• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Great argument

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Great argument"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If these people want their precious Europe/Euro to work then there has to be a system that encourages people to move accross Europe to work. Movement of labour is key to making the Euro work and to offset the inbalances of the different economies in the economic cycles.
    There is such a system. It is called "Britain is so crap that loads of Brits go and work elsewhere in the EU. Especially the intelligent ones.".

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Ok its yours

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    Only if I get the last word.
    Well you can't as I have to do that!!

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Do we feel better now??
    Only if I get the last word.

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Most people are unaffected by IR35, so the position isn't one of the "basic policies". Ditto micro businesses and freelancers - not a basic policy.

What you really wanted was to argue with someone who you aren't going to vote for anyway, so that you can look smart and they can look dumb. You could have chosen one of their basic policies that might affect you - e.g. EU red tape, joining the Euro, changes in income tax, cutting / replacing Trident, changes in tax, etc. etc. Instead, you chose two topics which are irrelevant to the majority and expect the person delivering the leaflets and canvassing opinion on the main issues to have full details of the micro-policies.

But, well done for winning the argument
    You seem to be obsessed with winning arguments so here you go, you can have this one....

Do we feel better now??

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I feel unfulfilled. There is no Labour or LibDem candidate in my constituency, let alone canvassers or even leaflets.
    You got the Mormon's or the born again brigade to have a go at though haven't you surely?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I feel unfulfilled. There is no Labour or LibDem candidate in my constituency, let alone canvassers or even leaflets.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    I wish one of the candidates (or even a canvasser) would actually come round, but they never do.

Lots of leaflets, but nothing personal. Labour write to my wife, but not to me - maybe because when they asked in 2005 "I hope I can count on your support", I wrote back and told them exactly why they could not. To her credit, she wrote back to thank me for my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Hopefully this question will also work on the various doorstep sellers of religion.
    The Jehovah's Witnesses now say to my wife "ah, you're the non-believer, aren't you?" when they call.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    So you're saying if a person is canvassing for votes they should not have an understanding of the party’s basic policies?

Sorry for setting my sights so high
    Most people are unaffected by IR35, so the position isn't one of the "basic policies". Ditto micro businesses and freelancers - not a basic policy.

What you really wanted was to argue with someone who you aren't going to vote for anyway, so that you can look smart and they can look dumb. You could have chosen one of their basic policies that might affect you - e.g. EU red tape, joining the Euro, changes in income tax, cutting / replacing Trident, changes in tax, etc. etc. Instead, you chose two topics which are irrelevant to the majority and expect the person delivering the leaflets and canvassing opinion on the main issues to have full details of the micro-policies.

But, well done for winning the argument

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    They are all getting hit with a question about ICTs when they turn up at chez minestrone, well, except the Labour candidate who is getting told to f off.
    It's the same at chez Zip. The last one (Lib Dem) said he'd heard that a lot, but wasn't forthcoming about what they planned to do about it.
    I really warmed to my theme after a few mins and he made a run for it

Hopefully this question will also work on the various doorstep sellers of religion.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    <looks again at thread title>

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But he won the argument!! That's what counts!!!!!!
    A discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate

Dont see how this counts...

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    So you're saying if a person is canvassing for votes they should not have an understanding of the party’s basic policies?

Sorry for setting my sights so high

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    But you weren't talking to the candidate - you were talking to someone who is delivering leaflets and asking if you will be voting for them. I'd suggest that expecting them to know all the policies of the party they are delivering leaflets for is more than a touch optimistic.
    But he won the argument!! That's what counts!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X