• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "1st ever contract sick day"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I had a cracker in Amsterdam last year. Mysellf, another permie plus a contractor that worked for me took a client out in Amsterdam. The contractor ended up getting arrested for drunk and disorderly behaviour and spent the night in jail, I managed to fall face first down some steps, shredding my suit and smashing my blackberry into far too many pieces and the client phoned in the next day to say he had an emergency dental appointment so wasn't going to make it in
    Respect!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I had a cracker in Amsterdam last year. Mysellf, another permie plus a contractor that worked for me took a client out in Amsterdam. The contractor ended up getting arrested for drunk and disorderly behaviour and spent the night in jail, I managed to fall face first down some steps, shredding my suit and smashing my blackberry into far too many pieces and the client phoned in the next day to say he had an emergency dental appointment so wasn't going to make it in
    Quality!

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Indeed! Excellent effort!

I can remember being so drunk and stoned within weeks of a contract in the Netherlands that I had to crawl on my hands and knees up the lobby stairs in front of the not-very-amused hotel staff just to get to my hotel room. Then making the pitiful excuse phonecall to the client at lunchtime.

Another memorable one was playing Resident Evil with some friends (with beers) until 05:00am and then convincing myself a quick one hour nap then work would be fine. Again, after awakening about 14:00, the afternoon phonecall to the client was not very convincing.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I had way too much last night. Got to the office at 9:15. ( 15 minutes later than usual ). Tonight I've got another "networking" event...

You girly wimp you.

( I would love to go to sleep now, but the office is full, and noisy ).
    If you drive, then you legally can't get in to work after a heavy night. Though I don't think that's the reason in this case?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    actually it was to say "bollocks, i've lost my wallet" then a little spark happened in my brain which said "maybe that's not a good idea to tell her that 'cause your so wasted you lost your wallet" so i hung up and then tried texting her as Id said I'd do but hit call instead of send SMS so i quickly called her mobile aswell.. oops
    Brilliant

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Aw bless, the 2am drunken call to tell her how much you love her
    actually it was to say "bollocks, i've lost my wallet" then a little spark happened in my brain which said "maybe that's not a good idea to tell her that 'cause your so wasted you lost your wallet" so i hung up and then tried texting her as Id said I'd do but hit call instead of send SMS so i quickly called her mobile aswell.. oops

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    offical nagging over and done with and wallet has been collected from the cocktail bar, pizza is being delivered

I need to drink less says gf chef and dont call her home phone if the mobile is turned off late at night
    Aw bless, the 2am drunken call to tell her how much you love her

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    offical nagging over and done with and wallet has been collected from the cocktail bar, pizza is being delivered

I need to drink less says gf chef and dont call her home phone if the mobile is turned off late at night
    Last edited by chef; 9 February 2010, 20:12.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Indeed! Excellent effort!

I can remember being so drunk and stoned within weeks of a contract in the Netherlands that I had to crawl on my hands and knees up the lobby stairs in front of the not-very-amused hotel staff just to get to my hotel room. Then making the pitiful excuse phonecall to the client at lunchtime.

Another memorable one was playing Resident Evil with some friends (with beers) until 05:00am and then convincing myself a quick one hour nap then work would be fine. Again, after awakening about 14:00, the afternoon phonecall to the client was not very convincing.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    a sterling effort there

one to be proud of!

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    it has taken you this long to report in sick? tsk tsk

one day pay docked!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    So, have you totalled up the true cost of last night.

Don't forget to include;
    any apology costs for girlfriend chef
    clothes that need replacing
    that box of 20 lucky strikes you bought even though you don't smoke
    the tenner you gave that homeless bloke
    oh, and a days invoicing

Ouch!
    hmm no but here goes:

meal and drinks before the concert: 50EUR
    concert tickets: 30EUR
    drinks at concert: unknown but i'd say 6@4 EUR each = 24EUR
    taxi back to cocktail bar 10EUR
    cocktails: unknown but we worked our way through a fair amount, the receipt is in my wallet, I'm going to go collect that when the bar reopens at 7pm tonight circa 60EUR
    1 call to gf mobile at 2am, 1 call to gf house phone at 2:15am: 1 bunch of "sorry" flowers delivered 30 EUR and a telling off via text message
    kebab: 6EUR (I think)
    taxi home: 50 EUR borrowed from friend (see wallet issue above), cost 15 EUR
    day's billing: 500EUR

so the total is 754EUR

ouch

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Been there, done that, bought the paracetamol...

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You can offset the misery, by the number of sick days taken as a permie. Obviously it takes 2-3 permie sick days to match one contractor sick day.
    I like it.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    So, have you totalled up the true cost of last night.

Don't forget to include;
    any apology costs for girlfriend chef
    clothes that need replacing
    that box of 20 lucky strikes you bought even though you don't smoke
    the tenner you gave that homeless bloke
    oh, and a days invoicing

Ouch!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X