• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "White cliffs of Dover is up for sale"

Collapse

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Dover is a grotty hole. It has only two interesting features: the castle on one side and the miltary tunnels etc on the other side.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Another incentive to introduce motorway tolls is foreign truck drivers getting free use of UK motorways when our truckers have to pay tolls on continental ones.
    Bad idea. One thing that might contribute a little bit to rescuing British industry is the lack of road tolls while other countries are introducing new mileage tax schemes. The key for the future is to keep unnecessary overheads for business low.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    I don't know about Winchester. There are those that say London was excluded because it was too complicated but I prefer to think that it was because London told the king to **** off which is what they did. ...
    William I died before London, Middlesex and Winchester had been written up, and his scribe couldn't be arsed to finish it (as these probably had reliable records anyway). At the time it was officially called the Book of Winchester, because that's where the treasury had traditionally been.

Another incentive to introduce motorway tolls is foreign truck drivers getting free use of UK motorways when our truckers have to pay tolls on continental ones.

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    I don't know about Winchester. There are those that say London was excluded because it was too complicated.
    That's what I heard. And at that time, Winchester would be at least as important.

'Course, complicated might have meant difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    What would the French want to do with the white cliffs of Dover? Move them to the Riviera?

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    And Winchester?
    I don't know about Winchester. There are those that say London was excluded because it was too complicated but I prefer to think that it was because London told the king to **** off which is what they did.

When William arrived he sought the approval of the Aldermen of the city of london to cement his position as king with regard to the rest of the country. As stated in one of the posts above, the Aldermen told him that they didn't care who was King so long as they were left alone.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I fear`it's almost inevitable that the motorways will be sold off to toll companies. Commuters and contractors working away from home will pay a stealth tax (ie weekly tolls) to pay off the national debt, and keep people on the bench like me idle.

Good point about motorways. We have just had it too good. Without any kind of tolls every man and his dog is on M25 for no real reason and contributing to the enormous climate change. Tolls are good and if the public want to go anywhere they can use the trains.

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    William understood what was good for him and this is the reason London was not covered in the Domesday book.
    And Winchester?

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...duce-debt.html

What else is left to sell off? I mean, can this be called scraping the barrel ? Gordon still needs to repay £ 830 billion somehow.
    I fear`it's almost inevitable that the motorways will be sold off to toll companies. Commuters and contractors working away from home will pay a stealth tax (ie weekly tolls) to pay off the national debt, and keep people on the bench like me idle.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Again in fairness, when William the Conqueror invaded, London said they don't care who the King is, as long as they don't interfere with their business.

HTH

London has never cared who the King/Prime Minister is, as long as they don't interfere with their business.

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Again in fairness, when William the Conqueror invaded, London said they don't care who the King is, as long as they don't interfere with their business.

HTH

William understood what was good for him and this is the reason London was not covered in the Domesday book.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    (Mind you, in fairness, Richard the Lionheart said he would sell London if he could find a buyer.)

HTH

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And Dunkirk?
    How would I know? Do I look like a Frenchman?

I know they did a crap job of keeping the ferries running in 1940, so we were forced to provide our own. Sadly, not everybody was rescued

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Dover is a grotty little ferry terminal. Liverpool is a port.
    And Dunkirk?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Dover surely is the crown jewel of ports with great history. Is there any such port in the UK?
    Dover is a grotty little ferry terminal. Liverpool is a port.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X