• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Stand by, and watch 1992 happen all over again"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I do remember how the IT contractor market flourished after Thatcher implemented her reforms of the Nationalised industries, and how it continued to flourish until your lot took over...
    ...and introduced IR35.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    I'm not really that partisan when it comes to party politics but I'm probably a right leaning liberal. I can appreciate that there are, and have been, some good people in Labour (Frank Field, Robin Cook, Mo Mowlam, Tony Banks - funny how they all pop their clogs innit?) but I have to say hand on heart, I loathe Gordon Brown and his henchmen (Balls, Harman et al) with a passion. So I will do what is necessary to get rid of 'em & that is vote Tory, when in reality I'd rather vote for the Lib Dem guy because he really is a smashing bloke who works hard for his constituents. David Heath (Somerton & Frome), in case you were wondering.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Many of the voters in 1992 still remembered the labour mess of the 70s (usual cycle at the end of a labour gov.) and what Maggie had done to make a prosperous late 1980s.
    As usual, people's memories do not go back any further than 1975.

Neither of the parties comes out of the 1970s crowned in glory.

As for the recession of 1992/1993, it followed a debt-feulled splurge supported by an illusory wealth effected caused by a property boom making everyone feel richer than they really were.

You'd think the country would learn wouldn't you?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    That is exactly what happened. I don't know whether the Tory fans here have forgotten that, are too young to have seen it, don't care that it happened, or just blindly deny that it happened. Perhaps some of them can tell us?
    I do remember how the IT contractor market flourished after Thatcher implemented her reforms of the Nationalised industries, and how it continued to flourish until your lot took over.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    You pendantic fool. Of course I could argue that you are not only voting for a party but a prime minister as well but ...
    ... you're not - as Gordon Brown and John Major have shown. You are voting for the party not the person who happens to be leading it at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    If you have the opportunity to vote for Cameron, then it makes very little difference since the Lib Dems are unlikely to overturn the 14k majority that he has at the next election.

Or did you mean that you were going to vote for the party of which he is the leader? It's not quite the same thing, you know.
    You pendantic fool. Of course I could argue that you are not only voting for a party but a prime minister as well but ...

You know what was meant. Leave the silly little games to people who have to call themselves guru's.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    As I may have said before,

You can't live with 'em, you can't hack of their heads and bury them under the patio...
    Yep, I’ve laid one patio in my life and then said ‘never again’. Bloody pain in the arse trying to get it level.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    There's no point arguing with Jeebo. He's usually drunk or stoned and the largest Walter Mitty character on here.
    You really are a silly billy aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    I'm voting for Cameron. End of.
    If you have the opportunity to vote for Cameron, then it makes very little difference since the Lib Dems are unlikely to overturn the 14k majority that he has at the next election.

Or did you mean that you were going to vote for the party of which he is the leader? It's not quite the same thing, you know.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Women, eh
    As I may have said before,

You can't live with 'em, you can't hack of their heads and bury them under the patio...

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    There's no point arguing with Jeebo. He's usually drunk or stoned and the largest Walter Mitty character on here.
    There's no point arguing with Tarquin - he's so entrenched he'll hit China next week.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Odd isn't it?
    Women, eh

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Gordon Bennett, at my age one was enough.

I thought I was going to die once or twice.
    Ah, I see. I was a young athlete with toned, rippling muscles, a mane of longish blonde hair and time on my hands and money in my pocket. I’m glad I don’t have to go out looking for a girl these days; I think it would be a little more difficult than back in 1992. Their taste appears to have changed

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    Is that a YES you admit the Tories did that? Or a NO they didn't or at least if they did it doesn't matter because I don't like Labour.....?

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Let's not forget twatting some Argies for votes. And killing some of my mates....
    Maggie killed your mates? Or did your mates sign up for the army and get posted? My mates did to, and luckily they came back. But they choose the army life.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X