• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "XSLT <xsl:variable> Element"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am a self taught programmer, my edukation is all business related...
    Well that explains it then. If you're just a self-taught hacker we can't expect you to understand computer science. You should be using VB or Word Macros

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Well, I'd suggest maybe some training maybe?
    You mean like anger management?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Well, I'd suggest maybe some training maybe?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You were taught wrong, and are too old to learn a new paradigm.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    My last word on this (for the time being):

1. Imperative (aka proper sensible) programming languages are like learning English.

2. Wrongly called "functional" languages is like learning Japanese language.

Now shut up you lot - I am testing some parallel code now written in C# with my own parallel execution framework
    It's not your fault. You were taught wrong, and are too old to learn a new paradigm. Exactly like how you struggle with English.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    My last word on this (for the time being):

1. Imperative (aka proper sensible) programming languages are like learning English.

2. Wrongly called "functional" languages is like learning Japanese language.

Now shut up you lot - I am testing some parallel code now written in C# with my own parallel execution framework

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    He's Turing's half brother.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    ... they are Turin complete ...

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    If a functional language is sufficiently powerful, it should be able to simulate imperative programs, side effects and all. It might just be harder. I take for granted that imperative languages can likewise simulate functional language operations, because they are Turin complete and can simulate anything computable.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    I have no problem with language having some "functional" elements - what I have a problem with is with language that does not allow common decades proven programming approach to work, ie: no proper loops, no variables etc etc, it's obvious ffs!

I'd troll you a bit more but I am back home eating nice meal so I'll leave trolling to sasguru's sockies
    Admit it. Your actually a Bored IT Lecturer, angry at the world because of some perceived wrong done to you in times gone past. A glass of port or brandy in the middle of the night and suddenly your wanting to regain some long gone youthful aspect of life, hence the fact that you post an obviously technical leaning thread in General!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    How many jobs require Forth as primary working language?

How many jobs require any functional language as primary working language?

"Functional" languages are the COBOLs of the world!
    Well, peeps don't tend to advertise those kind of jobs on the BOS job boards you're looking at.

Yet, I personally have advertised on here for someone to stay in a nice villa overlooking the sea in the south of France for a few months. Most of their work is functional programming: ISVV in the Space Industry. You just don't shout it out that you want someone to do 'functional coding' as if you're in the market for someone who can, you just look for someone who's good. 'Cause if they're good, they can. Simples innit.

Also you do see a lot of adverts for Scheme in the Finance sector. Although I think many of those are just to weed out unsuitable applicants.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    surely xslt is a declarative language and hence not comparible with functional languages
    Functional languages are a subset of declarative languages. XSLT (by which most people still mean XSLT 1.0) doesn't appear to exhibit the characteristics of a functional language, in that it is a declarative language and therefore has no need to seem to be a member of a subset of the set of languages to which it belongs; however, given that it belongs to a superset of such languages, it is of course capable of being used as a functional language, as XSLT maven Dimitre Novatchev demonstrated back in 2001 with FXSL, "The functional programming library for XSLT"
    "Until now it was believed that although XSLT is based on functional programming ideas, it is not as yet a full functional programming language, as it lacks the ability to treat functions as a first-class data type. Based on numerous concrete XSLT implementations of some of the major functional programming design patterns, including some of the most generic list-processing and tree-processing functions, this article provides ample proof that XSLT is in fact a full-fledged functional programming language. The presented code forms the base of a first XSLT functional programming library. It is emphasized that a decision to include higher-order functions support in XPath 2.0 will make functional programming in XSLT even more straightforward, natural and convenient."

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    surely xslt is a declarative language and hence not comparible with functional languages

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by atw View Post
    i have no problem with language having some "functional" elements - what i have a problem with is with language that does not allow common decades proven programming approach to work, ie: No proper loops, no variables etc etc, it's all i know!
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    what I have a problem with is with language that does not allow common decades proven programming approach to work, ie: no proper loops, no variables etc etc, it's obvious ffs!
    Obvious to you because you were brought up to believe procedural languages were the 'right way', or because you can't understand anything which doesn't directly map to how the CPU works. To people brought up with a training in algorithms instead of hacking code in C, functional programming is elegant and far easier to use.

If you insist on only thinking of programming in terms of bits and bytes and registers, then you're missing the point that computer science isn't about such things. The CPU is a way to run your algorithms, not the thing that has to shape how they are designed.
    Like how we count in base 10 because we have 10 fingers... it doesn't mean it's the best or only way to count.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X