• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New financial crash predictions"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Dear Cretins,

The "current economic climate" is a brand name for the few that preside above the many. They make money out of us, whether up or down. They intend to make even more money out of us, and gain even more control by crashing the markets again. Soros' comments are meerly preparing public opinion on what is to come.

Last year's doom is only on hold until the General Election. After which business as usual and down down down.

Do as the hedge funds, fill yer boots.

HTH

SY01

PS When the markets all start sliding after the election I expect kudos. HTH.
    Anyone still expecting a double dip then?

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    If you think its over, I think you are fooling yourself. None of the political parties dare tell you how bad it really is.

Conservatives get in, raise interest rates. Then it will start.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't have rose tinted glasses on. I'm sure there are visibile issues and hidden issues, but the impact the initial credit crunch had on the market I feel will not be repeated.
    It depends what those consider a crash. The doom mongers might consider a 30 % correction of the March 2009 tocurrent market rise a crash when I would call it a correction . Given the current levels and the March 2009 to current timeframe, a crash would mean a sudden drop to below the March 2009 lows. And if that did happen, nobody would be proud of being right about it as many of us would be kissing our careers goodbye probably!

No matter what state we're in, the stock markets really still appear quite cheap IMO (considering the long term not short term).Any 'correction' in prices would be a buying opportunity, but may doomers will probably still not buy as they think the world is going to end because of it

I agree pain may come our way after the election, but it might not necessarily stop the markets from rising. Some may see it as being positive for the UK in the long run, especially with a change of government. IN a way I'll feel sorry for the next government, as they have to dig us out of the doodooo-not an easy task and doing that will upset some because yes it will come at a cost.
    Last edited by SuperZ; 17 April 2010, 15:26.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    It's obvious that no matter what happens with the election, there is only pain coming our way afterwards.

The goverim have been artificially propping up the economy until May with hundreds of billions of pounds worth of 'quantitative easing', so they can keep the recovery "locked in".

Trouble is there's been so much manipulation that even the 'professional economists' can't agree on what's going to happen over the next months and years. Hyperinflation, deflation, stagflation, ... may as well just put it all on red and cross your fingers.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Unless Greece is the spark to light the touchpaper of course!
    Hmm, the article I had bookmarked has disappeared from the Times web site.

Fortunately someone at Housepricecrash quoted it

The City Minister has written to the heads of Britain’s five biggest banks asking them to explain how they are preparing for bad credit card debts, The Times has learnt.

Lord Myners’ letter, which was sent on Thursday after a debate on the issue in the House of Lords, was copied to Lord Turner of Ecchinswell, chairman of the Financial Services Authority, and to Angela Knight, chief executive of the British Bankers’ Association.

There is growing disquiet among some peers that the rising number of people struggling to meet credit card debts will provoke another aftershock to the financial crisis as banks are forced to write off billions in “toxic” debt.

Britons owe more than £63 billion on credit cards. Speaking in the Lords this month, Lord Marlesford, a Tory peer, said that some banks had received less than 20 pence for every pound of debt passed on to debt collectors.

“What has the ... credit card debt on the bank’s balance sheets been valued at? If its is still valued at 100 pence in the pound, I would suggest that that represents a heavy burden of potential toxicity which could imperil, again, the financial system,” he said.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Financial crashes are the norm and are used by the wealthy to buy up cheap commodities and property while the poor get further into debt.

It is a bit like the game of Monopoly. If one player has hotels on Mayfair and Park Lane and the other has Old Kent Road, it is obvious who is going to win.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    If you think its over, I think you are fooling yourself. None of the political parties dare tell you how bad it really is.

Are you saying that if the Conservatives don't get in then interest rate will not go up?

A return of a Labour government will mean that there will be a huge risk premium on UK debt. Effective interest rates will be a LOT higher under Labour.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    I'm with Blaster Bates, oh and I love a good crash.
    We could see a correction but I doubt we'll see a crash. Nothing IMO in the short term will be able to shock and cause panic like 2008 did, and I doubt we'll see a 'crash' as you all call it. As I've said before, the crash has already happened and it's over. DOn't let the emotions of hating the missed opportunity make you miss out on what could be the mother of all bull markets.
    If the conservative get in, we could see a nice rally, even if the fundamentals don't necessarily support it. Without doing my research, hasn't the stock market seen better times under a conservative government?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Trading is easy

..... making money out of it consistently and constantly is the difficult bit.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    4 8 15 16 23 42.
    I wonder how many people play those numbers regularly. Would be spooky if they came up - even though statistically the odds are the same as any other combination.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    I'm with Blaster Bates, oh and I love a good crash.
    We could see a correction but I doubt we'll see a crash. Nothing IMO in the short term will be able to shock and cause panic like 2008 did, and I doubt we'll see a 'crash' as you all call it. As I've said before, the crash has already happened and it's over. DOn't let the emotions of hating the missed opportunity make you miss out on what could be the mother of all bull markets.
    If the conservative get in, we could see a nice rally, even if the fundamentals don't necessarily support it. Without doing my research, hasn't the stock market seen better times under a conservative government?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    The year was 1991.

Gonzo turned up to lecture number three of his second year economics course which the lecturer started by stating

Gonzo resigned from the Economics department after that lecture and sought refuge in the Politics department.

It was probably a short sighted decision but on the plus side, I find the events that are going on in the UK at the moment really interesting.
    Well, I guess that's the bright spot when these things happen; it gives economy geeks something to get excited about. Rather like this volcano for a geology geek like me; yesterday, one senior exec type was getting very wound up about missing his meeting in London and I then tried to cheer him up by explaining that by switching on the news and looking at a few websites he could witness new land forming in Iceland, the ongoing change and evolution of our planet, amazing sunsets caused by tiny glass particles in the stratosphere, AND get a scientific explanation of what's happening, as opposed to the victims of 1783's lost summer who had only the idiotics rantings of preachers of DOOM to listen to.

I would have sung the Universe Song for him but I still can't remember all the words.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    This is all becoming terribly bothersome. Can economists and investors not put their supposed expertise into agreeing on a solution to all this instead of just shouting DOOM all the time?
    The year was 1991.

Gonzo turned up to lecture number three of his second year economics course which the lecturer started by stating
    Over the next three weeks I will be talking to you about how the international currency markets work. Of course, if I really knew how the international currency markets work I wouldn't be here talking to you, I'd be making my living trading the international currency markets.
    Gonzo resigned from the Economics department after that lecture and sought refuge in the Politics department.

It was probably a short sighted decision but on the plus side, I find the events that are going on in the UK at the moment really interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    This is all becoming terribly bothersome. Can economists and investors not put their supposed expertise into agreeing on a solution to all this instead of just shouting DOOM all the time?

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I made £18K for last year.

I could have made £160K
    I did the same, had all the banks, and many of the mining stocks at the lowest ebb, sold for 25% gains, could easily have been 250%+ ... but you can't think like that. Making 18K is way better than the interest you'd have earned ...

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Big problem we usually have is calling the time to sell, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X