• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "cakes. buscuits, chocolates at my desk....."

Collapse

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Yep - the agent told me the client thought I was fine technically, but they were looking for someone with more consultancy and perhaps customer service experience...

More importantly tho, I made the trek to Greggs and now have some chocolate cookies to pig out on!!
    It's really annoying when that happens. Did they read the CV? Did they really expect you to magic some consultancy and customer service experience from somewhere that you neglected to mention on your CV?

Congratulations on the chocolate cookies.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Marks & Sparks for some of those £5 tubs of chocolate oranges/chocolate covered rice crispies etc.. you know the ones
    Yep - they were the ones on the weeble's desks.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Sorry to hear that MrMark - did you get any feedback?
    Yep - the agent told me the client thought I was fine technically, but they were looking for someone with more consultancy and perhaps customer service experience...

More importantly tho, I made the trek to Greggs and now have some chocolate cookies to pig out on!!

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I'm now going to go out to my local Greggs to get some cake
    Marks & Sparks for some of those £5 tubs of chocolate oranges/chocolate covered rice crispies etc.. you know the ones

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    <Homer>

Donuts

</Homer>

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    You posters really are evil!!

I'm now going to go out to my local Greggs to get some cake (it's only 10 minutes walk away). Best way I think to compensate for yet another rejection phone call just 5 minutes ago Pah, at least I can pretend to be a benched contractor still..
    Sorry to hear that MrMark - did you get any feedback?

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    What is Cake? Well, it has an active ingredient which is a dangerous psychoactive compound known as dimesmeric andersonphosphate. It stimulates the part of the brain called Shatner's Bassoon. And that's the bit of the brain that deals with time perception. So, a second feels like a month. Well, it almost sounds like fun...unless you're the Prague schoolboy who walked out into the street straight in front of a tram. He thought he'd got a month to cross the street.
    Cake is a made up drug.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    You posters really are evil!!

I'm now going to go out to my local Greggs to get some cake (it's only 10 minutes walk away). Best way I think to compensate for yet another rejection phone call just 5 minutes ago Pah, at least I can pretend to be a benched contractor still..

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Does your clientco have a cake culture?
    In my experience, the further north you go, the more this goes on.

If so do you partake?
    Ish.

Is it a contractor's place to partake in such things?
    I cannot see why not. We're still flesh and blood and it is not a work activity, it is a social one.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I have had opposite ends of the spectrum at the last two gigs. First one I was banned from any permie do, cakes, weekly coffee's. They were ok towards me workwise etc but just totally excluded from any frivolity.

This place is business as usual. If you put in your welcome. We have bah humbug permies more left out than us contractors purely because they have a reputation for dipping in but no one can remember them buying.

Golden rule for me in these situation is be eager to take your turn when it's cake day, don't scimp and save but don't be too outrageous and never welch on your turn. If your fair how can they say no really.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Does your clientco have a cake culture?
    Not so much at current ClientCo, but such foodstuffs have been prevalent on previous gigs.

If so do you partake?
    Hell yes.

Is it a contractor's place to partake in such things?
    Of course, I hate to see good cake go to waste. Unless it's going to my waist.

That's what it's like here - every day is cake day. I'm wondering what he underlying reason behind this might be..
    You don't need a reason for cake.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    obviously not too many though eh mich, wouldnt want those officials in euroland knocking on your door with a print out of the above comment?
    I meant the fully taxed and accounted for fiscally correct and Sarbanes-Oxley compliant blueberry Muffins, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    No, but I have developed an addiction to the blueberry muffins in ClientCo's canteen.
    obviously not too many though eh mich, wouldnt want those officials in euroland knocking on your door with a print out of the above comment?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Most of the clientcos I've worked at have a cake culture for birthdays/leaving dos/back from holiday.

One place the it was any excuse for cake, apparently the fact that it was Thursday at the time was enough excuse for cake
    That's what it's like here - every day is cake day. I'm wondering what he underlying reason behind this might be..

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    No, but I have developed an addiction to the blueberry muffins in ClientCo's canteen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X