• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which one to choose?"

Collapse

• Tomas888
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomas888 View Post
    I left the secondary school 4 years ago without doing any IT related job since then.
    Just want to say that it doesn`t mean that I am new to computing, I studied IT and maths in the secondary school and I do like it. [I wouldn`t say that my knowledge is outdated. I keep up with the IT related news - both technological and business - use and learn Linux, experiment with other stuff and so on. (Maybe you`ll say that I`m a wannabe ) However, my maths-skills would need to be refreshed, that`s true.]

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I knew this site, it helped me to decide if Greenwich will be good enough for me.

In Computer Science their ranking (~57th) is far better than the overall ranking. Given that a year ago I am not sure I was able to speak English on intermediate level (now still just upper-intermediate, B2 :/ ) and that I left the secondary school 4 years ago without doing any IT related job since then I think this is the maximum I could have achieved. I just hope that it will be enough on the "market". On the other hand, I hope that my skills will be good enough to continue on a master`s course on an even better university after I finished my BSc.
    Just a tip - you are better off going to a better university which has links with industry and getting up to date experience, rather than doing a Masters afterwards as it will save you lots of money.

Also you won't be marked on your spoken English until the end of the course however your written English needs to be good at the beginning as this is harder to improve.

I studied and worked with people who had a good grasp of written English but spoken English was bad at the start. (OK some of them were doing international law courses.) They quickly improved their spoken English by hanging around with people whose mother tongue was English. So I recommend you start reading great works of English fiction and watching British comedies like Red Dwarf now. You don't have to spend any money as the books you can get from a library and the comedies are available on freeview.

Leave a comment:

• Tomas888
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I knew this site, it helped me to decide if Greenwich will be good enough for me.

In Computer Science their ranking (~57th) is far better than the overall ranking. Given that a year ago I am not sure I was able to speak English on intermediate level (now still just upper-intermediate, B2 :/ ) and that I left the secondary school 4 years ago without doing any IT related job since then I think this is the maximum I could have achieved. I just hope that it will be enough on the "market". On the other hand, I hope that my skills will be good enough to continue on a master`s course on an even better university after I finished my BSc.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    At entry level, it is more important to exhibit some semblance of intelligence, be able to string a coherant sentance together and be able to folllow basic instructions without cocking them up.
    coherent

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Hi,

Having a confusing question I would like to ask for advice. I have been offered places on two different courses. These are (imho) similar in what they aim to achieve though fairly different in their content. What I want to ask is what is the difference between the jobs/positions I can expect regarding my choice.

(Any advice is welcome)

The courses:

Computer Systems and Networking BSc. (Hons)

IT with Networking BSc. (Hons)

Thank you for your help.
    You dont say if you have been working previously, are changing jobs, looking for a way back into work after redundancy or something else.

Generally speaking, unless you plan on doing a higher degree afterwards, it makes no difference. The only time a degree subject will make a difference is if you have a 2.1 or better from a high profile university. This will help you get into Banking/Finance ( on the permie side atleast ).

Employers look for something vaguely relevant to the job they want you to do and some experience of doing it or something similar.

At entry level, it is more important to exhibit some semblance of intelligence, be able to string a coherant sentance together and be able to folllow basic instructions without cocking them up.

If you are looking for a career change, who knows. Right now the market is as crap in IT as it is everywhere else. In three years time who knows what will be relevent or not.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Yes, I am sure you have lots of opinions that will never change

That completes our dinosaur museum tour for today.

Move along, nothing new to see here.
    You forgot this...

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Too much detail, I think you're over-egging the pudding. It doesn't really matter what I believe and tbh you're not going to change my opinion.
    Yes, I am sure you have lots of opinions that will never change

That completes our dinosaur museum tour for today.

Move along, nothing new to see here.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    mates

HTH
    Watch it mate, she might be dyslexic.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    One of my mate's does that.
    mates

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I will let the people at the assessment centre know they were wasting their time; you could diagnose people by the use of one word.

I have mentioned it on the forum before. I left school at 14 unable to read or write.
    Too much detail, I think you're over-egging the pudding. It doesn't really matter what I believe and tbh you're not going to change my opinion.

Stop being so f***** pedantic.

Most of alreadypacked's posts are fine.

There are few people around who are dyslexic and even more people around who have never been taught spelling and English Grammar thanks to the teaching methods used in primary schools the 70s and 80s.

By the time someone is at university it's too late as they should have been taught this stuff in primary school.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Only because I put them in Word to spell check them, sometime I don't bother.
    One of my mate's does that.

When she got a new computer the first thing she did was phone me up in distress because she hadn't sourced a copy of Word.

However you can get browser spell checkers. I have one at the moment. However I've not seen one that checks your grammar as well.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied

There are few people around who are dyslexic and even more people around who have never been taught spelling and English Grammar thanks to the teaching methods used in primary schools the 70s and 80s.

By the time someone is at university it's too late as they should have been taught this stuff in primary school.

Only because I put them in Word to spell check them, sometime I don't bother.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I don't normally do this, but in your case I'll make an exception

Useless client machine that only runs IE6

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I think your response is convenient and no, I don't believe you are dyslexic.

Surely you would describe yourself as being dyslexic and not as "have dyslexia"?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I think your response is convenient and no, I don't believe you are dyslexic.

Surely you would describe yourself as being dyslexic and not as "have dyslexia"?
    I will let the people at the assessment centre know they were wasting their time; you could diagnose people by the use of one word.

I have mentioned it on the forum before. I left school at 14 unable to read or write.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X