• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gongman

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gongman"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Doesn't ring a bell. Great detective work though! I've just emailed my brother asking him to forward me the details of the text that's written on the back of it and how his common law wife came to own it.
    Got a reply back now.

Written on the back of the tam tam is:
    Steve Whittaker. Field end. 8417.

Steve Whittaker was a percussionist for either the London symphony or the philharmonic orchestra and owned the gong. He's the grandfather of my brother's common law wife, who now owns it.

Boonnnngggggggggg.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Not "Britten" by any chance?

Blades and Benjamin Britten were good friends.
    Doesn't ring a bell. Great detective work though! I've just emailed my brother asking him to forward me the details of the text that's written on the back of it and how his common law wife came to own it.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    And Youtube is now giving me this:

500 Internal Server Error

Sorry, something went wrong.

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.

Also, please include the following information in your error report:

<loads of technical looking gibberish deleted>

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    A true classic:

J. Arthur Rank on Gong

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I was too busy making bong sounds on it
    Wow, does it make bubbling noises too?

Oh, hang on, different definition of "bong"...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Unfortunately I forgot the name of the guy printed on the back of the gong, it did have a double t in it though, perhaps Whittaker. Not Blades. I'll get the full story next time I meet up with her. I was too busy making bong sounds on it
    Not "Britten" by any chance?

Blades and Benjamin Britten were good friends.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    A relative who was a nurse in London in the 50's & 60's told me that the guy who did the gong hit on film came in for some surgery, apparently he was too tall and wide for the normal surgical beds, something like 6'9".
    Bombardier Billy Wells, who was 6'3" and boxed between 182 and 192 lbs, according to Wikipedia, which is never, ever wrong

Of course people were smaller in those days. A chap who was 6'3" in the Fifties would have towered over the rest of the population as someone who's 6'8" does these days (Hi Churchill ).

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    A relative who was a nurse in London in the 50's & 60's told me that the guy who did the gong hit on film came in for some surgery, apparently he was too tall and wide for the normal surgical beds, something like 6'9".

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Anyone recall the gong that was hit before the start of oldish Rank films? I've just discovered one of my relatives has it! Or so she claims. She's quite matter-of-fact about owning it, but I was incredulous and couldn't stop banging it. I should have bought my loin cloth. It's actually a tam tam; the one you see being hit in the opening sequences was papier-mâché model that wasn't actually hit. I wonder if it's worth a few quid?

Gonnnngggggggggggggg.
    Sorry to disappoint you but the J A Rank gong was made from papier-mâché and the sound was added afterwards.

"If you hit that gong, you would have gone straight through,".

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...nk-410952.html
    Last edited by Paddy; 4 April 2010, 22:29.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I remember it well. An expression that us, erm, 32 year olds, liked to use was "a quick J Arthur". Nobody knows what it means anymore.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Cool!

The chap who actually played the tam-tam for that ident was James Blades, who also did the African drum Morse code "V for Victory" used by the BBC during WWII. He came to my school sometime in the mid-Seventies and gave a lecture with demonstrations of a vast array of different percussion instruments (including the Rank gong sound). It lasted about two hours, and was hugely entertaining
    Unfortunately I forgot the name of the guy printed on the back of the gong, it did have a double t in it though, perhaps Whittaker. Not Blades. I'll get the full story next time I meet up with her. I was too busy making bong sounds on it

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Cool!

The chap who actually played the tam-tam for that ident was James Blades, who also did the African drum Morse code "V for Victory" used by the BBC during WWII. He came to my school sometime in the mid-Seventies and gave a lecture with demonstrations of a vast array of different percussion instruments (including the Rank gong sound). It lasted about two hours, and was hugely entertaining

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    started a topic Gongman

Gongman

Anyone recall the gong that was hit before the start of oldish Rank films? I've just discovered one of my relatives has it! Or so she claims. She's quite matter-of-fact about owning it, but I was incredulous and couldn't stop banging it. I should have bought my loin cloth. It's actually a tam tam; the one you see being hit in the opening sequences was papier-mâché model that wasn't actually hit. I wonder if it's worth a few quid?

Gonnnngggggggggggggg.

Working...
X