• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Train operators accused of 'astronomical' fare rises"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What's public transport like in the US? I get the impression it's worse than here but that might be totally untrue.
    In the cities and surrounding areas the service is very good and a whole of a lot cheaper than here. Plus you don't have all the issues of private bus companies just cutting service and raising prices when they feel like.
    If its all about demand, then how come football supports that come up here on the train - essentially packing them all out - arn't charged the 'peak time' fare. Naaah its all a rip off.

though I don't think the OFT can do anything as the government has allowed them to do it.

its all maggie thatcher's fault I tell ya.

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    The new booking & ticket engine that Virgin (and others) are now using on has subjected the average rail journey to massive hikes.

From a long term user of west coast lines etc, bring back nationalisation/BR.. whichever govt in power will just continue to allow these corporate pariahs to screw the paying customer.

If I could just make my train set a little bigger I'd put a bid in for the next franchise.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What's public transport like in the US? I get the impression it's worse than here but that might be totally untrue.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Always amazes me when you go abroard how good the public transport system is - like get of the plane -- get on the train

always on time always clean (ok only really done Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam!) but maybe it is the same in other countries.

I think it is an attitude issue - as all on this board seem to look down there nose at public transport and it is seen as a neccesary evil

where as in europe it seems that public transport is the backbone of the infrastructure and car ownership (and 1 upmanship) is less prevelant.
    I've been on coach trips in 3 countries other than the UK, those being Dominican Republic, Brazil and Malaysia.
    Get on a coach here and you'll spend 5 hours in a seat so cramped your knees are either side of your head.
    Coaches else where, decent leg room - 2 coaches had fully reclining seats, drinks served during the trip and the other passengers didn't look like they were on the run.

Public transport here isn't even a second class option (second class is a slightly crapper car) its the last option.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Always amazes me when you go abroard how good the public transport system is - like get of the plane -- get on the train

always on time always clean (ok only really done Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam!) but maybe it is the same in other countries.

I think it is an attitude issue - as all on this board seem to look down there nose at public transport and it is seen as a neccesary evil

where as in europe it seems that public transport is the backbone of the infrastructure and car ownership (and 1 upmanship) is less prevelant.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    What does "tolerant" mean? Never heard of it!!!

It's Chinese software used for downloads

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I would, but I don't think the Chinese people will be as tolerant as the British folk
    What does "tolerant" mean? Never heard of it!!!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well here's an idea. Bugger off over to China to build SKA, and irritate the life out of a bunch of shovelheaded CUKers who might even give a tulip!
    I would, but I don't think the Chinese people will be as tolerant as the British folk

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    When I travelled regularly by train in The Netherlands it didn't matter what time you travelled or when you bought your ticket... the price was the same.
    That's surely can't be possible - contradicts common sense, laws of physics etc

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    The whole concept of "peak time" fares is what really gets me. Trains are not more expensive to run at those times, just more in demand (I did write popular there but then realised only a fecking sadist, pervert or civil servant could really enjoy rush hour train journeys. Trains are public transport and the public NEEDS to travel at those times. Charging more to counter demand for weekend football matches I could put up with, no one NEEDS to be on those trains. Squeezing out passengers trying to get to work by extortionate pricing is in my opinion unethical.
    I've never seen a bus company charge more during rush hour.

When I travelled regularly by train in The Netherlands it didn't matter what time you travelled or when you bought your ticket... the price was the same.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    China is planning to build like 12,000 miles of high speed rail track in the next 5 years alone ffs.
    Well here's an idea. Bugger off over to China to build SKA, and irritate the life out of a bunch of shovelheaded CUKers who might even give a tulip!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    WTF accountancy has got to do with economic effectiveness of cars vs trains when it comes to depreciation?

I said very clearly that trains don't depreciate as near as badly as cars - I've used trains in this country that must have been at least 30 years old, yet they were still working with non-zero value so depreciation was clearly maybe not even 3% per annum, compare this to cars losing 50% after 3 years.

Just because you lease asset does not mean you are immune from depreciation - you will be paying it via your leased payments because people who buy to lease ain't as retarded as you when it comes to economics.
    разъёба !

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    No. Rules of accountancy
    WTF accountancy has got to do with economic effectiveness of cars vs trains when it comes to depreciation?

I said very clearly that trains don't depreciate as near as badly as cars - I've used trains in this country that must have been at least 30 years old, yet they were still working with non-zero value so depreciation was clearly maybe not even 3% per annum, compare this to cars losing 50% after 3 years.

Just because you lease asset does not mean you are immune from depreciation - you will be paying it via your leased payments because people who buy to lease ain't as retarded as you when it comes to economics.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

So you think the magical word "leasing" defied laws of physics? How about going and lease a car - do you think car will stop depreciate or maybe the person who bought the car to lease it out actually included into the price (plus margin) this depreciation?
    No. Rules of accountancy

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    All UK trains are leased thus no depreciation.

So you think the magical word "leasing" defied laws of physics? How about going and lease a car - do you think car will stop depreciate or maybe the person who bought the car to lease it out actually included into the price (plus margin) this depreciation?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X