• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone Else Doing On Call And Doing Support This Weekend But Not Getting Paid??"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Ah, even by my flexible standards, this is beyond 'cost of sale'. In future, I'd suggest telling this manager that you have plans, already made and unchangeable, so you can't be on call or monitor batch jobs. Suggest that if he wants for formalise support arrangements, to ensure your availability, he should put it in writing.

In response to any such written request, you can reply, 'per your request for quotation to perform xxxx the price will be ...'
    WHS

You can hardly be expected to work if you have weddings, stag weekends or other family events. These are the kind things you cannot get out off.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    Yes thats currently my school of thought - However he expects me to be on call support every other week (unpaid) and whilst the phone hardly rings if it does I am expected to answer

If I dont answer (which has happened) he gets very pissed off

This time round I was a bit pissed as being asked to stay in and monitor stuff on a four day bank holiday with no pay is a piss take.
    Ah, even by my flexible standards, this is beyond 'cost of sale'. In future, I'd suggest telling this manager that you have plans, already made and unchangeable, so you can't be on call or monitor batch jobs. Suggest that if he wants for formalise support arrangements, to ensure your availability, he should put it in writing.

In response to any such written request, you can reply, 'per your request for quotation to perform xxxx the price will be ...'

Others on here are likely to have better (and funnier) suggestions !

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Kfcing support!

Jesus. Are there any real contractors on this board. Monitoring a ******* batch job. I'd make sure it notified me if it failed that way Id only need to check in if it went down.

Amateurs
    This is Joey we are talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I was not asked - I was told...

And i bent over and took it
    Can I suggest soap on a rope - better for your a*se.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

Maybe you enjoy it?

Leave a comment:

• joey122
    replied
    Originally posted by Lightship
    And when you were asked, how did you respond?

Leave a comment:

• joey122
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Well I'm going to go against the flow: if you think this will benefit you, will increase goodwill, perhaps leading to a renewal, maybe a better rate, then you can consider it 'cost of sale' and sleep easy.

Proper businesses invest in their sales. Even noddies on here have a website and get a few business cards. Although most do this because they think it will show they are outside IR35

People who like to bill for every second are fooling themselves if they believe they are operating like a real business.

Yes thats currently my school of thought - However he expects me to be on call support every other week (unpaid) and whilst the phone hardly rings if it does I am expected to answer

If I dont answer (which has happened) he gets very pissed off

This time round I was a bit pissed as being asked to stay in and monitor stuff on a four day bank holiday with no pay is a piss take.

And no i cant change the batch to alert me...
    Last edited by joey122; 2 April 2010, 20:16.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Behave like a carpet and they'll walk all over you.

Grow a pair!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Well I'm going to go against the flow: if you think this will benefit you, will increase goodwill, perhaps leading to a renewal, maybe a better rate, then you can consider it 'cost of sale' and sleep easy.

Proper businesses invest in their sales. Even noddies on here have a website and get a few business cards. Although most do this because they think it will show they are outside IR35

People who like to bill for every second are fooling themselves if they believe they are operating like a real business.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Don't we have some Laydees as well?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Where've you been - Flounce is so last season Dahlink, Banned for Men is the new in thing.
    Sas. Banned for men is now so last week.

Pumpkin soup recipes and dangerous knife play is all the rage at the moment.

Get with the program luvvie!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Kfcing support!

Jesus. Are there any real contractors on this board. Monitoring a ******* batch job. I'd make sure it notified me if it failed that way Id only need to check in if it went down.

Amateurs

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Even permie's get paid if they are on call over weekends. At least I used to. If you are being denied this, then your manager thinks you are too much of a softie that he can use and abuse and manipulate.

hth

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lightship
    Have you forgotten, cojak? He's holding out for that £750 a day......
    A 50% jump from his purported £500pd.

Like they say in those shampoo ads - because he's worth it!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Feel like quite a loser - Work in a bank, have a good relationship with my manager but too pussy to ask to get paid for monitoring a batch that starts at 7AM each day and takes three hours to complete

My manager might pay but I worry about souring the relationship

I'd go back to permiedom, joey - you're really not very good at this contracting lark, are you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X