• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lining up your next gig"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Some of us can spell aren't correctly as well
    We are having a discussion about people in the North West. That should be taken for granted, in fact we should be congratulated for being able to turn our laptops on and type anything intelligible at all.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Don't tar us all with the same brush as this idiot. We arn't all the same. Some of us are just plain rude and ignorant
    Some of us can spell aren't correctly as well

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Is there something about living in the North West that makes one have to digitise every thought ?
    Don't tar us all with the same brush as this idiot. We arn't all the same. Some of us are just plain rude and ignorant

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Man do we have to carry you through every step of you career. The amount of time you spent asking questions about getting in to contracting was painful! The amount of time spent asking questions while just about to start your contract was painful and we were just waiting until you got into the contract and needed your arse wiping again.

When are you gonna just use a bit of common sense? You are now a business man. Not a permie with HR, not a little boy with Daddy looking over your shoulder. You need to start taking a bit of responsibility and standing on your own two feet making your own decisions and plans.

You KNOW you can't start applying for contracts 3 months before. The start notices tend to be less than a week, you are going to have to take time of the one you are in for interviews, you havn't a bloody clue what you are doing there to even update your CV accurately.

Just get your head down and do some work and make a good impression first as has already been said and above all start thinking for yourself rather than looking for a nose wipe every few days
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 February 2010, 09:25.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    Curiously for a collection of people who earn money by being paid for the application of their hard-earned knowledge, quite a few CUK people like those two will give you valuable and hard-earned knowledge for free here. Make good use of it.
    What a great Plan B.. Tips on being a contractor website/book/coaching dvd

aimed specifically at those who haven't worked out how to search in google or to read the guides (======>)

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    I suggest a combination of the advice given by Chef & NickF....
    Curiously for a collection of people who earn money by being paid for the application of their hard-earned knowledge, quite a few CUK people like those two will give you valuable and hard-earned knowledge for free here. Make good use of it.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    I suggest a combination of the advice given by Chef & NickF....

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    In my experience, most gigs are filled within a week. Last year I endured tremendous hounding from an agent over a gig for which I insisted the client would have to wait six weeks so I could complete my current gig, until the client said they were happy to wait. (I'd applied for the second at the same time as the first, but the second moved much more slowly.)

I've never bothered thinking about the next gig until I'm out of the previous one; then I decide how much time I want/can afford to take off before getting back in the game. Clients seeking contractors to start three months hence are sufficiently rare that I have never encountered them.

As with everything in this peculiar world of ours, YMMV

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Steal as many pens as possible from the stationary cupboard. Envelopes are good currency too.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I blame Wilmslow, though is it technically in the NW?
    Yup, tiny bit south of Manchester so it qualifies.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Is there something about living in the North West that makes one have to digitise every thought ?

I blame Wilmslow, though is it technically in the NW?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    how about look to seizing any opportunity to make yourself invaluable in the current gig so that you don't have to move..
    • give a good impression to those who matter
    • meet deadlines
    • be seen to be busy (irrelevant of if you actually are, that's what photocopiers, notebooks and 10 min toilet breaks are for)
    • never start with "this isn't how it was done at my last place"
    • always look to suggest giving yourself worth but no extra work/responsibility (tricky but doable)
    • dont put your neck on the line with a solution unless your 999% sure it will work guaranteed
    • work out who the decision makers are (i.e those that will decide to extend you or not) and ensure they receive the right impression at all times
    • do your work well and with pride as being sloppy only catches up with you in the future
    • don't brag about your rate or lifestyle and learn from past experiences with any other contractors on site (a lot of my gigs have been via people I have worked with in the past)

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    started a topic Lining up your next gig

Lining up your next gig

Started my first gig for 3 months. How should I go about lining up my next one? Should I speak to agencies, use LinkedIn, put my CV up on monster? I am hoping to stay in the North West, so anywhere within commuting distance. What should I do to maximise my chances?

Advice appreciated?

Working...
X