• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The server is alive"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Me too - come back EO. We love you!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Oh darn it! Thought for a minute that EO had returned! But no!

However, after checking his profile I did see this.....

Last Activity: Yesterday 13:37

So..........life in the old dog yet we can hope!

Leave a comment:

• TheVoice
    replied
    Sounds like time to order a cosy armchair on expenses, get a log fire or wood burner fitted, nice big thick rug - server on the rug then curl up with your large animal sleeping on the rug by the fire!

Purrrrrrrfect!

(Alternatively...just skip the bloody thing if its really p155ing you off! )

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    No idea, there was no fan in it but it definately made a very low level sound. I guess it was some sort or electrical effect, but it was definately spooky.
    http://www.zx81.nl/

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Time to call out...

THE VAXORCIST

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    One of the main servers in client co, is a few feet from me. The hard drive or fan is making a soft soughing noise
    almost like a large dog, or a small lion breathing gently. As the pitch changes, or it gets louder or quieter, it's uncannily like a large animal, sleeping.

spooksville arizona

If it's only one of the main servers, then just reach out and switch it off. They've got others. It'll be alright.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I just created a file called bone.yum, and copied it to the server.

<cough>

well it made me laugh anyway

Now if you were playng with AOL Organizer files.....

hint: the file extensiton is .er

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I just created a file called bone.yum, and copied it to the server.

<cough>

well it made me laugh anyway

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    How the hell did it make a noise? Did it have a cooling fan in the ram pack?
    No idea, there was no fan in it but it definately made a very low level sound. I guess it was some sort or electrical effect, but it was definately spooky.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Kick 'im in the bit bucket

I used to have a ZX81 with the 16k ram pack. It used to make a sound like someone whisperering just too quietly to make out what they were saying. It could be very disconcerting at night when it was very quiet. You could *almost* hear the words, but not quite.
    How the hell did it make a noise? Did it have a cooling fan in the ram pack?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Kick 'im in the bit bucket

I used to have a ZX81 with the 16k ram pack. It used to make a sound like someone whisperering just too quietly to make out what they were saying. It could be very disconcerting at night when it was very quiet. You could *almost* hear the words, but not quite.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    I'll byte your leg if you do!
    Just nibble at a bit. He'll get hexed if you eat too much.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It's me, snoring. Stop TOUCHING ME!!!!!
    i'm gonna reboot you

I'll byte your leg if you do!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    i'm gonna reboot you

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    One of the main servers in client co, is a few feet from me. The hard drive or fan is making a soft soughing noise
    almost like a large dog, or a small lion breathing gently.
    As the pitch changes, or it gets louder or quieter, it's uncannily like a large animal, sleeping.

spooksville arizona

Leave a comment:

Working...
X