• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Market picking up ?"

Collapse

• alreadypacked
    replied
    My contract finishes at the end of March, I said I was looking for 6 month ext. Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but I don't want 3 months and end up in the middle of the summer with no work and little chance of getting any. At least now I have a chance of getting 6 months else where, I hope

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Loads of damn permie roles which I never wanna go back to unless I am offered ridiculous amounts of money.

However, market for Microsoft technologies development seems to be really picking up. I am hopeful I can find one soon after this contract will finish. Though its only hopeful at the moment until the bench is cleared. Am getting loads of calls even though I keep telling them I am in contract, which is kinda wierd?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post

I've had loadsa calls in the past 2 weeks most of them for permie though. ..
    Oh I get loads of calls and emails about permie roles. But they don't count (yet).

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Loads of calls received here but they're picking up on old experience on my CV. From hardware system programming through to penetration testing(£280 a day only) and even business analysis I've had calls about them all. Rates are rubbish though.

I'm already in a gig anyway, albeit a little bored but trying to keep the pecker up for now while I learn some new stuff(in spare time) which hopefully I'l use for the next gig.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    I am getting lots of emails and calls

market is picking up folks

time to up rates

Milan.
    I agree, interview is organised next week for a job with a 100% rate hike. Only an outside chance I reckon, but better to be in with a chance than not at all.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    I've had loadsa calls in the past 2 weeks most of them for permie though. I've told the pimps I'd consider a good permie role and quoted a high salary. I've had some interviews and turned one down, will be going for another interview next week.

Got one call today the pimp said it was a PM role in a bank. I said I didn't have banking experience, he said it didn't matter. I said how come it didn't matter its being mattering for months. He said the bank wants the right level person with the right skills regardless of industry and there was a shortage of PMs at that level. Hmm - well he didn't ask for any references yet.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    It's always the way...

At least by 5pm you'll know one way or another if you've got it....
    Will wait and see, i don't think I'll hear anything from them today.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I just got a call and have been put forward for summat.

Apparently the start date is 1st March
    It's always the way...

At least by 5pm you'll know one way or another if you've got it....

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    WSS, no doubt about it
    I just got a call and have been put forward for summat.

Apparently the start date is 1st March

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Calls?

What are they?

Nowt on my market as all they seem to be doing is shutting down projects till April.
    WSS, no doubt about it

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    OK....I got a cold call Sunday and I did tell them it would have to be at least 500. We haven't spoken about rates since

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
    Rates are quite decent there then. Is that cos taxation is high?
    No, it's because most IT people work for consultancies whose rates include employers and employees taxes, social security contributions, insurance, training costs and directors' Mercedes costs. It's generally only the really experienced people who go freelance.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Rates are quite decent there then. Is that cos taxation is high?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
    Cypherconsult. Based in Holland by the Tel #
    Get them above 65 euros per hour. 67.50 would be achievable imo.

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    I am getting lots of emails and calls

market is picking up folks

time to up rates

Milan.
    2 .net tape changers getting the chop in the next 2 months.
    Both have nowhere to go. Market dead.
    Nervously, they smile and politely exchange professional small talk - they size each other up - there must be a chance for one of us.
    "Which one of us will wear the crown in the beauty parade?" they both think.
    Both think that one of them should be be saved but which one?
    Both don't realsie or accept that they arn't needed anymore...by anyone....ever again.....

"Someone must want me - I'm really good - Look, I've been in continuous gigs for 5 years".

The silence is deafening.....

.....except for agent calls

Leave a comment:

Working...
X