• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "David Cameron: burglars leave human rights at the door"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    any change to the law wouldn't favour Frentzel and his ilk.
    I agree - it's complete tulip to get Frentzel into this.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The topic was burglars and he said it about burglars, easy to extend to anyone who attempts to enter house with criminal intent - murders, rapists etc.

Maybe it was designed to appeal to "to the hoardes of braying proles" as you put it, maybe, however that beats some tulip of a law that appears to burglars and alike.
    I think you were missing the point - my response was pointing out that any change to the law wouldn't favour Frentzel and his ilk. Cameron isn't proposing to change the law, probably because he realises there is no need.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Except he said Burglars - not everyone.
    The topic was burglars and he said it about burglars, easy to extend to anyone who attempts to enter house with criminal intent - murders, rapists etc.

Maybe it was designed to appeal to "to the hoardes of braying proles" as you put it, maybe, however that beats some tulip of a law that appears to burglars and alike.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    It's a shame that this thread died on the second post, because the topic is actually quite interesting. It's a massive statement to say that the human rights are left at the threshold. The Fritzels of this world would have a field day!
    Except he said Burglars - not everyone. It's a meaningless populist soundbite designed to appeal to the hoardes of braying proles.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    It's a massive statement to say that the human rights are left at the threshold. The Fritzels of this world would have a field day!

As would the husband carrying his new wife over it.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    It's a shame that this thread died on the second post, because the topic is actually quite interesting. It's a massive statement to say that the human rights are left at the threshold. The Fritzels of this world would have a field day!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    One could, apparently, post a postcard in The Mumbles at lunch time & have it delivered in Neath before teatime.

Then again, Britain ruled a third of the world at the time, so it paid to know what was going on.
    And was there anyone in Neath that could actually READ it, or did they just congregate around it and look at the picture?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Just think; the Edwardians/Victorians had up to 4 postal deliveries per day.

And no 1st & 2nd class.

One could, apparently, post a postcard in The Mumbles at lunch time & have it delivered in Neath before teatime.

Then again, England ruled a third of the world at the time, so it paid to know what was going on.
    FTFY!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I often see my postman talking to the old neighbours. This wouldn't happen if we had mail boxes.
    That's very nice.

Also explains why they had to scrap second post and the fact that now mail deliveries take closer to noon rather than 9am.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    My postman is very friendly. "Er Indoors" (Mrs Dodgy) is always baking cakes for him.

bun in the oven

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    milanbenes explained that in his "boring" long post about average folk* in the UK versus those who live in central Europe.

One thing the postman do in the UK is a form of community service. I often see my postman talking to the old neighbours. This wouldn't happen if we had mail boxes.

*I live in an area with a wide variety of housing so some folk follow the central European method.
    My postman is very friendly. "Er Indoors" (Mrs Dodgy) is always baking cakes for him.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    In the USA they have mailboxes.

I suppose their front gardens are so big that it would be cruel to make postman walk all the way to the door...

milanbenes explained that in his "boring" long post about average folk* in the UK versus those who live in central Europe.

One thing the postman do in the UK is a form of community service. I often see my postman talking to the old neighbours. This wouldn't happen if we had mail boxes.

*I live in an area with a wide variety of housing so some folk follow the central European method.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    A person who wanted to receive post?
    In the USA they have mailboxes.

I suppose their front gardens are so big that it would be cruel to make postman walk all the way to the door...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    this is a significant and very interesting difference
    You mean there's a boring bit to this story too?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    interesting discussion here

but edited because it was too boring for posh boy

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 1 February 2010, 12:55.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X