• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A message to business analysts"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    "Nothing is as good or as bad as it first appears"

My experience has found that this saying is an accurate reflection on life.

I hold onto it like a life-raft...
    I think I prefer
    "Now and again it seems worse than it is, but mostly the view is accurate." (Bright Eyes)

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    "Nothing is as good or as bad as it first appears"

My experience has found that this saying is an accurate reflection on life.

I hold onto it like a life-raft...

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    A message to business analysts.

Your job is not safe. If the company wants to outsource, your job is at risk too.
    At a previous public sector client, the entire business analysis and process re-engineeering teams were all Bobs, which made it rather clear which way the wind was blowing there.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Apart from civil servants. Job for life that one.
    It hasn't been for some years. They get TUPEd and then often laid off the next day.

When the current bunch of Tories-painted-red got in, the civil servants at that ClientDept were over the moon because it meant the big outsourcing project would be stopped, didn't it? But then the message came down: "Full steam ahead doing whatever you were doing before".

They were not happy civil servants after that. Many weren't civil servants at all. Or any other kind of employee, either.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Anyway, getting back to the thread...

Has anybody ever been so dumb as to think their "job" is "safe" since the 1980s? I learnt back than that absolutely nothing is "safe" when it comes to making a living. The idea of secure employment died sometime around 1979. Anybody, contract or perm, who has imagined that their source of income has been in any way "safe" since then is an idiot.
    Apart from civil servants. Job for life that one. You can be rubbish [the rubbisher the better methinks - think Dicky's experiences down the dole office] and still hang onto your job, super inflationery pay rises and good pension.

Hold on, I'm in the wrong job ...

<.... door slams>

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Anyway, getting back to the thread...

Has anybody ever been so dumb as to think their "job" is "safe" since the 1980s? I learnt back than that absolutely nothing is "safe" when it comes to making a living. The idea of secure employment died sometime around 1979. Anybody, contract or perm, who has imagined that their source of income has been in any way "safe" since then is an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Rubbish, defeatist talk of a real loser - this job is pretty safe in my book.
    Nice MacBook in there

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    The UK will learn the "Dubai lesson"; that cheap is not always best.

A good friend of mine works in a Dubai development project. They are recruiting extensively from the Indian subcontinent for their labour, merely because it's cheap. As my friend says, "last week these guys were in the fields of Bangladesh/Pakistan/India, now they're "construction workers". A lot of their "prestigious" buildings are apparently already showing (albeit from a constructors eye) signs of failure/decay.

"Third World" call centres are becoming a turn off to many due to a poor standard of service, and those establishments that have invested heavily in them will be left counting the cost, both financially and in terms of lost customers.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by JonSmile View Post
    So there really is no safe job
    Rubbish, defeatist talk of a real loser - this job is pretty safe in my book.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• JonSmile
    replied
    The only person who is safe is the man who polishes the sign saying 'xxx ltd' registered office.

Of course he will need a helper, a security guard to open the door for him, somebody to buy the polish, somebody to pay the invoice for the polish, somebody to authorise the cheque payment, somebody to sign the cheque, somebody to ensure that these people are health and safety conscious, then an accountant to keep track of the staff costs, an Hr person to employ these people, they will need a staff canteen as well, a boss to manage them all, in fact they will be looking to cut costs before long and the sign polisher will loose his job

So there really is no safe job

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    My deepest apologies.

A message to you business analysts contractors.... your contract is not safe!!!
    Far better

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    This is a contractors forum Francko. My job IS safe because I am employed by my company. My company may lose contracts. Jeez with all the attention Hector has been giving this forum you'd think you'd know better.
    My deepest apologies.

A message to you business analysts contractors.... your contract is not safe!!!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Your job is not safe. If the company wants to outsource, your job is at risk too.

I have seen so many of them thinking that they are in a safe boat and believing that they could not be replaced.

That is until the next redundacy wave and then they are off the door.

First it was call center people and programmers thought they were too clever to be outsorced. Then programmers were outsourced and IT architects/consultants thought they were safe and couldn't be replaced. Now many IT architects have been made redundant but people think to move to business analysts position to be safe.

Guess what? You are not safe. You are just the next wheel. There is no ending to this process of self-destruction, if the company wants to send off-shore they will eventually do so until the whole process is shifted and destroyed locally (so happened to manufacturing, textile and other sectors).

The only way to be "safer" is to do what you are best at (and eventually start thinking at a plan B/C/D/E/etc).
    This is a contractors forum Francko. My job IS safe because I am employed by my company. My company may lose contracts. Jeez with all the attention Hector has been giving this forum you'd think you'd know better.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    FTFY
    Thanks, I forgot to phrase it like that

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Management will offshore everything given half the chance as long as they think they can save money.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X