• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Answer these questions to find out if you're a real IT person."

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

".net" is not a programming language.
    Corrected. C#

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    0. Which is the first computer you wrote a program for? PDP11/23 - wrote Bezerk emulation in FORTRAN for school open day on DEC VT terminals
    1. Which is the first computer you owned? BBC Micro Model B
    2. How many langauges have you seriously programmed in (work or play)? 8086 Assembler, FORTRAN 77, PASCAL ... .net 3.5 - too many to remember
    3. How many years have you made a living out of IT (programming or otherwise). Including doing people's IT projects for cash at Uni, 25 years
    4. Do you enjoy programming or is it a chore? It's fun in the design phase, but a chore and every now and then I look at the alternatives and the divorce debts and that keeps me going
    5. Do you know what vi is and have you used it? yes and yes

".net" is not a programming language.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    0. Which is the first computer you wrote a program for? PDP11/23 - wrote Bezerk emulation in FORTRAN for school open day on DEC VT terminals
    1. Which is the first computer you owned? BBC Micro Model B
    2. How many langauges have you seriously programmed in (work or play)? 8086 Assembler, FORTRAN 77, PASCAL ... C# - too many to remember
    3. How many years have you made a living out of IT (programming or otherwise). Including doing people's IT projects for cash at Uni, 25 years
    4. Do you enjoy programming or is it a chore? It's fun in the design phase, but a chore and every now and then I look at the alternatives and the divorce debts and that keeps me going
    5. Do you know what vi is and have you used it? yes and yes
    Last edited by hyperD; 30 April 2010, 09:25. Reason: A dog bit my balls hard

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Where are the equivalent widely available magazines like Commodore Horizons and such, where you actually had coding articles etc that you could type in, use and help you understand how it all hung together.

Wasted afternoons typing in hex dumps only to find it crashed and burned when you ran it, and you hadn't saved it to tape

Happy days at 14/15 years of age. Sigh!

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Also, generations since then have had video consoles + PC's where all the nuts and bolts are invisible, which might be a shame, as they might not realise they could get interested in the coding.!
    The PC building thing still goes on, but it's plugging stuff in (and finding the best stuff that works well together in your budget) rather than the nuts and bolts of soldering stuff together. Things like programmable Lego robots are pretty cool for the current generation.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Interesting thread, all these people who got sparked up with the first home computer stuff and turned it into a career. Clearly it suits their personality etc I wonder what they would all be doing otherwise ? Also, generations since then have had video consoles + PC's where all the nuts and bolts are invisible, which might be a shame, as they might not realise they could get interested in the coding.
    I am happy NOT to be a real IT person (I used to try keep it quiet that I was in IT when younger !). You only have to watch the IT crowd to see why !

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    So when do we get our results?

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    0. Which is the first computer you wrote a program for?
    - Vic 20
    1. Which is the first computer you owned?
    - Vic 20 (Technically owned by parents) Speccy 128k+2 was my first proper computer
    2. How many langauges have you seriously programmed in (work or play)?
    - 20+
    3. How many years have you made a living out of IT (programming or otherwise).
    4. Do you enjoy programming or is it a chore?
    - Enjoy
    5. Do you know what vi is and have you used it?
    - I know of vi, but never had to use it.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    - ZX Spectrum 48K
    - ZX Spectrum 48K
    - 3.5 (Basic, Pascall, Cobol, Bash)
    - Chore (sysadmin background)
    - vi is gods own editor!

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ZX81.
    CBM Amiga 500 (not counting parent owned ZX81, Spectrum or various IBM PCs and compatibles). Saved up every penny of pocket money and Christmas and birthday presents for a year.
    Maybe 10.
    Depends, mostly enjoy it. In a professional capacity some housekeeping is necessary, which is a chore.
    vi is a religion in a perpetual state of war with the Church of Emacs. Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    PC1512
    Lots, at least 6 have made me money
    Chore
    Yes and yes

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Speccy 48k. I have only recently lost the habit of keeping the rest of my body stock still while typing for fear of nudging the power pack lead the 1mm required to crash the thing.
    Second hand laptop purchased in 2000. It was grey and the skiddy finger pad gave me blisters, that's all I can remember.
    11 (yes, slightly longer than I have actually owned a computer)
    Neither. it is a zen state of being, in which emotion is subsumed by the infinite other of logic.
    I have heard tell of it amongst the sandal people but never seen it in real life

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Hmm, either an IBM 370/168 or a ZX81

ZX81 followed by Spectrum followed by an Oric

2. How many languages have you seriously programmed in (work or play)?

Try not to really program as such but sometimes its easier and cheaper to write your own stuff so probably only around 6, don't really need many to do the job

Started while still at school during the holidays and evenings so I think its probably 30'ish

Depends, if its a real programming job using COBOL or PL/I then it can go where the sun don't shine otherwise writing the system tools that I normally do can be quite a joy, occasionally

Yes and yes but prefer not to. VIM and GVIM if I can but what about using something like TSO EDIT, makes vi look like the light fantastic. Most of my editing is via PDF or Xedit (SPF for PC or Kedit are nice)

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Everybody else seems to enjoy programming. Maybe that's a sign that I should get into some other line of work.
    I'm sorry to say that I don't anymore. I used to a lot, but these days I am more interested in the business problem I'm trying to working on. The programming bit just gets in the way.

I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I should get someone else to do my programming stuff and let me concentrate on other things. My problem is funding. However, I hope to have that sorted soon (ish).

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    do scripting languages count (eg HTML)?
    HTML isn't a scripting language, it's a markup language

Leave a comment:

Working...
X