• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Off the bench

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Off the bench"

Collapse

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
    Just had an interview this afternoon but don't hold out too much hope.
    It was one of those wishy-washy interviews with questions like...

"Give us one good reason we should hire you and one good reason why we shouldn't"

Came up with some bull, but should have said...

"I'm a chuffing contractor are you sure your not looking for a permie?"

Also after every technical question, when I'd thought I'd answered it quite comprehensivly the 3 of them would scribble a bit and then say "Do you want to add anything more..."

Don't think it's a goer, which is a shame as it is nice and local and the money is not bad for this part of th world.

Back to my depressed state....
    Know exactly where you're at my friend. I'm scared I'm going to start stating the truth, the next time an agent calls or I have an interview with permie hirers (yes it's so desperate I'm taking permie interviews)

Q. So ideally what area of work are you looking for?

A. The one that pays

Q. Could you explain why you've moved about in different roles in the last few years

A. I've been contracting. It means doing in 6 months what a permie takes 3 years.

Q. How have you been finding the job market lately?

A. The fact I'm even talking to you should give you a little clue

Q. Have you had any interviews lately?

A. This has no bearing on my application for this job. Kindly go forth and multiply.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Congratulations Bren.

There's another bit of bench going here. I've given my bit a polish and taken my empties with me.

As first days go, not bad. A morning of introductions, decent lunch then an afternoon to get E-mail and t'internets and most importantly the timesheet app and expenses claim forms * sorted out.

* yes that's right, expenses are paid when working away from base, which is nice because base is local.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Congratulations Bren.

There's another bit of bench going here. I've given my bit a polish and taken my empties with me.

As first days go, not bad. A morning of introductions, decent lunch then an afternoon to get E-mail and t'internets and most importantly the timesheet app and expenses claim forms * sorted out.

* yes that's right, expenses are paid when working away from base, which is nice because base is local.

Leave a comment:

• bren586
    replied
    I can leave the full packs of smokes as well then, gave up 2 months ago.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Only the empty ones...
    WSS

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by bren586 View Post
    Do I have to take all my gin bottles with me?
    Only the empty ones...

Leave a comment:

• bren586
    replied
    Do I have to take all my gin bottles with me?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Well I'm still firmly on it.

Turns out the mugs who interviewed me this morning wanted a BA with UML and didn't mention it on the spec.

Last week it was for a PM role and it turns out when I turned up to interview they wanted a Programme manger..

Back to Bench polishing for me, though Pogle has made a right old mess with all her choccie wrappers, vodka bottles and straw
    Idiots

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Back on topic -

Congrats on the new role -

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied

Turns out the mugs who interviewed me this morning wanted a BA with UML and didn't mention it on the spec.

Last week it was for a PM role and it turns out when I turned up to interview they wanted a Programme manger..

Back to Bench polishing for me, though Pogle has made a right old mess with all her choccie wrappers, vodka bottles and straw
    Oy I'm still 'ere you know! the start date has been put back to next Monday, It will be sparkling when I leave on Friday
    Last edited by Pogle; 1 February 2010, 16:58. Reason: No L

Leave a comment:

• bellymonster
    replied
    Just had an interview this afternoon but don't hold out too much hope.
    It was one of those wishy-washy interviews with questions like...

"Give us one good reason we should hire you and one good reason why we shouldn't"

Came up with some bull, but should have said...

"I'm a chuffing contractor are you sure your not looking for a permie?"

Also after every technical question, when I'd thought I'd answered it quite comprehensivly the 3 of them would scribble a bit and then say "Do you want to add anything more..."

Don't think it's a goer, which is a shame as it is nice and local and the money is not bad for this part of th world.

Back to my depressed state....

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied

If these guys can't even write a spec. for a role, you don't want to work for them

Put it down as a lucky escape, feel sorry for the poor guy who does

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X