• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""Have you got anything else going on..""

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
    They ask this so as not to send your CV to the same place, its very unprofessional when this happens and can lead to the client completely dropping you.
    If the gig is real they will be telling you the clients name first.

At which point you will be saying "oh, maybe I did send my CV there recently after all thanks anyway"

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I know that's what they claim, but if so they're doing it wrong.

If they assume that any other agents will have told you the name of the end client, all they have to say is "The client is HyperGlobalMegaCorp's frobnosticator division, has anybody else put you forward?"

By using the vague "Anything else..." question they hope to get information about possible leads from you.
    I have actually had an agent ask me what the other client was ("to make sure it's not the same one"), but refuse to tell me the name of her client.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Too right

I always give agents all details including company names and the names of interviewers just to make sure

And you make sure that you have already given two references as well.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    They ask this so as not to send your CV to the same place, its very unprofessional when this happens and can lead to the client completely dropping you.
    I know that's what they claim, but if so they're doing it wrong.

If they assume that any other agents will have told you the name of the end client, all they have to say is "The client is HyperGlobalMegaCorp's frobnosticator division, has anybody else put you forward?"

By using the vague "Anything else..." question they hope to get information about possible leads from you. Also, they can then easily disguise the fact that the gig they advertised doesn't actually exist by picking any one of the gigs you tell them about and claiming that this is the same client.

If they won't tell you up front who the client is yet want chapter and verse from you, they aren't trying to avoid duplicate CV submissions, they're fishing pure and simple.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Yeah. Right.

Or you could be careful about that before you apply...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Too right

I always give agents all details including company names and the names of interviewers just to make sure

Leave a comment:

• Iron Condor
    replied
    Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    When an agent asks this, usually when putting your CV to a company, what do you say?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    "Have you got anything else going on.."

Well you could say:
    • I run fifteen girls offering the 'business' in various parts of town.
    • There is the kids playground drugs distribution that is coming along nicely.
    • I mentor a group of guys all called Mohamed on a 'spectacular' they are planning.
    • I've still got half of the jewelry to shift after last week's job.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    I usually respond with "I'm taking a pretty casual approach to finding work at the moment, I've got 100 grand in the bank if times become tough".

That normally shuts them up. Even though it's completely untrue.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    "I've only just started looking, and have spoken to a few promising sounding roles, but nothing concrete yet"

If they ask who, what, when, where etc. then I just tell them "I'm not going to tell you that, in the same way that I won't discuss our conversation with any other agents". Not too much they can say to that, I find.
    WTFS

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    "I've only just started looking, and have spoken to a few promising sounding roles, but nothing concrete yet"

If they ask who, what, when, where etc. then I just tell them "I'm not going to tell you that, in the same way that I won't discuss our conversation with any other agents". Not too much they can say to that, I find.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    When an agent asks this, usually when putting your CV to a company, what do you say?

"Yes, I have several intervies and offers already.."
    > "please tell me who with, who the recruiter is, who the agent is.."

"No, I REALLY need this job..!"
    > "ok you'll work for half the rate then"
    1) No.
    2) No.

I normally answer with a non-commital, "I've got a few irons in the fire"

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    No, I only started looking this morning, I really wanted a few weeks off

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    started a topic "Have you got anything else going on.."

"Have you got anything else going on.."

"Yes, I have several intervies and offers already.."
    > "please tell me who with, who the recruiter is, who the agent is.."

"No, I REALLY need this job..!"
    > "ok you'll work for half the rate then"

Working...
X