• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone Else Doing On Call And Doing Support This Weekend But Not Getting Paid??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Well I'm going to go against the flow: if you think this will benefit you, will increase goodwill, perhaps leading to a renewal, maybe a better rate, then you can consider it 'cost of sale' and sleep easy.

Proper businesses invest in their sales. Even noddies on here have a website and get a few business cards. Although most do this because they think it will show they are outside IR35

People who like to bill for every second are fooling themselves if they believe they are operating like a real business.

Yes thats currently my school of thought - However he expects me to be on call support every other week (unpaid) and whilst the phone hardly rings if it does I am expected to answer

If I dont answer (which has happened) he gets very pissed off

This time round I was a bit pissed as being asked to stay in and monitor stuff on a four day bank holiday with no pay is a piss take.

And no i cant change the batch to alert me...
    Last edited by joey122; 2 April 2010, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
      And when you were asked, how did you respond?
      I was not asked - I was told...

And i bent over and took it

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post

Maybe you enjoy it?
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Can I suggest soap on a rope - better for your a*se.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Kfcing support!

Jesus. Are there any real contractors on this board. Monitoring a ******* batch job. I'd make sure it notified me if it failed that way Id only need to check in if it went down.

Amateurs
            This is Joey we are talking about.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Yes thats currently my school of thought - However he expects me to be on call support every other week (unpaid) and whilst the phone hardly rings if it does I am expected to answer

If I dont answer (which has happened) he gets very pissed off

This time round I was a bit pissed as being asked to stay in and monitor stuff on a four day bank holiday with no pay is a piss take.
              Ah, even by my flexible standards, this is beyond 'cost of sale'. In future, I'd suggest telling this manager that you have plans, already made and unchangeable, so you can't be on call or monitor batch jobs. Suggest that if he wants for formalise support arrangements, to ensure your availability, he should put it in writing.

In response to any such written request, you can reply, 'per your request for quotation to perform xxxx the price will be ...'

Others on here are likely to have better (and funnier) suggestions !

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Ah, even by my flexible standards, this is beyond 'cost of sale'. In future, I'd suggest telling this manager that you have plans, already made and unchangeable, so you can't be on call or monitor batch jobs. Suggest that if he wants for formalise support arrangements, to ensure your availability, he should put it in writing.

In response to any such written request, you can reply, 'per your request for quotation to perform xxxx the price will be ...'
                WHS

You can hardly be expected to work if you have weddings, stag weekends or other family events. These are the kind things you cannot get out off.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X