• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you answer your phone (when looking for a new gig)?"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Probably.

I had the same issue when I got my N95 years ago. I had to phone up O2 and get them to change the setting. They then gave me this code which I wrote down so I could change the number of rings any time I wanted. Shame I lost it.
    I use a Nokia N95. The problem is it's festooned with so many buttons all round the side that if you grab the phone from yoiur pocket when it rings, the chances are you'll accidently press one and turn on the loudspeaker or start taking photos.

Also, apparently the N95 has been responsible for dozens of divorces, because snapping it shut doesn't disconnect the call as one would expect. You have to press the lower right red disconnect button.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post

There is a setting on the phone to ring two more times before diverting but it didn't seem to work - is this an Orange network setting?
    Probably.

I had the same issue when I got my N95 years ago. I had to phone up O2 and get them to change the setting. They then gave me this code which I wrote down so I could change the number of rings any time I wanted. Shame I lost it.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post

I say 'hello my references are'....tell them and then they can hang up as they have got what they wanted
    So true

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    the time it takes me to hear my phone, reach into my pocket, take it out of its leather pouch and press the answer key is the EXACT time it takes for the phone to divert to voicemail.

Dunno if that is a good thing or bad, if its important they leave a message - in fact I've had quite a few this week from pimps - all for permie roles or contract to perm roles.

There is a setting on the phone to ring two more times before diverting but it didn't seem to work - is this an Orange network setting?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I got hung up on by a blocked phone number that just called me up. I am looking for a new gig at the moment so it can only have been a pimp that decided they didn’t like the way I said “hello” when answering my own phone.

How do you answer your phone when pimps phone you up? Do you just say “hello?” or do you put on your best secretarial voice and answer with “MyLtdCo – how can I help?”
    "Ni hao ma. You want chi or fwy?"

"Hello, can I speak to threaded?"

"No, this chinky, you want chi or fwy?"

"Is this the correct number for threaded?"

"No, no threaded here, this chinky, you want chi or fwy? You no p1ss about, chi or fwy?"

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Hello, Cojak speaking.

Clipped and business-like. It's automatic, I've started phone calls from Mr C that way too...
    Bedroom activities

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Heaven, God speaking
    Sorry, wrong number.

Cucumber.

I wanted this guy

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Heaven, God speaking

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    How do you answer your phone when pimps phone you up?
    'Hello. Are you applying for the position of being my new pimp?'

Leave a comment:

• Unicorn
    replied
    How do you answer your phone when pimps phone you up? Do you just say “hello?” or do you put on your best secretarial voice and answer with “MyLtdCo – how can I help?”
    I've always wanted to try "DS Jones, Metropolitan Police speaking, who may I ask is calling ?" and count the seconds in the long following pause.

Probably best to try when actually in a gig though.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    I'm currently on a "Tankard O'Terror". Is the best I can get!
    I've got one of those!

I think the 5 man new one and ToC (5 man HC) have upgrades to my naxx ones which are sooooo 3 seasons ago...

I haven't got time to raid these days (unless I get benched any time soon) so just PVP for me

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuup"

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    I haven't even done the new 5 mans yet Must get new daggers..
    I'm currently on a "Tankard O'Terror". Is the best I can get!

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    I haven't even done the new 5 mans yet Must get new daggers..
    Poor show. Get stuck in. They are very well designed.

We're doing the ICC raids. Slowly.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    To quote BGG technique...

I usually say in my best "posh voice",

"Hello Control, are we go live ?"

..they usually stumble for a moment then launch in to their spiel.

I interrupt and say "Hello ? I don't think you are Control. How did you get this number ? It's a secure line. I'm afraid you have committed a security breach. Please stay on the line whilst we trace your call and dispatch a team".

No one has ever yet stayed on the line...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X