• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which one to choose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olly,

forget posting here, get your priorities right,

get down the Land Registry and make sure you have staked your claim to your apartment

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      Olly,

forget posting here, get your priorities right,

get down the Land Registry and make sure you have staked your claim to your apartment

Milan.
      Yes boss!
      Actually it's about time I wrote mails to the neighbours to find out what's going on with all that. Ok will stick it on the list. Need to pay the municipal tax too, not sure when it's due but there's a 5% discount if you pay in the first quarter I think. Oooops....own worst enemy

Comment

I would not advise anyone to choose IT as a career unless it is also your passion. Far from evolving into a stable ‘profession’ like law, accountancy etc, It has become even more unstable as technology changes and business need to eliminate non-core costs take effect. Techies/coders are under huge pressure from a shrinking world full of developers, support has already gone to NMW + a quid, everyone is scrambling into BA/PM/SDM roles which are already showing rates pressure (recession of course contributes).
        Computer degree courses are notoriously slow to keep pace, even if Comp Sci grads always try to claim better foundation of knowledge etc.
        Yes, currently, most outsourcing arrangements seem to be more trouble than they are worth and rarely produce the desired result (apart from the headline cost reduction which is the whole point). BUT, they will get better at it over time just as the first manufacturing efforts in Japan/China were laughed at, the quality improves over time.
        The future is more stable and resilient hardware and software requiring less maintenance (the kit is already light years ahead of just a few years ago) because there is a huge business need for this to reduce the cost, demand = supply. This reduces the numbers needed across the whole IT picture, from support to developer to PM to SDM.
        Yes, there will still be a number who can command a premium in niche roles, especially those that can be linked to generation of revenue. Plenty more are doing OK currently but we are in a profession where everything you have learnt over the course of years can be worthless almost overnight. If you are in IT, better sort a plan B, of you are out of IT, I would consider staying out !

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
          An IT or Comp Sci degree doesn't necessarily help or hinder you if you want a career in that area - if you have the aptitute then you can cross-skill easily.

I did management as a degree, then became a consultant (mainly technical). As long as you have the aptitude to be a techie, it's easy enough - I always reckoned I could teach PL/SQL, SQL and Oracle tools to anyone with the right aptitude, but teaching someone to be a decent consultant or business person is a completely different matter.

Of the two, I'd do Comp Sci if that's really where you want to be going. That said, if I could do it again I would have specialized in law rather than the path I chose. My daughter (althoguh she is only 6) keeps saying that she wants to work with computers and I keep trying to diplomatically steer her anywhere else.
          I don't normally do this, but in your case I'll make an exception

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            What bloody language was that supposed to be? If you're a product of a university education then you're hardly an advert!
            Well I am a product of a university education with dyslexia.

HTH
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              Well I am a product of a university education with dyslexia.

HTH
              Bollocks

Comment

Bollocks
                Not sure what you mean.

You don't think that dyslexia exists.

or

You don't think I have dyslexia
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  Not sure what you mean.

You don't think that dyslexia exists.

or

You don't think I have dyslexia
                  I think your response is convenient and no, I don't believe you are dyslexic.

Surely you would describe yourself as being dyslexic and not as "have dyslexia"?

Comment

Surely you would describe yourself as being dyslexic and not as "have dyslexia"?
                    I will let the people at the assessment centre know they were wasting their time; you could diagnose people by the use of one word.

I have mentioned it on the forum before. I left school at 14 unable to read or write.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Stop being so f***** pedantic.

Most of alreadypacked's posts are fine.

There are few people around who are dyslexic and even more people around who have never been taught spelling and English Grammar thanks to the teaching methods used in primary schools the 70s and 80s.

By the time someone is at university it's too late as they should have been taught this stuff in primary school.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X