• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Previous owner problem"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Identity theft? Pah. Just go on about sex with dead male squids and nobody will touch your identity with a barge pole.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I would do so, but have no forwarding address for said previous owner.

Estate agents will not give me any details and apparently they have archived any details of sales in the last 3 years (helpful, not!).
    Perhaps a long shot, but the solicitor you used to buy the house might be able to ask the vendor's solicitor to forward a letter.

I don't know how you can convince these people otherwise that this barsteward doesn't live here.
    When I got a load of insurance guff for someone who nobody seemed to know, I did the "Return to Sender" bit, and simply got the lot back. What fixed it was sending the insurance company a letter saying that any further post that had to be returned would be subject to an administrative fee plus P&P plus VAT.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    The previous owner of my place was being pursued for debt. I did eventually have someone (a bailiff I think) turn up at my door looking for him. I told him that he was a couple of years to late, and never heard any more.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Personally, I think both practices ought to be illegal.
    I agree, but there is a deeper intention as to why it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    And that aint true either. Many years ago as a student we had the same problem. I had a massive argument with a guy on the phone as I had opened the mail and phoned up. He read me the riot act.

About a week later we had the police turn up, who also read us the riot act about tampering with the mail.

I've opened mail addressed to previous occupants in rented accommodation and phoned the companies up. Nothing happened.

One of them did happen to be the bank I banked with at the time though and they questioned me greatly until I pointed out I also banked with them.

The issue they had is they didn't understand why someone was using their bank account and was using the address I was living at for over 2 years when they had left a few months before I moved in. Oh and they weren't in debt.

BTW it's not illegal to open mail not addressed to you unless you plan on doing something dodgy with it. Telling companies that they are sending mail incorrectly to your address is not illegal.

Have a search on moneysavingexpert on how to deal with bailiffs but be warned that if you leave a window open a bailiff has the right to enter by that window regardless of high up the window is.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 6 March 2010, 23:47.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

Estate agents will not give me any details and apparently they have archived any details of sales in the last 3 years (helpful, not!).

Looking at the mail received this morning, the loan was taken out while he was living here, so hasn't been taken recently. (thankfully, otherwise I would be going to police).
    The bank where he has this loan aren't being very helpful, I have asked them to contact said person to ensure that they provide correct address, but they haven't given any assurances.

I don't know how you can convince these people otherwise that this barsteward doesn't live here.
    As said use Experian or Equifax to see if his info is going onto your file (If not don't worry). If so, get yourself dissociated from him (it may be assumed you are connected by virtue of sharing the address). One you have done that the matter should be over. Just put the letters in a box or return to sender. I wouldn't bin or open other people's letters. A lot of big companies are using shadowy collection agnencies now who do not follow good practice, which makes this issue all the more frustrating!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    In order to get out of this norrahe, you need to write very strong letters to those involved and threaten them with court action such as an injunctions.

Looking at the mail received this morning, the loan was taken out while he was living here, so hasn't been taken recently. (thankfully, otherwise I would be going to police).
    The bank where he has this loan aren't being very helpful, I have asked them to contact said person to ensure that they provide correct address, but they haven't given any assurances.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I have had similar incidences. Even when the law is on you side there is very little you can do. If you move house again, get the solicitor to check the credit record of that address. If there is a credit problem at that address, get it fixed prior to exchange of contracts.

If is a very serious problem and unfortunately companies and individuals don’t take it seriously. I had a gas bill for a Mr Singh even though I don’t have gas. A Mr Singh gave my address as a forwarding address. I had six months of phone calls and correspondence with British Gas and they threatened to cut off my gas supply even though I didn’t have a gas supply. One day I came back from work to find the locks changed. British Gas had forced there way in to cut the gas off. A letter stated “We could not find your gas meter”

I contacted Ofgas or whatever it was called then, and I was told that they could not help me because I was not a gas customer. It gets worse but I will stop there.

