• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "People unable to vote"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If they printed 100% of slips, they'd probably be slammed for wastage... photos of people chucking tons of unused paper away, etc.

Having a printer in the polling station might not be a bad plan though.
    Sensible ideas like that aren't allowed!

Also considering it's local government is running it, some large consultancy will provide both the software and hardware for elections at a large cost to us, the tax payer.

It will also be unfit for purpose AND the officials in the polling stations will have to be sent on expensive training courses to be allowed to use it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If they printed 100% of slips, they'd probably be slammed for wastage... photos of people chucking tons of unused paper away, etc.

Having a printer in the polling station might not be a bad plan though.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I disagree. It's wosrse than 'a few people' or a 'stupid error'. It’s clear that the polling stations were not prepared for the volume of voters. Some didn’t even have enough ballot papers; to my mind that means either they didn’t count how many people are eligible or some people got more than one ballot paper.
    They don't print as many ballot papers as those eligible to vote due to low turnouts. It saves money.

For example in the 3 Sunderland areas which all the results where in first turn out was 51%, 55% and 57% there as where I am turn out was 77%.

Therefore in the different Sunderland areas they probably print enough for 60-70% of eligible voters to vote.

There as where I am they probably know to print enough for say 90% of eligible people to vote.

Also in my area I know a lot of people who have postal votes so they know that they have to print papers for at least 7% of the constituency. There as in Sunderland they probably didn't have many people who know about postal votes.

I also strongly doubt in the richer areas of the constituencies that had trouble they ran out of ballot papers.

You seem to believe that the logistics of opening and closing polling stations are more important than the right of the people to vote for their lawmakers.

The police behaved disgracefully. If they were public servants instead of state employed thugs they would have refused to intervene.
    The police have behaved like thugs for years particularly since Thatcher was in power.

A lot of people still believe the miners, protesters and those who have been beaten up/screwed by the police in other incidents brought in on themselves until they actually see it with their own eyes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Our station was understaffed, long queues.

Running out of ballot papers is disgusting.

We were once exporting democracy to the world now we can't even run it. disgusting.

For New lie just so they know I agree with the Judges opinion

Republic!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I disagree. It's wosrse than 'a few people' or a 'stupid error'. It’s clear that the polling stations were not prepared for the volume of voters. Some didn’t even have enough ballot papers; to my mind that means either they didn’t count how many people are eligible or some people got more than one ballot paper.

You seem to believe that the logistics of opening and closing polling stations are more important than the right of the people to vote for their lawmakers.
    So they should make the rules up as they go? Just because 1 time out of 100 the rules make things worse doesn't mean you should toss them out, if the other 99 they bring order and sense to proceedings.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    It doesn't matter - they can get in the queue early, in about 5 months.

I'm in Hallam the Missus said that there was a queue about half a mile at our local polling station.

I don't vote so it didn't matter for me - I don't agree with democracy...

T

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Agreed, tough tulip if you missed out.

Saw some footage on TV, in Sheffield I think, and there were a lot of youngsters in the queue.

Seriously, did you only have time to vote late in the evening? Probably too busy surfing on FaceTube!

Another scene showed people arguing with the police that the time should be extended.

FFS, this isn't Tescos where if you are in the store once the store closes they will still serve you!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I agree with them - allowing illegal votes would cause far more problems and render the whole election null. A few people not being able to vote is a stupid error, but nothing more... of course it is terribly embarrassing but local authorities can't take matters into their own hands and ignore the law.

The police behaved disgracefully. If they were public servants instead of state employed thugs they would have refused to intervene.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    No sympathies really. The polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm which is a lot longer than they are in other countries. No excuses really for getting there in time to vote. Someone does need to look into how the stations are staffed but usually four people should be enough to handle anything but a mob.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What takes precedence?

The law on closing times or the right of the citizens to vote on who makes the law?
    I agree with them - allowing illegal votes would cause far more problems and render the whole election null. A few people not being able to vote is a stupid error, but nothing more... of course it is terribly embarrassing but local authorities can't take matters into their own hands and ignore the law.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    What takes precedence?

The law on closing times or the right of the citizens to vote on who makes the law?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    some slimey mf lawyer has been saying they should sue as it is a contravention of human rights (or something)

He reckons they would get about £750 each - wonder how much the bloodsucking leechy lawyers would get for representing them.

and apparently there were a number of reason why people could not vote - some down to incompetence on the organisation side and some down to people turning up to late or going early seeing the queue and then going back.

bit of a feck up but not going to change the result.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Do we care?
    were they dylesix?

All they needed was a X you know...

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I care. *

HAB to frustrated voter: "There, there. Don't worry, another one will come along shortly. You'll have another chance then."
    Thanks HAB

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    * actually, I don't
    Oh....

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Do we care?

I care. *

HAB to frustrated voter: "There, there. Don't worry, another one will come along shortly. You'll have another chance then."

* actually, I don't

Leave a comment:

Working...
X