• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Depressing thought when you get to the bench"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I was looking for a job, and then I found a job, heaven knows I'm miserable now

Morrissey

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Unless you become a preacher

Its a miracle! you've all been healed! Haaaalleluya
    …and don’t forget the collection; the good lord prefers paper to coins!

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Ah lads... Jesus is great and everything but he won't pay the bills
    Unless you become a preacher

Its a miracle! you've all been healed! Haaaalleluya

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    17 So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

18 I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me.

19 And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the work into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless.

20 So my heart began to despair over all my toilsome labor under the sun.

21 For a man may do his work with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then he must leave all he owns to someone who has not worked for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune.

22 What does a man get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun?

23 All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless.

24 A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God,

25 for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?

26 To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

That's interesting. A shame it goes on about god in the last 3 lines, how did a wise writer come to believe in fairy tales. A shame.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    the bench is more of a stack operating in LIFO mode

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    No, I went into IT to make a living.
    I feel sorry for people who spend every day doing something they don't enjoy, just to stay alive.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Ecclesiastes is the 1 book of the bible that everybody should read. It's
    -short
    -quotable
    -written by someone who really didn't get on with religion, and gloriously un-happyclappy.
    If you like that, try Job. It's a barrel of laughs.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    sad but true
    I see not hope of improvement until we have a general erection.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Is this the thread for smug people with long contracts, cracking rates and a client that wants their babies?

My mistake...

And I don't do queueing ;-)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    sad but true
    But why are you still at the back of the queue? Are there queue jumpers?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Ecclesiastes is the 1 book of the bible that everybody should read. It's
    -short
    -quotable
    -written by someone who really didn't get on with religion, and gloriously un-happyclappy.

Leave a comment:

• newblood
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    For all those on the bench I can only sympathise.
    However now is the time to regain your passion for what you do.
    You loved IT once, which is why you went into it, didn't you?
    So learn something fun and new - find yourself and your passion again.
    that is so true , so sad that the previous muppets brought you such an image..

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    17 So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

18 I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me.

19 And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the work into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless.

20 So my heart began to despair over all my toilsome labor under the sun.

21 For a man may do his work with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then he must leave all he owns to someone who has not worked for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune.

22 What does a man get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun?

23 All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless.

24 A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God,

25 for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?

26 To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
    The chap obviously didn't live in the UK, then.

Mallorca perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    that you'll never find a job again....

then you get one....

hopefully...

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I like OS for a SH cheater he's brill!