Bailiffs do have more powers that people believe and even though bailiffs seem to have shady backgrounds, they are protected in law like the police. However, they don’t have to identify themselves like the police.

Once bailiffs get in your property, they can take away your goods, computer, documents etc. It will be up to you to get them back by proving that you are the innocent party.

Before the Muppets on CUK start countering the above, I have sorted out similar problems for friends and even friends of friends. My experience has been practical experience not cut and past info from the net.

In order to get out of this norrahe, you need to write very strong letters to those involved and threaten them with court action such as an injunctions.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Hmm, maybe when you purchase a property it's worth getting, as a condition of the sale, the vendor's written consent to open subsequent mail received there addressed to them.

A kosher vendor, who promptly has their mail redirected, shouldn't object, and one would be covered for "tampering with mail".
    makes you wonder why this isnt standard, even if it's done via the agent.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Hmm, maybe when you purchase a property it's worth getting, as a condition of the sale, the vendor's written consent to open subsequent mail received there addressed to them.

A kosher vendor, who promptly has their mail redirected, shouldn't object, and one would be covered for "tampering with mail".

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Don't worry. If you do start getting letters from baliffs, write to them (recorded delivery) and tell them the person doesn't live there and to stop harassing you. In the unliely event that one turns up on your doorstep, you don't have to let them in (unless they are collecting for the council or HMRC). Show em your driving licence to prove your identity.
    This problem has been covered on Moneysavingexpert (I think that's where I got the above info) so have a search on there.
    I've checked all the stuff about bailiffs online.

Its the fact he may have taken the loan out using our address.

If he has that's fraud.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    The company isn't listed with companies house, just checked.

If the loan does appear on my credit rating (but according to experian it shouldn't), I will get in touch.

I hope this is a loan from before we bought the place, but the fact this mail has been appearing recently does not inspire me with hope.

Always put return to sender has not lived for "n" years etc... etc... but it has had no impact.
    Don't worry. If you do start getting letters from baliffs, write to them (recorded delivery) and tell them the person doesn't live there and to stop harassing you. In the unliely event that one turns up on your doorstep, you don't have to let them in (unless they are collecting for the council or HMRC). Show em your driving licence to prove your identity.
    This problem has been covered on Moneysavingexpert (I think that's where I got the above info) so have a search on there.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    In the circumstances described there is a resonable right to open the mail.
    yep.

sometimes the law is a ass

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    And that aint true either. Many years ago as a student we had the same problem. I had a massive argument with a guy on the phone as I had opened the mail and phoned up. He read me the riot act.

About a week later we had the police turn up, who also read us the riot act about tampering with the mail.
    In the circumstances described there is a resonable right to open the mail.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Not sure. It was against my old address. Our redirection finished and there must have been a couple of pieces that went through, you know that irritating stuff from banks/credit cards. Doesnt matter that you changed your address everywhere there is always an old piece

The woman who took the place had builders in. I reckon it was one of them as they had keys to her place for a month and all mail went to there. It's just she noticed some and sent it to me. In the end, it was 4 bank accounts and three credit cards. Then someone also went into a PO in London with some ID and paid for a Postal redirection - blocking mine.

Oh I had some fun.

The police reckoned it was because I was a company director though and things like my name, address, job & DOB are public knowledge. There is a website that will let you reverse search an address for LTD companies, tell you the director name and their DOB.

Needless to say. IT has ruined my Credit record. In Norrahes case it's annoying, but it wont affect his credit.
    It often starts with those pre-filled application forms that a lot of companies are fond of sending out. They aren't necessarily a company you have dealt with, they just have your details on a mailing list that won't get updated when you move.

Directors names and company addresses are a matter of public record and can be obtained from companies house. A few companies correlate this information and sell it on as marketing material.

Personally, I think both practices ought to be illegal.
    Last edited by doodab; 6 March 2010, 11:09.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X