• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Onanists

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Onanists"

Collapse

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    The welfare state has a lot to do with that threaded. It encourages us to look to the state for things that in more natural societies would be our responsibility. When we have paid so much throughout our lives to care for perfect strangers it's hardly surprising.
    There's a lot of truth in that. I feel that the welfare state is essential as is state education and the NHS. The problem is how to target the deserving needy. But as you say there is more to it than that. If people feel that whatever happens, there will be someone to pick them up off the floor, then there is no incentive to save for the future, or improve their education level etc. A lot of Brown's taxes are disincentives e.g. free carehome if unable to pay, not free if able to pay. And you also have to consider those who through no fault of their own suffer. Women often do not build up large pension pots because they stay at home to look after children, or take a lower paid part time job, so that they can do 'home duties' e.g. collecting kids from school.

One problem is that the current pension system is inefficient. Current NI contributions go to pay current pensions, rather than being invested as per private pensions. Perhaps a compulsory private pension scheme, with credits being given for the unemployed/sick etc?

Alternatively we bring back the poor laws, and the work house, force paupers to wear a large P on the front of their clothes, deport them back to their parish if they stray and so on.

Fungus

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by TGAOTU
    Spot the next one heading towards his twilight years...

Don't worry about your old age Threaded, fat bastards usually die of a heart attack way before their dotage!
    It's nice to see two old friends exchanging friendly greetings. It restores my faith in humanity.

Fungus

Leave a comment:

• TGAOTU
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    You haven't quite got the goodwill seasonal spirit in you, TGAOTU, have you?
    Humbug!

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    You haven't quite got the goodwill seasonal spirit in you, TGAOTU, have you?

Leave a comment:

• TGAOTU
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    What I find wrong is that with this so called welfare state thousands of pensioners, who have worked hard and paid their taxes all their lives, die alone and in poverty.

So called "primitive" cultures honour their elderly.
    Spot the next one heading towards his twilight years...

Don't worry about your old age Threaded, fat bastards usually die of a heart attack way before their dotage!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    The welfare state has a lot to do with that threaded. It encourages us to look to the state for things that in more natural societies would be our responsibility. When we have paid so much throughout our lives to care for perfect strangers it's hardly surprising.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    What I find wrong is that with this so called welfare state thousands of pensioners, who have worked hard and paid their taxes all their lives, die alone and in poverty.

So called "primitive" cultures honour their elderly.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    The distinction that used to exist, in the Elizabethan period and until the 1900s was between the deserving and the undeserving poor. The former were children, the aged and the disabled, and they received help which, by the low standards of the time, was not too ungenerous.

Now we only look at need and never deserts. That destroys inventive among the populace at large and long term probably does no good for the recipients. Every problem we have in life is primarily our own, not everybody else's. First we should be expected to do what we can to help ourselves; only if we try our best and fail should we expect to depend on others.

bloggoth: More failures and more retreats - Welfare reform

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    Absolutely. Said that on here many times. We should have reformed the poor laws instead. Seriously. Locally administration, parish level. At parish level they can distinguish the deserving poor from the rest, a huge faceless beurocracy can never so that.
    That was one of the arguments forwarded in this evening's Hecklers.

Dundee, the hypothesis was not so [that more people would be worse off]. It being that (for example) high benefit levels are a disincentive to achievement. Have a listen to it (it's only 30 minutes long). I did not agree with all the arguments forwarded but some interesting points were made, particularly relating to what welfare provisions existed before the welfare state was introduced.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Absolutely. Said that on here many times. We should have reformed the poor laws instead. Seriously. Locally administration, parish level. At parish level they can distinguish the deserving poor from the rest, a huge faceless beurocracy can never so that.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Interesting argument on Hecklers this evening (Radio 4), proposing the idea that the introduction of the welfare state has been a huge mistake and that the country would be better off today if it had not been introduced.

Listen again here: Hecklers
    The country might well be better off indeed, although some (many?) individuals would not necessarily b e so. and since the country doesn't get a vote........

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Interesting argument on Hecklers this evening (Radio 4), proposing the idea that the introduction of the welfare state has been a huge mistake and that the country would be better off today if it had not been introduced.

Listen again here: Hecklers

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    If prostitution were legalized then, knowing how thick and incompetent NL are, and meddlesome, before long they'd somehow find themselves actively encouraging young people to do it.
    They wouldn't have to do anything - the mechanisms are already in place - remember what happened in Germany - I'm fairly sure someone posted a link to an article about it on this site. In Germany they decided to legalise prostitution, this meant brothel-owners could advertise at the job-centre equivalent, just like any other business, and a woman with no desire to work in the profession was sent for an inteview. If this happened in the UK then I think under current rules she could have her benefit stopped if she refused to many job offers.

In principal I'm in favour of legal prostitution, so the above presents a bit of a dilemma - not sure what I would want to do about it, if I were a politician. Probably abolishing benefits for unemployment altogether would be the answer. (Replace the income with the universal tax credit from my proposed tax system.)

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    hmnnn

"The drug abusers part is almost certainly true, it is the only way most otherwise talentless young woman can earn enough to feed a drug habit,"

Yes, I suppose there can only be so many models.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot
    If prostitution were legalized then, knowing how thick and incompetent NL are, and meddlesome, before long they'd somehow find themselves actively encouraging young people to do it.
    And another dumbed-down GCSE to go alongside Media Studies, Social Studies and Flower Arranging.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X