• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Business Analyst does anyone know what it is?"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    The above contributions sound too narrow a definition of a BA.

Business Analysts I have worked with cover the whole business, not just the IT bits. I wouldn't equate them with analyst-programmers.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    BAs are programmers who can't do the technical bit. Programmers are Business Analysts who can't do the human contact bit.

In the olden days, back when we only had steam-driven computers, we had beasts known as "Analyst Programmers", who could do the techy and the human bit. But their job titles were shortened to Anal Prog, so it wasn't going to last. Also, the job required a fair amount of demonstrable knowledge and skill, which didn't really suit the big consultancy companies. So they split the role up, and ditched the techy bit - using contractors for that, when they had to.
    WNATS.

I was thinking the exact same thing and was about to post it until I read this.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    BAs are programmers who can't do the technical bit. Programmers are Business Analysts who can't do the human contact bit.

In the olden days, back when we only had steam-driven computers, we had beasts known as "Analyst Programmers", who could do the techy and the human bit. But their job titles were shortened to Anal Prog, so it wasn't going to last. Also, the job required a fair amount of demonstrable knowledge and skill, which didn't really suit the big consultancy companies. So they split the role up, and ditched the techy bit - using contractors for that, when they had to.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    'nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by downsouth View Post
    seems to be the 'in vogue' job description to use these days, i'd rather be employing a person with actual skills/knowlegde in the area the project needs than just a generic BA what can put said findings in said format or perhaps thats just the background i come from
    I've been lucky enough to work with many good BA's on multiple projects, a real BA is definitely worth their rate or salary as they will drive change to business processes and help the techies produce a solution that fits the now efficient process.

I still think the OP is a trolling sockie though

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Suggest you speak to our resident BA, SuitsYou01 who will be able to regale you with tales from the coalface, so to speak.

Make sure you wear waterproof clothing though!

Leave a comment:

• downsouth
    replied
    seems to be the 'in vogue' job description to use these days, i'd rather be employing a person with actual skills/knowlegde in the area the project needs than just a generic BA what can put said findings in said format or perhaps thats just the background i come from

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
    I see quite a few of these posts of "Business Analyst" and wonder what is
    you need to qualify as one, to me it looks like an extension of software
    analyst, any ideas?
    They are not dissimilar to programmers but they wear suits, talk to you rather than their shoes, draw diagrams and can do joined-up writing.

Fish in a barrel ... sigh.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Ok, who's on a sockie trolling mission today?

Whoever it is must be desperately bored.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
    analyst, any ideas?
    Oh Dear....

BAs do what it says on the tin - they analyse the business, work on strategy, gather requirements, map processes, and meet up with systems analysts over a coffee and bitch about the PM. They use BPM tools, UML and all that fancy stuff.

Sometimes.

And sometimes they don't.

Here's a tutorial to help you find out more...
    Last edited by cojak; 5 April 2010, 17:48. Reason: I know - don't feed the trolls...

Leave a comment:

• Business Analyst does anyone know what it is?

analyst, any ideas?

Working...
X