pale into insignificance.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    In my experience it is pure luck. I have had pleasant cattle class trips even sitting next to strangers in busy carrieages, nice hum going on, people watching and so on but had some effin nightmares as well.

You don't mention how you rate your journey, is it ok or does it drive you nuts and you arrive at work a shuddering wreck? Would it improve your day if you travelled first?

I guess you are claiming this so it isn't £20 extra out of your pocket a day either really is it?

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    It depends on your route.
    WSM to Swindon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X