• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anybody freelancing full time off freelance websites like rentacoder etc?"

Collapse

• RACNicole
    replied
    Hi, this is Nicole from Rent a Coder.

Fullyautomatix asked if it was possible to freelance full time from freelance sites like ours. The short answer is yes. We have plenty of work available to those who can accept it. Some workers make tens of thousands of dollars a year and more (see the worker list ranking list at https://www.rentacoder.com/RentACode...mpleteList.asp for details). In order to maximize your earnings, it's important to choose a service that protects you, and different sites vary widely in what they do for you.

I'd like to point out a few differences between our service and services like Elance however, since those differences could influence your satisfaction and earnings.

Workers on Elance for example, cannot place more than 10 bids a month unless they pay a subscription fee ($10/month for 20, $20/month for 40 or $40/month for 60). Experience tells us that it takes many bids to land just one job. With limited opportunities, you may not be successful with a service that limits your ability to bid. Elance does not offer escrowing on pay-for-time projects either so payment is not guaranteed on these types of jobs. Then Elance charges $66-$133 for each arbitration, which may make it too expensive to be a legitimate option on your project. In addition, a buyer intent on abusing the system can stall the start of arbitration on Elance for 21 business days and during this period your money is not available to you. You also won't find any detailed rules on how Elance arbitrators make their decisions.

Rent a Coder offers free and unlimited bidding. It protects your money with escrowing, and we offer arbitration on all projects free of charge. Some other similar services don't. We also prevent abusive buyers from stalling the start of arbitration. As a result, 45% of our arbitrations are completed under a day. 75% under a week. We additionally publicize the detailed rules of how our arbitrators make their decisions.

Again, in order to maximize your earnings, it's important to choose a service that protects you, and different sites vary widely in what they do for you. So I invite everyone to compare the 7 major services through this link to learn even more: http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder...orSellers.aspx

If you have any questions, please let me know. You can also call in to talk to a facilitator 7 days a week, or email us (see http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/Feedback.asp).

Nicole
    <admin note>Home page link removed</admin note>

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I just had a look at rentacoder. Some of the sql development works was quite complex and offering 1000 usd per job.
    then rentacoder take 150 usd

so you could be picking up £500 p/w and thats assuming you hit the nail on the head every time, which is hard when the problem is complex and the spec is very sketchy.
    There are more realistically priced jobs. But you need to pick them out and put time into winning the good ones.

Bottom-line is it's certainly possible to make a livable income from these sites in the UK, if you're good at what you do. And it brings even more freedom than contracting - you might take on a new project ever week and be working on 5 things at once at any given time. You can also choose to work crazy hours, so for the kind of nerd who actually enjoys coding and would do it as a hobby, this can be a dream 100-hour-a-week job.

My advice would be to do it in the evenings along-side your real job for a few months. You'll be very tired, but able to safely make a judgement without jumping too soon. And you'll have earned some more money working two jobs to help you in the slack times.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    Why would you develop a product that needed a serial port to work?
    Cost.

That and the fact that the PIC used has a built in serial interface.

FFS, when I said we're the best in the world I meant - some of us are, obviously!

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Why would you develop a product that needed a serial port to work?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    C,mon chaps - even sockies need lurve...

(DP - you scamp! )
    Oi, I ain't no scampi, do I look like a friggin scampi?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    No he wasn't, he was a "Native American" -
    I admit he didnt wear a turban and he ate buffalo jerky rather than chicken jalfrezi, but he WAS an Indian. I saw a documentary about it called 'drums along the mohawk'
    or something

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    wow I think he might be genuine. except Cochise WAS an Indian

No he wasn't, he was a "Native American" -

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    1)No clue since I haven't seen the movie. I could google the answer but so could anyone and it would seem pointless.
    2) Right hand
    3) Gandhi ?
    4) The last two blokes I would imagine.

wow I think he might be genuine. except Cochise WAS an Indian

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I just had a look at rentacoder. Some of the sql development works was quite complex and offering 1000 usd per job.
    then rentacoder take 150 usd

so you could be picking up £500 p/w and thats assuming you hit the nail on the head every time, which is hard when the problem is complex and the spec is very sketchy.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Hey chaps

Is it worthwhile putting some serious thought into full time freelancing using the freelance websites like elance etc? I have done it for fun and easily picked off jobs from mostly US clients ( made about 5K dollars). But how realistic is it to make a living off these websites?

Oh I am a new member here ( long time lurker)

I have two traits in me that might make you hate me to death.
    a) I am a permie but would love to contract but I have a family to support and I am the sole bread earner. I dont want to let them down.
    b) I am from India but been here for a decade now. I came here before the dotcom burst and having got fed up of London underground travel, found myself a job in a small company outside London and been there ever since.

I love this forum, you guys are funny
    C,mon chaps - even sockies need lurve...

Making money on rentacoder is as real as you make it. When you start making more money from it in a month than you do make as salary and do it consistantly for 6 months, then's the time to jump.

(DP - you scamp! )

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    If you are real (and not a DP sockpuppet) you will be able to answer these questions.
    1 what was the answer to question 3 in Slumdog millionaire ?

2 which hand do you wipe your bum with
    3 which famous Indian wore thick glasses and walked around in his undies
    4 who out of this list is not an Indian. Dr Rajendra Prasad, Cochise, General Custer

1)No clue since I haven't seen the movie. I could google the answer but so could anyone and it would seem pointless.
    2) Right hand
    3) Gandhi ?
    4) The last two blokes I would imagine.

Leave a comment:

• NigerianDiplomat
    replied
    I would like you to answer the following

1 - What is your full real name
    2 - What is your postcode
    3 - What is the first line of your address
    4 - What is your bank account number and sort code

I will then pass onto you $30m dollars which has been left in a bank account by one of your distant relatives and it seems that you are his only surviving relative. Then you will have no need to use rentacoder as you will be rich

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    If you are real (and not a DP sockpuppet) you will be able to answer these questions.
    4 who out of this list is not an Indian. Dr Rajendra Prasad, Cochise, General Custer

Post of the day and it's not even 08:00. Top man.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Hey chaps

Is it worthwhile putting some serious thought into full time freelancing using the freelance websites like elance etc? I have done it for fun and easily picked off jobs from mostly US clients ( made about 5K dollars). But how realistic is it to make a living off these websites?

Oh I am a new member here ( long time lurker)

I have two traits in me that might make you hate me to death.
    a) I am a permie but would love to contract but I have a family to support and I am the sole bread earner. I dont want to let them down.
    b) I am from India but been here for a decade now. I came here before the dotcom burst and having got fed up of London underground travel, found myself a job in a small company outside London and been there ever since.

I love this forum, you guys are funny

Leave a comment:

Working...
X