• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "About 20 plane crashes this year , weren't there ?"

Collapse

• AngelOfTheNorth
    replied
    Originally posted by moder8or View Post
    The worst part for me is when you pay the extra 12 quid to become a super boarder and when the gate opens the chavs surge to the desk in front of you, then the attendant announces that those who have paid may come to the front of the queue, and as you fight your way to the desk, tha chavvies mutter, "what have they ****ing got that we have'nt" and become threatening.
    it spoils the experience

You pay an extra 12 quid just to 'bagsie' the first seat?

Sad .......

Most places in Europe can be covered in 2 hours .... even if I don't get a seat next to my girlfriend on the plane, its hardly a big deal is it? (in fact truth be told, I kinda hope we don't get a seat together so I can enjoy some peace and quiet)

Leave a comment:

• moder8or
    replied
    even before you fly

The worst part for me is when you pay the extra 12 quid to become a super boarder and when the gate opens the chavs surge to the desk in front of you, then the attendant announces that those who have paid may come to the front of the queue, and as you fight your way to the desk, tha chavvies mutter, "what have they ****ing got that we have'nt" and become threatening.
    it spoils the experience

Leave a comment:

• AngelOfTheNorth
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    In a forum noted for drivel, this thread sets new records.
    Whose thick sockie is this?

Don't worry SasGuru ...... Im here to help with the signal to noise ratio

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    In a forum noted for drivel, this thread sets new records.
    Whose thick sockie is this?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Of course. But I'd rather be in a car at 70mph without a working engine than in a plane at 30,000 feet (or 1,000 feet, it doesn't really make much difference) without a working engine. I would think statistically, you're many more thousand times likely to live through the former.
    What do you need an engine for? 30,000 feet and no wings then I'd sh!t-meself!
    Last edited by Churchill; 12 April 2010, 07:23.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Four pre-flight Stellas usually helps me beat the wife.......
    FTFY

HTH

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    How do you know? Please tell me what you mean by this?
    I think he means this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_of_safety

It's a number which measures how over engineered something is.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    As the post I made on page 3 or 4 explains the factor of safety in plane design is low.

Google factor of safety.
    OK suit yourself.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    As the post I made on page 3 or 4 explains the factor of safety in plane design is low.

Google factor of safety.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Fundamentally it boils down the fear of heights which I think is largely incurable.

I have been told to go on one of these courses which are paid for by the airlines but I don't know if you have seen the cracker episode where he goes to a GA meeting and has them all betting at the end. I think I would be close to doing that

"how can you tell me it is safe when you have not non destructively tested each component in the plane! can you do that? can you? no you cannot and you are a flipin liar!!"

When I went to my doctors 10 years ago to get some vals for my round the world trip she gave me 10 2mg and told me 2 would do me for a flight, I had taken all ten on the flight between Glasgow and Gatwick. I dropped about 100mg to get me to Vietnam which a doctor told me should knock out a cow for a week. The lorazipam really works now, takes the edge of the anxiety.
    I had pretty much the same conv with my doc and with a friend of her indoors who is a GP. I didn't dare take 100mg but I also found that anything like the recommended dose had zero effect. I was (and still am) particularly bad during turbulence - not because I don't trust the plane but because I find it a deeply unpleasant experience and I want it to stop. I have pretty much given up on the pills - not sure where I could get enough to take them at the level needed anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Completely, i'm not arguing against flying, I know it's safe, it is my fear of heights that stops me getting on a plane.

What happens is that my fear of heights and my engineering degree get together when I get near a plane. I know the factor of safety is less in plane manufacture but at the end of the day it still is a factor of safety.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I don't want to worry you even more. But if you land in some countries with more than a couple of pills like that, they'll assume you're a drug dealer and shoot you.
    One reason why Dubai is strictly off the travel plan.

Just could not go there for those reasons.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

.. When I went to my doctors 10 years ago to get some vals for my round the world trip she gave me 10 2mg and told me 2 would do me for a flight, I had taken all ten on the flight between Glasgow and Gatwick. I dropped about 100mg to get me to Vietnam which a doctor told me should knock out a cow for a week. The lorazipam really works now, takes the edge of the anxiety.
    I don't want to worry you even more. But if you land in some countries with more than a couple of pills like that, they'll assume you're a drug dealer and shoot you.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Can't you just convince yourself its only a very noisy Nat Express Coach....

My Mrs went on one of those "Fear of Flying" Courses... it actually worked for her... lots of "Calm thoughts" etc but it included a quick whizz round the Airport (Gatwick I think) to show her/them how it all worked and even a short flight....

She flew on hols the following week with no problems....

To be fair she only ever "disliked" flying rather than really bad....
    and the following year she listened to the CD agian for a couple of weeks before we flew again...... cos she had "lost her nerve"....

I guess you've tried that already? (the courses rather than just the CD)
    Fundamentally it boils down the fear of heights which I think is largely incurable.

I have been told to go on one of these courses which are paid for by the airlines but I don't know if you have seen the cracker episode where he goes to a GA meeting and has them all betting at the end. I think I would be close to doing that

"how can you tell me it is safe when you have not non destructively tested each component in the plane! can you do that? can you? no you cannot and you are a feckin liar!!"

When I went to my doctors 10 years ago to get some vals for my round the world trip she gave me 10 2mg and told me 2 would do me for a flight, I had taken all ten on the flight between Glasgow and Gatwick. I dropped about 100mg to get me to Vietnam which a doctor told me should knock out a cow for a week. The lorazipam really works now, takes the edge of the anxiety.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If cars were allowed the freedom of space that planes were allowed then the car would be a safer means of transport.
    You can try driving your car through fields and over the top of roundabouts, but I don't think it will last long.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X